Thread: Minimize Rust on New Boat Trailer Springs

Minimize Rust on New Boat Trailer Springs

My SA Built trailer with SA built springs need the springs replacing, cannot buy the original springs because the Spring manufacturer has closed down. Having the new springs built by another local manufacturer, ( Chinese sets do not fit) however they are not Gal or Duragal ( or whatevere) probably just silver frosted. Do I spray/immerse the new Springs with Fish Oil/Lanolin or use Xtroll. And do I spray again after every swim.

Appreciate comments

https://www.industrysearch.com.au/ru...ueror/p/139893

Re: Minimize Rust on New Boat Trailer Springs

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    My SA Built trailer with SA built springs need the springs replacing, cannot buy the original springs because the Spring manufacturer has closed down. Having the new springs built by another local manufacturer, ( Chinese sets do not fit) however they are not Gal or Duragal ( or whatevere) probably just silver frosted. Do I spray/immerse the new Springs with Fish Oil/Lanolin or use Xtroll. And do I spray again after every swim.

Appreciate comments

https://www.industrysearch.com.au/ru...ueror/p/139893
    I only sprayed the outside of springs as told to me by an old engineer, which may/may not be true is that leaf springs rely not only on there ability to return back to shape but also there is a certain amount of friction between the springs taken into account. Now I know there are 1 leaf springs out there and it's possible that has been included in the calcs, I don't know. I do make sure the springs do get a good wash when I get home, I made a nozzle extension from some copper tubing to be able to reach. I used XTroll on the outside and when it dried just used silver paint over it, every couple of months just crawl under with a stiff paint brush abd respray the silver. Still looking good 4 years on.

Bronze Member

I use a 50:50 mixture of engine oil and WD40 or Inox in a trigger spray bottle. After every couple of dunkings I hose off the trailer, let it dry for a day or so then spray this parrots piss mixture (as my father-in-law calls it) over the springs and the hanger shackle bolts. I also give any bolts on the rear 2/3rds of the trailer a light spray as well. It does preserve the springs from corrosion if you can keep the sprayings pretty regular but can be messy on the driveway. Those dacromat or whatever they call the coatings are next to useless for anything dunked in salt water.

Thats my 2c worth
    Twosheds

Edit - I also pre-treated the new springs before I installed them onto the trailer. I laid the springs on their sides in a plastic tub and liberally brushed the parrots piss mixture on with a brush. Turned them over onto the other side and did the same. My aim was to get the mixture between the individual leaves.
    Last edited by Twosheds; 28-01-2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: more info

local spring shop..(actually still custom makes springs)..had a similar problem... the spring manufacturer had shut up shop and there were no more available....by some luck he dug around in a pile of old stock and found 4 new springs ! Still much more expensive than the "gal" chinese ones...he is convinced the gal is useless.and after much discussion with him...can only agree with Dig....nothing but constant attention...I dipped mine in silvered bitumen paint and then coated with a harder black paint and resigned myself to spending more time washing ...put in a fixed poly wash line and some garden sprays over the springs which helps washdown a bit.The cost of the tempered 40mm?spring steel is about $18/m ....once again the locals just cant compete on price ....

I had an old trailer like that it used weird one off springs that may have been from ashop that closeddown and chinese springs didnt fit thespring holders were welded onto the frame so hard to swap over to different springs

My trailer manufacturer recommended coating everything in CRC soft seal. Seems to be working well.