Thread: Light baitcast blank to suit Calcutta 50 or 100

Light baitcast blank to suit Calcutta 50 or 100

Greetings all,
    I have done a number of searches of this forum ( so apologies if I have missed the thread if there is one) to get some advice about building a light b/c rod to suit a small Calcutta. In carrying on my tradition of building way more rods than I actually ever use (and in this case no reel yet) I was very interested in any suggestions for this build. I think an NV7 will be too much oomph although will build one of these later as a barra type rod. What I would like would be a lighter version of an NV7.

Thinking about using around 4-5kg braid with said Calcutta, casting lures and also baits with small leads for bream etc.

thanks all in advance , Mike

Re: Light baitcast blank to suit Calcutta 50 or 100

I use a bait cast set up for whiting fishing down the Nerang - easiest reel to freespool line to fussy biters that I have found. I ended up modifying a cheap nibble tip into a spiral guided set up with a trigger grip - works a treat. Just another option.

Hi Scott,
    you have totally lost me buddy, sorry. No idea what a nibble tip is and the description of a spiral bind with trigger.

MHX CS721 6ft 6to10lb. MHXC722 6ft 6to12lb have a look at Therodworks.com.au.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    Hi Scott,
    you have totally lost me buddy, sorry. No idea what a nibble tip is and the description of a spiral bind with trigger.
    A nibble tip is a spin rod with an ultra light tip (much lighter than would ever be used in a conventional baitcast set up) for bite detection. A spiral wrap literally has the guides starting on one side for the baitcaster and wrapping around the blank to finish under the rod like a spin set up. Eliminates rod torque under load and allows for much lighter action blanks to be used than with a conventional baitcast set up. It also allows for a lower number of guides as it isn't necessary to hold the line off the blank once it goes around the rod.

Thanks Chris,
    i actually have just put an order to Ross last week but will note these blank numbers and have a look at them. Im sure i can add it to my next order.
    Mike

Thanks Scott for your detailed reply. I’ve seen a few people on this forum talk about spiral wrapped rods before but have never seen one in the flesh. What you say makes sense in terms of load spreading on a very light blank.