Thread: Boat trailer advice 4.5m tinny - steel RHS or alloy etc

Boat trailer advice 4.5m tinny - steel RHS or alloy etc

Hi all,

I am looking for recommendations (with anoption for welded alloy and galvanised steel) for my 4.5m aluminium boat. The boat is a Bluefin 4.5 with 3mm bottom and 2.5mmsides. It’s a very beamy boat. Being a side console it is heavieron one side.

I am looking at good quality drive on trailer. Thecurrent one is a Dunbier centreline. I am looking for mechanical override brakes. Single axle.

I am looking at ease of loading (drive on preferable) andlongevity. Weight is not a concern.

My requirements that all places could easily meet are:
    • Either Australian/USA Timken wheel bearings or Japanese wheel bearings;
    • 14 inch galvanised steel or aluminium rims with 60 or 70 profile tyres in lighttruck specification;
    • Easy load set up – most of the boat weight shouldbe run on the keel which would likely rule out anything but keel rollers and slides;
    • A quality 3 speed mechanical (low geared) winch with Dynema or similarsynthetic rope and stainless hook;
    • A waterproof reversing spot/spreader LED light at the rear of the trailer (mycurrent set up has this and it is invaluable) – a bright useful reversinglight;
    • A jockey wheel with ratchet mechanism to allow me to wheel the boat acrossconcrete with a big wheel;
    • Waterproof Narva LED submersible or equivalent rear light clusters withwaterproof wiring loom to a 7 pin round plug;
    • Spare wheel, tyre on a spare holder mounted on the winch post;
    • Aluminium treadplate walkway from the winch post to the rear most cross memberof the trailer;
    • A build that will allow for some corrugated dirt roads use without causing anystructural issues;
    • Override brakes of good quality (Galvanised is fine – I don’t need stainlessrotors and callipers);
    • Genuine Bearing Buddies;
    • Fitting my boat to the trailer;
    • 12 months registration for the trailer.

I am easy as to alloy or galved RHS - I wash down my trailer and look after it.

My Dunbier centreline is an oldie - 25 years old heavy duty box steel, long draw bar and has lasted very well, but I doubt the newer ones are like it.

Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers!
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Re: Boat trailer advice 4.5m tinny - steel RHS or alloy etc

Give belco at Brendale a call and tell them what you want as a starter ,they make a good trailer . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

your new trailer will not last anywhere as long as the old one

ive had a couple of alloy ones now in that size and smaller and they have been fine
    i dont know how well they perform in tough conditions like dirt corrugated roads, they wobble like a wet noodle with no boat on them

Always had a good run with Redco trailers. First one made it 20 years with only a fresh water wash before needing a new back end. Current one gets a semi regular rust proof and is rust free at 13 years. They do offer a channel frame gal trailer now as well which will make wash down and rust proofing a bit easier.

redco is nice, good gal adhesion that lasts

I am a fan of the 'C' channel trailers as a better option than the box section galvanised

Right opted for Oceanic Trailers in box mild steel and hot dipped. Going to thoroughly paint with Xtroll Rust Conqueror UV inside and out which should pretty much double it's life.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing