Thread: Logging on early morning.

Logging on early morning.

This question is for anyone who fishes off Brisbane. Last time I ventured out wide through the SPB I couldn't find anyone to log on with. I tried a number of channels without luck. It wasn't till after 6.30 I was able to log on.
    Who do you use to log on with at 5am or earlier in the morning before crossing the bar ?

Sent from my [device_name] using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Re: Logging on early morning.

I thought you can do it online.

I know nsw has a marine rescue app you can download to your phone, and log on and off via that app.
    Be nice if qld and other states followed.
    Smile, It confuses people

Only station I know of located within cooee (apart from VTS Brisbane who handle the commercial traffic in the river) that maintains a 24 hour, 7 days a week radio watch is VMR Southport. You might get them on a repeater channel. Worst case scenario, you could call them on the phone.

Have the same thing at home as I normally leave around 4 so I just log on and off with the SafeTrx app
    It works one time I forgot to log off and my phone was in the shed and I was on the throne and my partner got a message that SAR had been initiated at least they can track your exact location you just have to make sure your phone doesn’t go flat

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Have the same thing at home as I normally leave around 4 so I just log on and off with the SafeTrx app
    It works one time I forgot to log off and my phone was in the shed and I was on the throne and my partner got a message that SAR had been initiated at least they can track your exact location you just have to make sure your phone doesn’t go flat

Same problem for me as I normally leave Manly harbour around 5.00AM before Cleveland VMR or Brisbane Coastguard are on station. I logon with an app called BoatBeacon and confirm my position and intentions after 7.00AM on VHF. You must also logoff on VHF following your return to avoid causing any confusion with the MSA. I once had an irate call from Mooloolaba VMR for not doing this after a completing a trip to Deep Tempest. Apologies to VMR were made and a lesson learnt. Obviously they can track your position very accurately as I was within their marine coverage. Could be an issue if you want to protect your prime fishing marks.

For interested boaties going offshore from SPB there is a mobile phone seminar to be held at RQYS auditorium on Wednesday 24 October 7-9.00PM. Bookings can be made by contacting:

fergus@rqys.com.au

Cheers SS

Jason, do you use the track only mode or the sail plan mode.

Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    Jason, do you use the track only mode or the sail plan mode.

I use the sail plan and then my emergency contact can also click the link on the text message and see where I am and I also get to see how far I actually travelled also

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

VMR Jacobs Well - works for me

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    VMR Jacobs Well - works for me
    Are you going thru jumpinpin bar or spb

I use the sail plan and then my emergency contact can also click the link on the text message and see where I am and I also get to see how far I actually travelled also

Been playing around with it in my lounge room. I assume you just put in your start position in and it creates a track as you go ?. Once you get back to the ramp or end position you just end your journey?.

Been playing around with it in my lounge room. I assume you just put in your start position in and it creates a track as you go ?. Once you get back to the ramp or end position you just end your journey?.

Sort of put in start location then optional waypoints where you are going then end way point do the check list and send don’t put the phone below the dash or you disappear from the satellite it won’t do anything crazy just it can’t track you and make sure it doesn’t go flat
    Over nighters also log on with the VMR or Coastguard the more the merrier

Are you going thru jumpinpin bar or spb

Usually use the pin bar, but last trip out, we left from Manly and ventured through the SPB. They are 24/7/365 and that works for me. I'm a member of VMRJW, they have all of my details at hand to pass on to relevant VMR's in case of emergency.