Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trade a boat Australia's greatest boats

Re: Trade a boat Australia's greatest boats

Well a lot of platey lovers and i appreciate the feedback. At the end of the day not a lot of money difference in local builders to some of the mass produced.
    What about on the fibreglass side of things though?

Nothing much different with glass except that most smaller glass rigs are "production" boats. Sure, the interiors can be somewhat customised but not typically to the same degree as a true custom platey. There are builders that do custom stuff but much like alloy, if their product is any good you might have a pretty substantial wait time. On another note, one of the biggest differences between production and custom is risk. There have been way too many "custom" builders go down the tubes taking peoples hard earned with them in my time around boats - some more than once. With a production boat, the majority of the risk is usually carried by the builder. Choose your custom builder carefully - even to the point of seeking legal advise to see if there is any way you can safeguard yourself if the worst happens.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As above. Be careful when going custom. I was literally a week away from putting a deposit down for a Fisher MK1 when they shut the doors only to re-open, then go down again when Col Svennson left to start Origin boats only for them to shut the doors as well. Now Col is building with his son and things seem to be going well.

Bluewater was another I was looking at as well being just down the road from Fisher. Scott built a beautiful boat but unfortunately he shut his doors as well leaving a few people peeved.

Yup I second those warnings...simply being a good boatbuilder doesnt necessarily guarantee one has the financial acumen to operate a successful business...though the spate of belly up custom builders a few years back seems to have settled down...still, you just never know in these times of uncertain economic conditions...…

https://www.facebook.com/HammerheadMarineCo/

Very nice little 2nd hand 6m Moda half cab for 60K ono in Townsville......something like that would be a consideration if looking for that type of rig...

From reading some of these replies - I'm starting to think that there is a blurring between what constitutes a production boat & a custom boat builder. From many of the examples it's just the size of the operation more than anything. Most boat builders have a range of hulls & then just change the configuration - the level of customisation is still relatively limited though . Often the hull designs are identical to other builders.
    Take a builder like SeaJay - they are production boats but their level of customisation was excellent - When I had my Barramasta built - I had changes made to console position , cast deck length & the incorporation of a across deck rod locker …… something that was unique for them .
    Maybe it's just me but I've seen a lot of these boats over the years & most are quite agricultural and don't leave you in awe ……

I also think it's a buyer beware when it comes to these small operations - it doesn't take much to see them fold - as we have seen time & time again.
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

So at the end of the day be it cash for comment or whatever it is not on this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    From reading some of these replies - I'm starting to think that there is a blurring between what constitutes a production boat & a custom boat builder. From many of the examples it's just the size of the operation more than anything. Most boat builders have a range of hulls & then just change the configuration - the level of customisation is still relatively limited though . Often the hull designs are identical to other builders.
    Take a builder like SeaJay - they are production boats but their level of customisation was excellent - When I had my Barramasta built - I had changes made to console position , cast deck length & the incorporation of a across deck rod locker …… something that was unique for them .
    Maybe it's just me but I've seen a lot of these boats over the years & most are quite agricultural and don't leave you in awe ……

I also think it's a buyer beware when it comes to these small operations - it doesn't take much to see them fold - as we have seen time & time again.
    Seajay are probably the best small mass produced tinnie manufacturer in Australia look at how deep there hulls are compared to competitors like Quintrex i think the Seajays are made for our Australia conditions rather than a price to fit in the market

A tinny is all aluminium and that extra hull depth would come at a cost but Seajay are reasonable they also make what most other manuf dont which is huge open basic tinnies from memory yhey made some over 5 meters like this one 6 meters basic open tinny http://www.seajayboats.com.au/boats/magnum/ it shows they cater for all budgets and all sizes

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

The sea jay 6.0 max hp is 75. Seems a little underpowered

She is a very light boat Pauly under 450kg i reckon a 75hp Etec on it would scoot a long

I was actually looking at buying one before i picked up my project boat i cant recall the prices but i think the 6m may have been about 8k i was going to put a older second hand engine on it something like a yamaha 60hp enduro

When your looking at 5.5m+ alloy second hand they are really hard to find down here in Sydney for a open tinny without the huge 20-30k price tag on a 4.5-5m hull,trailer,motor package used

That 6m model would have bench seats but i have seen some nice decked out small tinnies with bench seats converted into a centre console

I considered the smaller models i think it were the Angler from memory or the basic Magnium i just liked how really deep the hulls are

Howdy all.
    John wWllis is a local down here and we often cross paths, i thought id see if he wanted to comment on the situation.
    Hi all,
    I am not a member of this forum but was alerted to this discussion by Moose and would like to clarify some of the implications. I was a founder of the Australia's Greatest Boats Competition some 10 or so years ago when both Trade A Boat and Trailer Boat Magazines were owned originally by Packer networks and then Bauer Media. It was structured so that every trailer boat we tested for the whole year was scored on a very good 10 criteria system. At the end of the year all of the top scoring packages were invited to attend the competition. Yes, there were content packages sold to eligible contenders, but this WAS NOT a condition of entry as we valued good content to sell magazines.

I can personally guarantee you that the competition was 100% honest during my time and run with at least 4 judges scoring all of the boats on equal criteria. The fact is that many small manufacturers did not enter the comp for many reasons. Some in fact had no need for any comps nor advertising as they couldn't keep up with the orders they already had, ie Coota craft. Others may even have had questionable financial history or similar factors.

