Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going cruising

Going cruising

Not too sure this belongs in the boating section, but there is no "shipping" section! going on a cruise today, off to Vanuatu, got my travel/fly rod packed ready to catch those sneaky fish on the sand flats, looks like a great day for going out of Sydney Harbour, see you all in a couple of weeks after I finish fishing, diving, drinking and eating......

Re: Going cruising

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not too sure this belongs in the boating section, but there is no "shipping" section! going on a cruise today, off to Vanuatu, got my travel/fly rod packed ready to catch those sneaky fish on the sand flats, looks like a great day for going out of Sydney Harbour, see you all in a couple of weeks after I finish fishing, diving, drinking and eating......
    Happy cruising Noel. Looking forward to reading about your fishing adventures following your return. Safe travels SS.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Ausfish mobile app

Good luck Noel perfect weather just dont be persuade to walk down any allyways after a few beers lol

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I'm home....caught enough fish to keep me interested, but, seeing as it was a "holiday" fishing took a back seat, caught lots of Trevally at Isle of Pines, much to the delight of some native kids who found the fly gear somewhat fascinating, just used a simple white fur fly, also lots of big Whiting, another passenger went spinning off the rocks at Mare' and caught some kind of Mackeral and lost some jigs to unknown fish, probably really not worth taking the gear, but, I know if I didn't I would have been pissed off, did lots of diving, very nice diving at Mystery Island, all in all a very nice cheap holiday.

So is it worth taking some fishing gear / lures to drag behind or next to the QE2?
    Taking the accountant for a short cruise on it next year and just wondering.................
    What could go wrong.......................

Trolling might be a bit tricky, taking miles to turn around or stop might make landing fish difficult! Depends were you go I guess, I have a travel rod that is very short when in pieces, and flies are light to take, lots of places have great fishing, and locals will take your catch if you want to give them away, we just went to the usual cruise spots in New Caledonia, very cheap and simple holiday, going again in March and June next year.

Good to hear Noel , about the only place that really interested me was the Isle Of Pines too as had previousely seen most during my Navy Days around there . Whiting like ours here were they ??..

Yep, same fish, but some were big, easy to catch on fly, probably be easier with local beach worms or something like that (if they get worms over there) Trevally were small, no idea what sort they were.

I’m doing a similar cruise next year same locations

Did you just pack a travel rod in your luggage ?

Just a few hours each day when they stop isn’t it ?

Yeah, you can take anything on the ship, within reason of course, most two or three piece rods are easy to handle, most islands are full day stop overs, so plenty of time for finding a spot, the only thing you need to be mindful of is most ports you go ashore in tenders and they put quite a few people in, so something short and light is the go, some rocks are pretty rugged, so some sort of reef shoes or joggers are needed, Isle of Pines is a breeze, just a sandy bay, walk away from the tourists a bit and cast, most common species are Trevally, lots of them, only small though, but fun to catch, then have a swim, maybe buy a lobster from a local, cooked on a wood fire BBQ, then a $5 beer, back to the family and do the tourist thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    So is it worth taking some fishing gear / lures to drag behind or next to the QE2?
    Taking the accountant for a short cruise on it next year and just wondering.................
    Often had that thought around the top end of Aust especially along WA but guaranteed there'll be someone onto you before the lure gets to see too much water.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I'm home....caught enough fish to keep me interested, but, seeing as it was a "holiday" fishing took a back seat, caught lots of Trevally at Isle of Pines, much to the delight of some native kids who found the fly gear somewhat fascinating, just used a simple white fur fly, also lots of big Whiting, another passenger went spinning off the rocks at Mare' and caught some kind of Mackeral and lost some jigs to unknown fish, probably really not worth taking the gear, but, I know if I didn't I would have been pissed off, did lots of diving, very nice diving at Mystery Island, all in all a very nice cheap holiday.
    Did the last cruise to mystery island,New Caledonia, noumea and Fiji that the fairstar ever did, I remember you could buy massive Crays off the locals for $5 and the onboard chef would cook them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    If you have the right gear and can get the ship to slow down a bit then its a chance I reckon....I'd be taking a paracord handline and having a crack anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    If you have the right gear and can get the ship to slow down a bit then its a chance I reckon....I'd be taking a paracord handline and having a crack anyway...

Except your next port would be the end of your trip. I'd made some quiet enquiries about that through some people I know in the industry.and that was their response.

i highly doubt they will slow a cruise with 3-5000 paying guests on board on a tight schedule to allow one person to try and catch a fish
    also theres all you can eat seafood on board lol