Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HT model boats vs open with clears

HT model boats vs open with clears

What are your pros and cons for choosing between these variations and why you would choose one over the other if you had the choice?

Re: HT model boats vs open with clears

There is no real clear cut answer to this, a full hard top down south is nice, but up north, for ventilation, clears you can take down if you like, and that makes putting in a garage easier too, both have advantages, but, a hard top would be my choice if I was shopping.

To me it depends on the ergonomics of the rest of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    There is no real clear cut answer to this, a full hard top down south is nice, but up north, for ventilation, clears you can take down if you like, and that makes putting in a garage easier too, both have advantages, but, a hard top would be my choice if I was shopping.
    Probably agree with you. Have seen a few semi HT's with the section between windscreen and HT open, may be a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    To me it depends on the ergonomics of the rest of the boat.
    Can you explain what you mean with that?

Hard top for the cooler conditions under the roof and clears for the breeze when you want to roll them up.

Best of both worlds

Having a safety glass screen below the top half of clears gives a great compromise or it does in my Vagabond anyhoo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Hard top for the cooler conditions under the roof and clears for the breeze when you want to roll them up.

Best of both worlds

Having a safety glass screen below the top half of clears gives a great compromise or it does in my Vagabond anyhoo
    Do you have a Vag with a hard top any pictures?

Yes. We essentially used the original Seafarer SS frame to sit the fibreglass hardtop onto. Cut the rocket launchers off and sat them above the glass. That did the rear.

Added extra SS suports to hold the front up. Works well except if one runs fast in rough water and we get a little jiggle that will move the top a little side to side. Good way to remember to slow down a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep hardtop with clears is the go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Yep hardtop with clears is the go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Who makes these as standard new these days?
    Think I have seen a few hains and maybe caribbean?

If you run at night, zip-down clears win hands down!!!

All up to the individual.

Personally though - after having use of a full hardtop rig and then going back to a boat with clears, I have converted it to a full hardtop with sliding side windows. Even with a single layer of aluminium that was only carpet lined I didn't find it any hotter than being under a dark canvas. Haven't done a summer in mine yet but with two layers of glass separated by foam I don't envisage an issue. It does capture a bit more outboard noise though.

Of course IF (and in my experience it's a huge if) you can stop your clears leaking you do have the best of both worlds. If like most sets though, when a green one comes up the bow the joins between the various panels do their best sprinkler system impression all over a dash full of electronics and leaks through any holes over the electrics below, it's only going to be a matter of time before stuff starts to play up - let alone what happens if you manage to wear one with the clears down (been there, done that). I made a pretty successful career out of fixing the problems. It's far from uncommon.

Do you mind if I ask what type of hard top boat you have been using?
    Some I have seen the really solid hard tops that have the 3 separate windows would probably obstruct vision but I'm not sure how bad that would really be.

First one was a 6.8 metre Senator (bit like a Stabicraft - also made in NZ.) Current rig is a Seafarer Victory http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...light=Seafarer

FF

I was fortunate as Opti was having a clean up after finishing his boat and was giving away a range of left overs and an oversized overweight hard top that originated from Edencraft was one of the bits.

We had to thin the top considerably and remove a big chunk of Al that was embedded into the top originally to carry a big radome.
    We also had the reduce the side front and rear to produce the shape now installed on the Vagabond. The underside that had been thinned was also reflowcoated.

I don't doubt it would be simple enough to build a mold and lay one up the right size and shape probably for what it cost to undertake the major mods that were done on mine.
    It is strong enough to stand / sit on not that I do, so one could be built thinner and lighter and it would definitely do the job.