Thread: Noosa cat 2600 stern drive any good?

Noosa cat 2600 stern drive any good?

Hi, I'm a newbie here. Looking for a boat to buy around 6-7m. Fishing/spearfishing and getting out wide around Sth QLD - sometimes solo(not the spearfishing). I don't need to be cruising at 40kts. Need something that rides well in chop/slop. Ive been looking at Noosacats and Kevlacats (having previously owned a south african cat) and saw this on boat point with a modern diesel in it..

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/d...-5554203/?Cr=4

Has anyone here been on one of these or know about them? I haven't been able to find much info online. I figured it would have to be cheaper to run than twin outboards, but have no idea about the ride, controllability or other issues.

Any info, pros/cons greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: Noosa cat 2600 stern drive any good?

I haven't been on one of those but the first thing that boat needs is a set of trim tabs. There's no comparison between a single in the middle and twins out wide when it comes to being able to trim to the sea you are in.

Twins will eat It for performance every time.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

i havent been in one either , but feel compelled to say that is a clean and well looked after cat. id imagine it would just bulldoze thru the chop from the torqey diesel, never heard of a hyandai v6 diesel but hey , it would be economical though and range is a big factor for you fellas up north. i cant imagine a better riding hull in chop however with the one leg, might have to ask some of the old salts on here how they handle in a following sea. would be my main concern.

Thanks for the replies. Hadn’t thought about the trim tabs. Think it could be a bit toasty inside the cabin in QLD and probably struggle to tow it legally with my 100 series cruiser. Didn’t know they made them with inboards - the fuel economy would be nice but there’s always trade offs. Be nice to take it for a run tho.