Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Starter battery??

Lithium Starter battery??

Is anyone using Lithiums as a starter battery? There is not much information on the web that I could find.

Regards,
    TMC

Re: Lithium Starter battery??

I thought they could only be used as a deep cycle? That may change as they develop though. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Yes have been using a 60Ah LiFePO4 Winston Battery (EV Works) for almost 3 years to start a Honda 150, had a similar setup for Suzuki 140, started every time and running the usual electronics. Then have twin setup (24V) to run xi5.

Why though ?

Will a outboard charging circuit safely charge a lithium battery ?

Just seems extra expense for no reason

at $480 that litium seems a reasonable price - if it lives up to the extended life etc. A good lead acid starting is battery is near $200

I didn't think there was available a LiFePO4 cranking battery - There are some small batteries meant for motor bikes but nothing that would be recommended for an outboard
    I asked Fusion - around 6 months ago and they said Nah ! (not at this stage)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I spoke to some guys selling marine Start lithium. Around $400-500 from memory. I have the literature somewhere here and can dig it out. It would be a decent weight saving if your boat had 2 of 3 batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decent weight saving yes but I don’t think lithium’s are setup as cranking batteries only house use.

Quote Originally Posted by cpt snapper View Post
    Yes have been using a 60Ah LiFePO4 Winston Battery (EV Works) for almost 3 years to start a Honda 150, had a similar setup for Suzuki 140, started every time and running the usual electronics. Then have twin setup (24V) to run xi5.
    The Winstons were the only ones that I found on the web. I think one bloke chassis mounted a 90Ah to get away from engine bay heat on a Patrol and another fellow had them mounted in a RV as starter batteries.
    Wasn't there a youtube clip posted here a while ago with an auto sparky giving them a rap (different brand if I recall correctly). My batteries on the Whittley are at the back and Lithiums would lose a fair amount of weight and more usable Ah.

TMC

Yes, agree baitable, I always understood lithium were deep cycle type use.

Dig out the info from boat show.
    Www.greenenergylimited.com

At the show was via klmelectrics contact 0755461466

I am not affiliated and have never used their products...

Says designed for marine start batteries. Has up to 1500cca at 80ah for 7.2kg.

Interestingly, I have twin suzuki115. They were suggesting the smaller 1100cca at 40ah for 3.8kg. If I had a pair of these I would carry a third house battery probably. One of my start battery runs house currently. Logic being 40ah lithium is comparable to 80ah agm for house use.

Specs say cannot be connected in series or parallel.

Thanks Darren,
    This might be just what I'm looking for.

TMC

Yeah.. the weighs, prices ( compared to the typical $1000 give or take lithium price) and capacities caught my eye. Granted these are not as big as the dearer deep cycle lithium’s.

They use light weight lithium batteries for race cars etc. that I believe are dedicated start batteries, so don’t see why they couldn’t crank over a boat motor.

Before i jump to conclusions are we talking about lithium polymer or lithium ion battery cells made into a boat battery? If so that is nuts

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

They say lifepo4 which is lithium iron phosphate I believe. Not the high risk type I don’t think. Someone more knowledgeable might chime in.

Would be interesting to know how they differ to ones used on aircraft. Boeing had to encase their's to prevent fire spread in case of thermal runaway, which happened in some of the early 787's!