Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking and eating seafood on a boat

Cooking and eating seafood on a boat

Gday guys, just interested in your interpretation of the cleaning seafood onboard regulations? My understanding is you can clean and cook seafood for immediate consumption.
    When I do overnight trips offshore, I generally clean a good feed and cook them up for dinner. There is generally enough left for a cold feed in the morning. I have no issue with this I don’t think.
    My next question relates to crabs? I am planning an overnight camp on the boat with my young daughter. Fishing and crabbing will play a small part but she is more interested in just bobbing around watching sunsets and sunrises. Should we catch a feed of crabs, I would certainly like to be cooking them up. Question is, can I have cooked and cleaned crabs onboard if we cook more than we eat?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Cooking and eating seafood on a boat

Cooked - yes. Cleaned - not unless it's for immediate consumption as they then can't check legal size.

Thanks Scottar, so leave them cooked complete and uncleaned until ready to eat. Clean and eat straight away. Seems fair.

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Lee, I'm happy to come and help you eat crabs. Used to cook fish once upon a time on trips but now do roasts, Pork, Beef, Lamb, Corned Beef as it's so much easier. Will have to tell you how over a beer next time. When are you back?

Gday Sam, days off again from Tuesday but painting still. No fishing this week.

Lee, how many beers would it take to paint my place.

Dan Murphy’s wouldn’t stick enough

Caught some nice grunter on a double overnighter the other evening at hinchinbrook island...so I whipped off some fillets, boned and skinned them..just delicious looking and then went to fire up the old cartridge stove...but alas the stove wouldn't light and we didn't have a ciggy lighter onboard....

So it was cold baked beans for dinner and I had to throw the grunter fillets overboard as they weren't 40cm long...

All legal if still attached to the fish but I was a criminal to have them on board as fillets..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Caught some nice grunter on a double overnighter the other evening at hinchinbrook island...so I whipped off some fillets, boned and skinned them..just delicious looking and then went to fire up the old cartridge stove...but alas the stove wouldn't light and we didn't have a ciggy lighter onboard....

So it was cold baked beans for dinner and I had to throw the grunter fillets overboard as they weren't 40cm long...

All legal if still attached to the fish but I was a criminal to have them on board as fillets..
    didn't you have any wasabi on board, sashimi would have been fine.

OK what if you live on a boat, what can they do about the rules then, im thinking more about yacht mostly or your on a house boat for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    OK what if you live on a boat, what can they do about the rules then, im thinking more about yacht mostly or your on a house boat for a week.
    Prosecute. Up to you to prove your innocence. Rules are pretty clear.

From the Fisheries Regulations

Possessing crustaceans and crabmeat

A person must not possess:
    • mud or blue swimmer crabs with the carapace (shell) missing (this includes possessing claws without the rest of the crab)
    • live tropical rock lobsters
    • crabmeat - unless the crab with a missing shell or the crabmeat is for immediate consumption.

I can understand if they had a bucket full of meat in the fridge but not for just enough for a sanga for the next day, you could keep the same shell and recycle it for a heap of crabs, the old trick of pulling the jenny claws off are long gone they have dye that turns the meat a funny colour if its jenny meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Lee, I'm happy to come and help you eat crabs. Used to cook fish once upon a time on trips but now do roasts, Pork, Beef, Lamb, Corned Beef as it's so much easier. Will have to tell you how over a beer next time. When are you back?
    I reckon a lot of Ausfishers would love a video of how you do that!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I reckon a lot of Ausfishers would love a video of how you do that!
    $50 pie warmer is all it takes, the big supermarkets sell it already cooked now, they've just added Beef Brisket to the range, just go to where they sell the cooked chickens. If you have 2 of them you can also have vegies, I make a batch of mushroom sauce though. Cut it all up before hand, place in a small alum tray (get the ones with lids) and put it on an hour before you're ready to eat. Comes up a treat. During the day well have sausage rolls, pies, even burritos go well. Party pies, spring rolls work as well, chicken nuggets just don't work though. Make bacon and egg wraps, stick them in the morning on the way out the the fishing grounds and usually with an iced coffee every one is happy. They draw about 12 amps on start up but after only a minute they drop down to only a couple of amps.
    Pizzas can get a little soggy, still looking for the right base that will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    $50 pie warmer is all it takes, the big supermarkets sell it already cooked now, they've just added Beef Brisket to the range, just go to where they sell the cooked chickens. If you have 2 of them you can also have vegies, I make a batch of mushroom sauce though. Cut it all up before hand, place in a small alum tray (get the ones with lids) and put it on an hour before you're ready to eat. Comes up a treat. During the day well have sausage rolls, pies, even burritos go well. Party pies, spring rolls work as well, chicken nuggets just don't work though. Make bacon and egg wraps, stick them in the morning on the way out the the fishing grounds and usually with an iced coffee every one is happy. They draw about 12 amps on start up but after only a minute they drop down to only a couple of amps.
    Pizzas can get a little soggy, still looking for the right base that will work.
    That menu will take a bit of beating. Most fishing charters I have been on you are lucky to get a biscuit with morning tea and a cold roast chicken leg for lunch. SS