Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motorguide Xi5 trouble shooting - drops from anchor mode into standby mode

Motorguide Xi5 trouble shooting - drops from anchor mode into standby mode

Looking to use some of the collective wisdom of Ausfish.

Fitted the Xi5 bow mount and I'm having some issues with the unit dropping back into standby mode it doesn't happen all the time but will happen when in anchor mode and the electric loads up in current and wind or if i use the jog function. it also happens if motoring at high speed and there is a sudden direction change.

I'm thinking that it maybe load related but I'm not that savvy with electronics. I wondering if i'm losing to much voltage under load by using anderson plugs ( i have 5 anderson plugs in the circuit ) each battery is connected by anderson plugs (3) i have another (1) at the onboard battery charger and (1) near the motor that connects to the harness from the motor. overall cable length would be about 5m

any thoughts anyone heard of this issue before?

BigE

Re: Motorguide Xi5 trouble shooting - drops from anchor mode into standby mode

Voltage drop is a possibility. Check it at the connection to the motor under a loaded condition using a good multimeter and then back track from there to find out whether it is a single issue or a combination of multiple smaller drops. What sort of circuit breaker are you running - not an auto reset ? It wouldn't be overly difficult to make up some cables to eliminate the andersons that join the batteries as a test.

Thanks Scottar
    will runs a voltage test at the last anderson plug under load today. runing one of the water proof BEP 50amp manual circuit breaker same as on my anchor winch.

BigE

Dont the larger motorguides require 60amp breaker or larger?
    I think 50 was only enough for the 55lb thrust models.

hi Ben
    Install guide had a 50amp circuit breaker in the instructions. it does appear to be tripping the breaker and the wires are not getting hot,

Scottar
    tested the voltage at the last anderson plug it has 38v with no load and 36.8 under full load (motor on high speed)

BigE

Voltage is only part of the equation, amperage / current draw is the bigger animal to monitor.
    You can have correct or high voltage but bugger all amperage available.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Voltage is only part of the equation, amperage / current draw is the bigger animal to monitor.
    You can have correct or high voltage but bugger all amperage available.
    Only correct if you aren't testing under load.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    hi Ben
    Install guide had a 50amp circuit breaker in the instructions. it does appear to be tripping the breaker and the wires are not getting hot,

Scottar
    tested the voltage at the last anderson plug it has 38v with no load and 36.8 under full load (motor on high speed)

BigE
    Was that in the water?

Scottar

yeah in the water at full speed

BigE

Now this is interesting, I did run a 50 amp CB, it was an old style auto type and never had a problem. I moved the battery (running 55lb Minn Kota 12 V) mainly for balance of weight and replaced the CB similar to yours and at full speed it will run for about 5 secs before tripping. It happened several times so back to the old auto style. I will have to take an a meter out with me next time and see what's going on.

Certainly wouldn't call 36.8 volts low. If you can lay your hands on a meter that has a memory function - some will record the highest or lowest voltage dependant on mode selection and maybe a clamp meter to check on current draw would be my next step and run it till the fault occurs.

OK, so did a bit of a tune up on the outboard and took it for a run in the predicted 10 knots which was blowing 20 knots but that was ok as I anticipated it and had an area in mind to test the CB on the Leccy as I had an inline meter that measures voltage, amperage, wattage including the peaks of each. Now it is a 50 amp BEP manual reset Circuit Breaker BUT, there's always a but, at 37.5 amps and I was watching it the CB would trip. Now that was generally the case several times. I bypassed the CB and put the meter back on and back at the ramp I checked and the highest it drew was 38.2 amps. I think I need to reassess what type of CB I use.

I had issues with my motorguide which kept dropping out of spot lock and also would cut out all full manual speed as if it was rebooting. Turned out my remote battery was low. New battery in the remote and the issues went away

Thanks JohnH i'll give that a go as well no idea how long the battery has been in the remote

BigE

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I had issues with my motorguide which kept dropping out of spot lock and also would cut out all full manual speed as if it was rebooting. Turned out my remote battery was low. New battery in the remote and the issues went away

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Thanks JohnH i'll give that a go as well no idea how long the battery has been in the remote

BigE
    The MK remote battery on mine finally died after over 4 years heavy usage. Fortunately the one I bought as a spare 3 years ago worked when I had to replace it on the water.