Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trade a boat Australia's greatest boats

Re: Trade a boat Australia's greatest boats

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Well that’s crappy. I had a lot of respect for Jack Murphy when he had his Haines Prowler and critiqued it giving it both positive’s and negative’s and thought it was the reason he went with the captain magazine. To give honest opinions.
    The dollar buys everyone I guess.
    TBH I hadn't even heard of "The captain" magazine 6 months ago but while I was deciding on a new boat and motor the local dealer mentioned the publication and that he wanted his boat brand and business to be featured in it but was struggling with the price they were asking...hasn't happened yet but I see on his facebook page that ET and his entourage is coming to his business amongst others in the next week...so I guess its some consolation and Quintrex wil be footing the bill rather than him...

Its all just a big cash for comment and product wank...and can really only be afforded or needed by factory built boats anyway..

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    There are no doubt some magnificent boutique boat builders out there ……. but in the end most are out of the reach of the average boat buyer
    Cash for comment rules

Chris
    Yep cash for comment is king...!

but I totally disagree with you on your other opinion....if you do your homework you can get a custom platey for around the same price as a yellowfin or barcrusher if you are willing to compromise on a few options initially and are willing to wait a while.......just have to shop hard is all...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yep cash for comment is king...!

but I totally disagree with you on your other opinion....if you do your homework you can get a custom platey for around the same price as a yellowfin or barcrusher if you are willing to compromise on a few options initially and are willing to wait a while.......just have to shop hard is all...
    So out of curiosity - who are some of these boat builders ?

I've not done a lot of research on the topic - but the little I did do - the cost was significantly more from builders like Moda & AMM …… very sweet boats though .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've not done a lot of research on the topic - but the little I did do - the cost was significantly more from builders like Moda & AMM …… very sweet boats though .

Chris
    yeah well we all know Moda are a premium top of the range builder and out of the price range of 95% of people...not sure why you would mention them ....they are certainly not a regular fishing boat...

Just to give an idea here is a recent price sheet from Svvensons ((formally Fisher and Origin)..you will see that you can get a bare hull for quite reasonable price...so if you were to do your homework and shop around for a cheaper trailer and motor and maybe go bare unpainted hull with minimal options and put a wrap on then you can certainly go custom for similar prices that you can get a
    Yellowfin/Surtees/Barcrusher/Tabs etc for......and I think Rebel boats in Brissie can be got for cheaper still....

svvenson prices.jpg

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Strewth! In my humble opinion the price listed by Svennson would still be $100k plus boat once the bells and whistles are put on. Hull only is such a bullshit marketing tool! FMD! The hull in the end is what you get at that price. Add motor, electronics, trailer , stainless, etc,etc.........it’s is nothing more than a marketing tool to suck in customers that are clueless. Rant over!

Chris
    Offshore marine master on Sunshine Coast do a nice platey and are competitive in price or were when I was tyre kicking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Chris
    Try Rebal pretty sure same Cnc hull kit as AMM I could be wrong and you get a lot more boat for your money finished than one of the other major mass produced brands

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

i think The Captain is a great series but like anything new to the scene there will be another guy along shortly who can do just what The Captain is doing but far less in cost, anyone with a few commercial flying drones, some photography and editing skills, a good voice and appearance for presentation and anyone can do what these guys are doing, Youtube is free its basically free advertisement to the world i have some of my personal videos on youtube with over quarter of a million views and i am just a dud let me check those numbers again right now, i actually have over 1/3rd a million views on my channel my videos are raw mostly unedited shitty videos and even i get views from around the world

actually thinking about unsubscribing to The Captain i thought those guys done there videos out of pure love for boating, its a money world everything is for money its greed

my videos may be shit house but i dont put adds in and its all done for the love of whatever i am videoing

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Strewth! In my humble opinion the price listed by Svennson would still be $100k plus boat once the bells and whistles are put on. Hull only is such a bullshit marketing tool! FMD! The hull in the end is what you get at that price. Add motor, electronics, trailer , stainless, etc,etc.........it’s is nothing more than a marketing tool to suck in customers that are clueless. Rant over!
    LOL mate...…yep everything sure adds up....boats are just like that aren't they...

But I disagree that Hull only is a marketing tool.....its the relative starting point that you can get your boat built for....(and easier to get the go-ahead from the missus if you mention a $40k starting point rather than a 100K finished price......)

