Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plurry Bullsharks!!!

Plurry Bullsharks!!!

All left the Sunshine Coast and headed up this way from the looks of things ey !!!.. Went for a Fish yesterday with only three Whiting to show for the day due to windy weather n dirty water is my guess ??. Today was iffy about going out but after a cuppa , a coffee and a game of ########## with the Missus i said ":Stuff it, lets give it a go see if we cant get a feed of Yankee Whiting ( Tigertooth Croaker or Othilus Ruber better known ) as weather is nice enough and not so windy so hooked up the tub and decided to go try some old ground but stop by yesterdays wee spot just incase water was clearer today .
    Yes it was and not long after dropping the pick we were into some Summer Whiting for a very short spell and started hooking onto some Yorkies about the nine ten inch mark ..
    Looked at the sounder and it was like a Christmas Tree with showings !! , cast net out and over with first couple of casts due to the run in the water comming up short with only couple of yorkies for the effort so stopped and waited till they lifted up a little higher from the bottom which they did shortly after and cast net back over !!!, From the viabration in the net i knew we had a few , then from the Shaking of the castnet i knew something was attacking the castnet to get to the Yorkies !!!.
    Pulled it up in haste to find several big tears in the net though a fair haul of Yorkies for the effort also and that was the end of the castnetting for awhile and just as well as it was Bull shark after Bull Shark for several hours afterwards and the only thing that kept us going was that there was a nice Blue Salmon every now and then in between the Bullsharks and the odd Whiting also..
    Yankee Whiting didnt make a show and cant blame them as they knew better me thinks ey ..
    Anyway cant complain as came home with twenty Whiting and Six Salmon as well as only halfe the hooks i recieved the previouse day from an online order !!..
    Back into Ebay tonight for more Salmon Hooks lol..
    Just as well its going to Blow for the next week or so from the looks of things as well as Moon Phases on the downside ...
    Stay home and finish of those Chairs ..

Re: Plurry Bullsharks!!!

Can your missus give mine a call and gives her the low down on ##########

That was meant to read bakgammon , or Tavli as the greeks know it . Hopefully it woint get pellcorrected this time lol

Spell check corrected , that was meant to read ..

Bit of a ritual each day with Missus n I after Brekky and afternoon see who beats who in a game ..Of bakgammon that is ..

Which do you rate better eating,Blue or Threadfin and are Blue the same deal to fillet with the big knobs?

No idea what Yankee Whiting or Yorkies are.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Which do you rate better eating,Blue or Threadfin and are Blue the same deal to fillet with the big knobs?
    Threadfin or King Salmon as i call them and the bigger the better for eating from my point of view as for filletting just take your time and no probs with the knobs along the backbone . Blue Salmon are nice chewing but preferably fresh as they dont freeze too well for too long ey.
    If i do freeze i use the sealer machine with thicker plastic so they dont get freezer burn at all and dont leave in freezer too long.
    As for Filletting the Blue Salmon they are akin to Coral Trout "Eazy Peazy" to fillet with vvery little wastage and no knobs along the backbone .
    We used to get a few KIng (Threadies ) down this way but find them more prolific in the Fitzroy , Port Alma area.. Seem to thrive in that area ..

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    No idea what Yankee Whiting or Yorkies are.
    Noel , Three tooth Jew , Tigertooth Croaker , Otolithes ruber being the scientific name for them though we just know them as Yankee Whiting ..Used to catch them in numbers once upon a time but never kept them thinking they were a juvenile Trag and then rather on the smaller side .
    Last year we have had some in the foot long size and much thicker in the body , found they are mostly found in the Bengal , South Africa or therebaouts are and sometimes in the Queensland area . Dont grow too big and no bag or size limit and arent in the Fisheries this way limit ..
    Have developed a taste for them eith whole scales and cleaned , rolled in flour and deep fried or like my Whiting , filleted and bread crumbed .
    Only occasion here in the cooler months and should be well and gone by now but have found a few still lingering about in a few spots .
    Dont catch them just anywhere either ..Also dont grow much bigger than mentioned but fun to catch on Whiting gear and the do mingle with the Whiting ..

Noel fergot about what Yorkies are , belong to the Herring Familly i think , there the sprat typpe Herring up this way or greenback Herring which are good bait especially alive for most species especially bream and Salmon and there are what we call Yorkies either in the Silver Yorky or Golden Yorkies which used to come in clouds under the Harbour Piers here years ago and propably still do though as we arent allowed onto the Piers to fish we cannot see if they do?.
    The Golden Yorky which is aprox the same size as the greenback herring or sometimes a smidgeon biggger was sought after for winter months chasing Blue salmon and dare not throw a cast net over a shoal for fear of being there the next few hours pulling them out of every mesh in the net lol.
    We used to waight with a Prawn Dilly just under the water till a school swam past and quickly pull the net up and woulod be enough to keep one in bait fer several outings .
    The Yorkies i mentioned earlier in the post are simmilar in shape though more a silver and yellow in colour and sizes vary up to a good eight ot so inches .
    Good as live baitfor the smaller ones and the larger if the Bigger fish are around to swallow them but i like to either take a fillet of each side , cut in two making four baits for the two halves and you have good bait for salmon , Grunter , Bream or whatever is on the chew and saves using up your Prawns in a hurry or leave the Prawns for your Whiting or Yankee Whiting .
    Good if you have the Grandchildren onboard and cast over a school watching the Grandkids pick them out of the castnet and keeping them occupied for the next halfe hour or so..
    Plus a bit of fresh bait stcked in ye ole freezer for future use save on the hip pocket dollarwise .
    Will try upload a pic if ican later ..

See if this works ??

Hey Volvo!!!
    I've yet to catch any of the above species...on my to catch list!!! Good fighting factor I hope...unlike Mr Lizard, caught a squillion of those critters..yummo but they don't put up much of a fight, I guess you know that.

Well!!!!!!....Guess who launched their boat and got out to sea!!!??? caught six small snaps, AKA neighbours fish. Saw a breaching whale with a baby heading south...magic.
    Have been caught up with visitors & stuff, sub branch meeting on Saturday, I have been honored with the job of flag lowering and raising on Monday 11th, a bit nervous about that, something I cannot suff up.
    Will email you when I get the chance.
    cheers Bruce
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Yo Roz , You know what they say about Whiting pound fer pound !!?? , well these Yankee Whiting are just that tad go more when hooked up and fun to catch for the time they are about. Maybe not in the League of what used to hook up on back when i had the bigger tub and fished out wide but for ye ole backbone nowadays it suffices to say the least ..
    Snapper ey , Still watch any Sanpper Fishing show on the Telly and still a Fish that brings back very fond memeories for me both Fishing around the Wollongong area and especailly Bay Of Islands New Zealand which i believe is the Home of Snapper and somewhere ide like to revisit bad back or no bad back lol.

Interesting thing I learned about rating the fighting factor of certain fish. Pound for pound a marlin is equivalent to a flathead, I had to think about that!!!!! I've caught a marlin, wasn't that difficult. Just imagine trying to land a 150 kilo flathead??? This is from an A.N.S.A. rating years ago. I think from memory a black jack up in PNG are right up the top strength to weight ratio, along with bone fish. Might look at a post about that topic....I have opinions on line class records & don't want to take your post in a different direction.
    Cheers Bruce
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    That was meant to read bakgammon , or Tavli as the greeks know it . Hopefully it woint get pellcorrected this time lol
    Lol. I'll have to tell my wife the new name for it.