Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: And this is why..........

And this is why..........

You don't leave power continuously connected to your trailer winch. Apparently solenoid malfunctioned causing the pretzel action. Others have commented on FB about grubs doing it for shits and giggles.Busted Trailer.jpg

Re: And this is why..........

Its worth seeing twice isnt it...just incredible how strong that rope is..

surely there must have been some disconnect point at the back of the car, like an anderson plug?

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    surely there must have been some disconnect point at the back of the car, like an anderson plug?
    Looks like it was a self contained system. Battery box on what is left of the draw bar.

I was wondering that as well i have never had an electric winch or even seen one being used i just assumed u ran a power cord into the cars cigarette lighter to power the winch

Almost unbelieveable if there were no pictures it sure has made history lol

That trailer is probably 2mm steel at best that is why it crumbled the braided winch rope was.probably rediculously rated 1500kg+

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

I wonder if he worked out the kinks, , sorry couldn't resist. My last trailer for the 26ft boat had a 13000lb winch on it, but I had to run leads to a battery in the boot with Anderson plugs to drive that thing. So no chance of that happening. Would have been interesting to watch it happening in the car park, it would take a minute or so to work out just what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I was wondering that as well i have never had an electric winch or even seen one being used i just assumed u ran a power cord into the cars cigarette lighter to power the winch

Almost unbelieveable if there were no pictures it sure has made history lol

That trailer is probably 2mm steel at best that is why it crumbled the braided winch rope was.probably rediculously rated 1500kg+

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    6mm dyneema is 4tonne. thats like 10mm. plenty strong enough

Excuse my ignorance but what has actually happened there....? I am very curious as just on the weekend my mate gave me a electric winch to install on my trailer to help with me with getting my boat back on........
    JN

winch started and didnt stop and pulled the trailer into a pretzel

looks like the spring hangar u bolts were where the rails bent first

I guess if you have a kind of permanent electrical connection, it might be prudent to have a loose cable tie or something to hook the winch cable to when you are out fishing, rather than onto a solid trailer part, at least the cable tie (or similar loop) will break and just allow the winch to wind itself up, rather than tow the back of the trailer with it.

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what has actually happened there....? I am very curious as just on the weekend my mate gave me a electric winch to install on my trailer to help with me with getting my boat back on........
    JN
    I assume they launched boat and left the winch rope hooked to the end of the trailer for ease when they returned. However whether through electrical fault or foul play the winch has started while they weren't around and pulled the end of the trailer up to the front.

Interesting that most electric winches I have had anything to do with have drawn power from a battery in the tow vehicle via a Anderson plug. If unplugged after launching you could rule out electrical fault but not foul play. The Anderson plug on the back of my vehicle isn't isolated when parked.

Cheers Matt

Yeah right! As mentioned, would of been interesting being a by stander and seeing that......You would of been rubbing your eyes thinking what is going on here....!

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    JN
    JN , easy to happen and have heard it happening via Some People who have nothing better to do or want to stuff others lifes up where they can..
    I have an electric winch fitted to my trailer and hook it up to an Anderson Plug back of the vehicle incase whatever happens easy to pull off and disconnect , also use a remote to either let the boat back or retrieve .
    Alway after the event i disconnect the power lead from the Anderson Plug and put the remote away.
    Safest way and you cant stop aceholes where they exist and want to cause heartache , just a small baseball bat incase you catch them in the act!! , play a game of baseball offcourse !!!!!...

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    JN , easy to happen and have heard it happening via Some People who have nothing better to do or want to stuff others lifes up where they can..
    I have an electric winch fitted to my trailer and hook it up to an Anderson Plug back of the vehicle incase whatever happens easy to pull off and disconnect , also use a remote to either let the boat back or retrieve .
    Alway after the event i disconnect the power lead from the Anderson Plug and put the remote away.
    Safest way and you cant stop aceholes where they exist and want to cause heartache , just a small baseball bat incase you catch them in the act!! , play a game of baseball offcourse !!!!!...
    iv'e heard happening with 4wd's. pull the winch cable out and over the roof, and connect to the towbar, then watch the car get cut in 2!

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    iv'e heard happening with 4wd's. pull the winch cable out and over the roof, and connect to the towbar, then watch the car get cut in 2!
    Probably not great to publicly give idiots any ideas mate...