So you can choose your configuration and hull options, centre console or cabin style, hardtop or cheaper fold down bimini type with nice paintjob for 5-10K or painted cabin and wrapped sides for 3-4K ,then you can add trailer.....cheap 5-6K gal steel or 15K aluminium...….then motor....for 6m you can get away with 150 hp for under 20K fitted or 200Hp for 25K fitted or 30K for a 250hp...….same with electronics …..install a cheap garmin 9 inch gps/sonar for $1249 or a 10 K sonar that shows the warts on a toadfishs arsehole....then anchor winch or Minn Kota...or both..?..How about wiring, electrics and fitout and installation of all your fruit...?.How handy are you ..are you happy with a $250 deckwash pump or a $500 bigger one?...Zipwake interceptors for 3K or bennet trim tabs for 1.5K...over 2 tonnes on trailer add another 2-3K for breakaway on trailer....can you do some or most of the fitout yourself or are you paying $80-$120 an hour for someone to do all for you...?...where do you stop..?

But yeah I agree...I have run the numbers too....it you option a 6m hardtop cabin boat up with all the fruit then you are looking at 100K for mid range level fitout if you are paying someone to do it all for you..

My 30K 6.25m painted hull has an average level of fitout and I am at 75K already and apart from the Motor fitting I have done everything myself and been frugal with spending ..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    yeah well we all know Moda are a premium top of the range builder and out of the price range of 95% of people...not sure why you would mention them ....they are certainly not a regular fishing boat...

Just to give an idea here is a recent price sheet from Svvensons ((formally Fisher and Origin)..you will see that you can get a bare hull for quite reasonable price...so if you were to do your homework and shop around for a cheaper trailer and motor and maybe go bare unpainted hull with minimal options and put a wrap on then you can certainly go custom for similar prices that you can get a
    Yellowfin/Surtees/Barcrusher/Tabs etc for......and I think Rebel boats in Brissie can be got for cheaper still....

svvenson prices.jpg

But that's the problem ……. if you have to go without or cut corners to get into the price range then it's not really comparable is it ? - it's a bit like getting a custom made fishing rod & going with cheap alconite guides , single overbind & generic basic winch fitting to compete against say a off the shelf Samurai or Wilson venom .

And to be honest , the work done by Svensonn's is pretty agricultural IMHO when say compared to AMM

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Here is a range of alternatives, get a cattle boat to back-load it to Aust.?

http://www.etamaxsumatra.com/
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i think The Captain is a great series but like anything new to the scene there will be another guy along shortly who can do just what The Captain is doing but far less in cost, anyone with a few commercial flying drones, some photography and editing skills, a good voice and appearance for presentation and anyone can do what these guys are doing, Youtube is free its basically free advertisement to the world i have some of my personal videos on youtube with over quarter of a million views and i am just a dud let me check those numbers again right now, i actually have over 1/3rd a million views on my channel my videos are raw mostly unedited shitty videos and even i get views from around the world

actually thinking about unsubscribing to The Captain i thought those guys done there videos out of pure love for boating, its a money world everything is for money its greed

my videos may be shit house but i dont put adds in and its all done for the love of whatever i am videoing
    What is the link to your vids

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherfriend View Post
    What is the link to your vids
    My youtube is Twenty-Four my videos are just all random crap that im doing at the time of life,

Hopefully have some drone footage up soon practicing to fly for when im out on the boat... trying to learn manual unguided drones with no gps first so i dont dick a $500 drone and sink it

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

A lot of the Aussie plate boats mentioned above are great products & will give you a lifetime of trouble free boating, but 2 issues I ran into when buying was the attention to detail of the finish & the timeframe - the best I could get from AMM was a 12 month estimate for a boat, & several of the other brands mentioned told me when I called that they were very busy & then didn’t even reply to my enquiries via e-mail with a quote.
    To put it in perspective, I wasn’t kicking tyres here, I was looking for a $200k boat, so I was disappointed with the responses. The attention to detail of the finish was what made my mind up to go with an Extreme, the finish on those boats is the best I’ve seen on any alloy boat, & after having it for a few weeks & looking over it I’ve found 3 flaws - midships just under the gunnel tube on I side there’s a rub Mark from a sander under the vinyl decal, about 1cm x .5 cm. - on the bait board under a gusset at the back there’s a groove where a wayward grinder or something left a cut about 2mm wide x 2mm long. - 1 section of the sea deck around the bait board is not quite straight when you look at it side on.
    I’m a fussy bugger & make my living from quality assurance inspections on mining equipment - “I see everything”, so I’m very happy with the product & don’t regret my choice for a minute. I went out a few days ago in swells which made the land disappear as I went through the troughs & it handled like a beauty, I love that boat. Consider that a review, & I didn’t get a cent from Extreme!!

P.S. - 4 months from order date to getting wet, built to order.
    Last edited by Heliduck; 04-11-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: additional info

Well a lot of platey lovers and i appreciate the feedback. At the end of the day not a lot of money difference in local builders to some of the mass produced.
    What about on the fibreglass side of things though?