Thread: Using GPS convert software

Using GPS convert software

Hello all,
    Finally got my tub back from repairs and now the weather getting better, temp is fine but wind is crap, 4 days off long weekend,
    So i'm just doing "stuff" because there's not much happening,,

I'm using GPSBabel,
    I've imported all my existing Simrad "USR" waypoints and created a "notepad" list.
    So it looks all fine in list form showing for eg:

P2 S37 55.380 E144 53.181 (55H 314223 5800621)

The above is an actual mark called P2, a well known mark here in the Bay of Mexico.

After the South and East co-ordinates are the numbers in brackets (55H,,,,)
    Are these another format of co-ordinates for the same P2 spot ?

I've got a bucket load of marks I wanted to add to the Notepad list then reverse the process and create a new USR file and install back onto the Simrad.

All my new marks I want to include in the list are only in the S,,, E,,, format,
    Q1 - Do I need to convert each new point to the (55H ,,,,) format or can I leave it out ?

Q2 - If the (55H,,,) format is required, what format is it so I can investigate further ?

Thanks

Re: Using GPS convert software

Last night I spent a few hours inputting all the new marks in the S,,,, E,,,, format the same as the original file - but without the bracketed coordinates and used gpsbabel to create the usr file.
    Gps babel successfully created the converted file.
    Tried the micro USB in the simrad just now and none of the new gps marks are shown.
    So it looks like the usr file requires the bracketed coordinates, which once I figure out whatever format the bracketed coordinates are will take a lot longer.

Any ideas about the bracketed format ?
    I'll start googling now anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evo, not sure if this is still relevant but for doing batch files this worked well for me thanks to Owen.once you've entered a couple of marks it is quite routine, then upload them.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=software

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Evo, not sure if this is still relevant but for doing batch files this worked well for me thanks to Owen.once you've entered a couple of marks it is quite routine, then upload them.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=software
    Thanks Dignity,
    I'm trying to follow the link but my subscription lapsed and i'm having trouble logging in to paypal on the laptop.
    If it's not one thing it's another.
    I'll get there.
    I had a google today and it seems there's an opening for an app to be developed to do this sort of stuff, ie not only file conversion but conversion to the Lowrance/Simrad .USR format, but I guess that's all proprietary stuff,,,
    Anyway, my next step is to create the same list of marks in .GPX format - because apparently the Simrad "reads" .GPX files.
    The extra list of marks I've got is from a retired charter skipper, i'm more interested in the general areas anyway, so having to input them all manually will be slow,,,,
    But the nice part is that he's added notes with most marks suggesting things like tide, season and conditions.
    At this stage I'll do anything to get out of the house,,,,

Evo, gpsbabel can do the conversions for you. I used it for a mate who changed his Lowrance sounder, went backwards from an Elite to a Hook and it caused similar issues as they used different GPS extensions. If you can't find the conversion part send me a PM and I'll look it up and send you instructions.

Thanks again Digniity
    Using the program it says transfer complete ok so I think it’s doing its thing ok. The newly generated .usr file is created in the directory I choose.
    But the extra characters as mentioned above don’t generate.
    I’ll try creating a .gpx version today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

Tried GPSU--GPS Utility? freeware version does small batches, I had approx 20,000 marks to deal with, worked well. B ut I had to purchase a full licence. Not expensive, and it seems to handle all the formatting for you.

Thanks Ranmar I'll have a look at that one.
    I never made any progress today good weather beers and BBQ got in the way.
    20 000 now that's a lot of marks.
    I've got almost 200,,,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

started collecting from about '95 when GPS began to be viable. Had been behind the wheel of a crayboat since '79. Covered a lot of ground up to 2005 when I gave the game away.
    Biggest problem was constantly changing formats, then the conversion from AUS66 (?) which we all used intially, to the global format. We had to find a tech back then to do it, and pay handsomely. So (relatively) easy to do it yourself now, once you get your head around the interface.