Thread: Old fuel tank

Old fuel tank

Looking for some advice on an old fuel tank I've got hold of. It's fibreglass and has had petrol sitting in it for some years. It has that real glass smell about it. It isn't all that soft as I stood on it and it's strong still but I'm wondering whether having petrol in it for so long means the inner part will be full of gunk and will clog up the motor even after i get rid of the old fuel and put new stuff in there.

Re: Old fuel tank

Petrol tanks are cheap outboards are not So there’s your answer

Otherwise get it cleaned professionally or buy a kbs tank cleaning kit and do it yourself

But then you could buy a new portable tank for the cost

who knows the chemical breakdown of old fuel and even older fibreglass strands coming loose , disolving in miniscule molecular nano particles that will inevitably clog up you tiniest micron holes causing a absolutey splutter splutter conk conk blurrrrr................spppprrt

Fuel tanks are not cheap depending on size, material and labor cost...

If u think the tank is worth keeping u may be able to get it cleaned out and pressure tested, if it has any leaks at all under pressure just chuck it out you could be chassing your tail repairing it

Its likely made from vinylester that resin from my understanding is the most chemical resistent resin

If its made from polyester definatly chuck it in the bin

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app