Thread: Hydraulic steering cylinder from BSA

Hydraulic steering cylinder from BSA

Looking around for a BayStar steering cylinder and came across "Boat Steering Australia" who have a cylinder that matches what I'm after. It looks like a copy of the BayStar cylinder so not sure where it is made. It's a fair bit cheaper so unsure of the quality.
    Has anyone been using steering gear from BSA and any opinions?

Thanks,
    TMC

Re: Hydraulic steering cylinder from BSA

I have seen some asian lady trying to flog her hydraulic steering on facebook...

Wonder what happens with these chinese products when your doing 50knots across the bay and a seal breaks.. does the engine maintain straight course or does it swivel and end catastophic? This is always in the back of my mine of such technology

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Hydraulic seals don't tend to let go in that sort of fashion gazza. Mines had a leak now for several years - just top it up before a trip. Some of the systems on some of the commercial boats I've worked on over the years, you look at and scratch your head and wonder just how the hell they still function but they seem to just keep going even though they require continual top ups. If there is a catistrophic failure it's usually due to a mechanical breakage due to either being mechanically worn in a clevis or mounting.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Hydraulic seals don't tend to let go in that sort of fashion gazza. Mines had a leak now for several years - just top it up before a trip. Some of the systems on some of the commercial boats I've worked on over the years, you look at and scratch your head and wonder just how the hell they still function but they seem to just keep going even though they require continual top ups. If there is a catistrophic failure it's usually due to a mechanical breakage due to either being mechanically worn in a clevis or mounting.
    Very low presusre units similar to trailer brakes, no issues as you say with leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Thanks for thatexplination Scott makes sense, i thought what if the ram seals were to leak and swap that fluid for air and compress under load while going wot but i guess if the helm is the filling section and the highest point all air would gravity feed back to the helm i would now assume, interesting...

would love a hydraulic steering kit on my big boat something to think about it for the future

I'd be more worried about cable steering letting go at speed.
    I had one break without warning on the driveway (thank heavens) while cleaning up after a day out. The boat wouldn't have been 2 years old. Installed a hydraulic system very quickly after that.

Cheers
    Gurn

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I'd be more worried about cable steering letting go at speed.
    I had one break without warning on the driveway (thank heavens) while cleaning up after a day out. The boat wouldn't have been 2 years old. Installed a hydraulic system very quickly after that.

Cheers
    Gurn
    I had a ski boat with cable steering that worked on a pulley system that snapped under full power luckily it had a foot throttle but boy was that scary , it threw my observer out of the boat straight into Somerset dam . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I had a ski boat with cable steering that worked on a pulley system that snapped under full power luckily it had a foot throttle but boy was that scary , it threw my observer out of the boat straight into Somerset dam . Matt
    I'll bet you couldn't get the stain out.

Always wondered how to get back to port if that happens. Maybe lash a paddle to the motor somehow like a makeshift tiller. My renegade still has cable steer, and it's getting sticky after nearly 5 years.

Always wondered how to get back to port if that happens. Maybe lash a paddle to the motor somehow like a makeshift tiller. My renegade still has cable steer, and it's getting sticky after nearly 5 years.
    After I dragged the observer and the skier back in they steered from the back holding the cowling ,and yeah we crapped ourselves . It happened so quick it was over before it started . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Did exactly that with BIL's boat, we lashed the paddle with lots of duct tape, put the throttle in gear at fairly low RPMs, not enough to get on the plane, notified coast guard we were coming in and would be late for our ETR, they monitored us all the way back. Nearly 3 hrs, awful way to travel.

Losing control while over 50kph has been on my mind for many years since i owned a Quintrex Fishabout that had a Evinrude 55hp on it and flew for such a light boat but it had old cable steering much out dated for the date i never updated it as it was still working but just the thought of being chucked out of the boat concious or not is just scary even being solo..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Keeping the rams salt and dust free avoids seal problems. Wash em off regularly and apply Inox.