Yes, we judges were paid! But we were all paid the same wage by the publisher only for our input – and to be honest it wasn’t very much. There was never any financial exchange with the manufacturers and the judges to my knowledge. I would have been able to tell as I was the one that compiled the scoresheets and wrote a majority of the editorial.

I can personally tell you that for every year that I was involved that the competition was honest. There was only one year when the short lived Editor of the time did not distribute the actual scoresheets to me; every other year I saw all the scores and comments hand written by the judges. I would not have offered my services if it were any other than 100% honest in its judging. I absolutely resent and challenge any other of the ignorant implications offered by some in this conversation and I offer my full contact details for anyone who should wish to discuss further. I am very proud of my history and am appalled at any fraudulent implications as I see on this thread.

Do you people honestly expect to run such competitions with some of Australia's best boat testers, photographers, videographers, helicopters for footage (before drones) accommodation, travel, food etc without selling advertising and content packages? Of course they did but I guarantee you that as long as it was under my control there was zero impropriety.

Bauer Media sold all of their marine and RV titles to Adventures Group a number of years ago. The group has now had a number of name and ownership changes and I no longer work for them. In fact, I quit after them changing my scoresheet in the Best Aussie Vans Competition early this year. This was the first time I had ever seen deliberate tampering with scoresheets for publication and I was appalled and disgusted. I might add that my decision to leave the group after more than 10 years honorable service reduced my freelance income by approximately 60%! I have since moved on to other pastures.

In their alleged wisdom the new group decided to drop Trailer Boat Magazine and hence I now own the name Trailer Boat - Australasia and am currently expanding its reach. Trade A Boat now concentrates on larger craft and I will resist the temptation to say more on the issue. Both Camper Trailer Australia (now Camper) and Caravan World produce digital and printed content however since dropping out of official audits who knows their actual reach?

A quick word to the Ausfish contributor that wants to “guarantee” that Camper Trailer of the Year Competition was Cash for Comment and won by the “highest bidder”. Your statement is totally fraudulent for any of the previous six years where I was a judge. Please retract your lies and an apology would be welcome. Such incorrect implications are downright personally insulting!

On a more personal note I am very disappointed at the direction taken by much of the media in today's market. It is very difficult for most readers and viewers to separate paid content from independent review and opinion. I came up with a saying some years ago which says, “Review the reviewer before you read the review! “ I give you all a personal guarantee that have always, and will always maintain the highest professional and qualified standards in my 30 years of journalism, and in qualification I began my working career as a boat builder in 1977 and have been involved in boating (amongst other pursuits) ever since.

I sleep well at night, sometimes a little poorer financially but content with my reputation and actions.

John “Bear” Willis
    Ph 0407053484
    Email john@beachmarine.com.au
    So here is a statement from John.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks Moose, excellent feedback from John. Personally I never doubted that the individual presenters were providing honest feedback on their experience of the boats they reviewed, my previous comments were targeted at the publishing companies who I suspect are "filtering" which boats are given to the presenters to review. John's comments support my suspicions, & for this section of the industry to survive in an increasingly media savvy world they must present with integrity & gain the trust of the purchasers.
    I don't understand why they go to the manufacturers for financial support when millions of social media "influencer's" around the world can make a lot of money from advertising, maybe if John wore a "man-kini" he would get more likes??.
    A business concept example - I have a new boat. Without contacting the manufacturer of that boat, they could come to me & I'd take them for a ride in my new boat. They could do an in depth review of the boat & publish it with no involvement from the people who make or sell the boat & in this example I personally would trust that the review was as independent as possible. I would certainly visit a website with these reviews on a regular basis as I love boats & even though I already have one I am interested to read about innovation in the industry. I'm sure there are other people like me around Australia, therefore advertisers would find the review website attractive & provide income for the reviewers, cameramen, publishers, lawyers, accountants, receptionists etc., etc., etc. The difficulty would be the initial period until a fan base was established, but risk vs reward is a common challenge in any business. I'm always buying fishing gear (I love shiny things) & new trinkets for the boat, so any company who advertises on the website would have a good chance of getting my business, at the moment I scour the internet looking for businesses who provide the services I'm looking for(not always successfully!). Good luck to John with his new venture & thanks for the honesty.

You know what is really good is allowing genuine owners who have purchased a boat to leave a review on the boats web site, just in general i see this with tools in America all the tools that get huge 4/5 start reviews sell like cup cakes but i have noticed in australia its very rare a aussie shop will let customers leave reviews of products maybe they just want people to buy there products be it marvolous or terrible at the cost of a sale

Without the paid prescriptions for boats talking it up i reckon some of the bigger boat manufacturers would be less than where they are in todays market

Thanks Moose.

Great feedback from John and I appreciate it.

I started this discussion purely because I really enjoyed everything about the show and have been hoping for a new season to air. I believed the judges to be extremely knowledgeable and to express their feelings honestly and intelligently, hence why I enjoyed it so much. Everything from videographers to the actual boats (especially the 2017 boats,still have an eye on one of them!) and the criteria in which they were being judged on.

John I can personally guarantee you that I had no idea that it would become what it did, so I do personally apologize for this, even though I had no input into it.
    Good luck with your new venture - I will keep an eye for it.
    Cheers,