Thread: How does the moon and tides work ?

How does the moon and tides work ?

Ok, this question might just show my total lack of understanding of everything, but here goes.
    Whether or not we believe the moon phase plays a roll in tides and fish catch, I was standing outside just now looking at the full moon and thought:
    I understand how the moon reflects the sun, and how on a full moon the sun is at the right angle/place to reflect the most moon area back our way on earth.
    My understanding is that, it is the proximity/closeness of the moon to earth that creates the stronger tides.
    What I don't understand is: why the amount of reflection is proportional to the tides ? Or doesn't it ?
    Or is the answer to my question, that the only position the moon reflects the most, is when the moon is closest to earth ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: How does the moon and tides work ?

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Ok, this question might just show my total lack of understanding of everything, but here goes.
    Whether or not we believe the moon phase plays a roll in tides and fish catch, I was standing outside just now looking at the full moon and thought:
    I understand how the moon reflects the sun, and how on a full moon the sun is at the right angle/place to reflect the most moon area back our way on earth.
    My understanding is that, it is the proximity/closeness of the moon to earth that creates the stronger tides.
    What I don't understand is: why the amount of reflection is proportional to the tides ? Or doesn't it ?
    Or is the answer to my question, that the only position the moon reflects the most, is when the moon is closest to earth ?

I'll probably get it wrong but I think your talking about super moons when you get more reflection. Now it's a few beers and a few reds but depending on where the moon is affects whether you have good high tides during the day or during the night. At the moment it is coming in to a full moon which means we are coming in to bigger tides at night and smaller during the day. On a new moon the opposite applies. And in between it all goes up and down. I go fishing when the weather allows regardless.

Tides are controlled by gravitational pull from both the sun and the moon - thus when they are in alignment (full moon as an example) the tides are bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_tide

Thanks fellas,
    The sun and the moon in line make a bigger tide.
    Got it.