Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Exhaust Corrosion f225

Unhappy Yamaha Exhaust Corrosion f225

Brisbane Yamaha have advised I have exhaust corrosion. Exhaust Gas bubbles are comming out of the wrong place. The motors are 2003 models with 700 hours each.
    I have read a lot about this problem. however, I have not read about any Australian that has had this problem.
    Brisbane Yamaha say they will not attempt a repair as they said they did one once and it was extremely difficult. In their exact words "we will not be touching it" . This sort of leaves me high and dry. Has anyone repaired this problem? Should I not spend any money on the engines and get new ones? Apart from this problem the engines have been problem free. The vessel is in Scarborough Brisbane.

Re: Yamaha Exhaust Corrosion f225

I may have posted in the wrong place. not sure how to move it.

Contact a mod to move it, don't know why they won't fix it, pretty common repair, plenty have done it themselves, as long as the bottom of the block is OK (it usually is) then it's just a nuts and bolts repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Contact a mod to move it, don't know why they won't fix it, pretty common repair, plenty have done it themselves, as long as the bottom of the block is OK (it usually is) then it's just a nuts and bolts repair.
    Noel, I am pretty sure that I saw posts on THT that mentioned that Yamaha have a service/repair kit available for this repair?

At least dealers in the USA seem to have access to the repair kit eg SIM Yamaha?

Micky - I think it would be worth phoning a different Yamaha dealer - the better ones in SEQ would be Northside Marine or Stones Corner Marine. Ask them about the repair and ask about the Yamaha kit to do the job.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Try Aqua Mobile Marine, Ryan or Jim
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

try another dealer/mechanic , im finding mechanics are becoming lazy these days and dont want to do real work. or work that is unprofitable.

Yamaha Exhaust Corrosion f225

Found this on THT

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...=#post12453929

And found this one on boatus.com

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012...Complaints.asp

The repair kit

https://www.simyamaha.com/YAMAHA_EXH...xhkt-04-00.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    try another dealer/mechanic , im finding mechanics are becoming lazy these days and dont want to do real work. or work that is unprofitable.
    Finding someone who will actually 'fix' something these days is hard,most just want to bolt on an entire section.For example,my car ignition recently fell apart,went to the dealer and the verdict was $1500 for a steering column,my comment was that I didn't need the two hundred odd bits that weren't part of the ignition barrel.....he said 'it is what it is'.Had this not happened in my shed they would have probably had me by the short and curlys .As it turned out I eventually found a bloke that had taken the time to work it out and fixes car ignitions for $350-$400.I guess people like this will eventually disappear.Make sure you exhaust all avenues before costing yourself the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Found this on THT

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...=#post12453929

And found this one on boatus.com

https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012...Complaints.asp

The repair kit

https://www.simyamaha.com/YAMAHA_EXH...xhkt-04-00.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Good work Shakey!

The parts look like $US750 so could be $1200 here, plus labour if you are not confident to do it yourself or have mates that can help with this kind of job.

As others have said, some dealers just sell motors and do basic routine maintenance. Others, like Stones Cnr, do serious work on motors.

I guess it will come down to the costs of the kit here in Aus, the labour cost to do it, and balancing that against whether you think its worth investing that kind of money in a 16 year old motor.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Only dealt with Brisbane Yamaha once and if customer service in maint! is anything like their sales department I’m not surprised! Was like pulling teeth trying to get someone interested in taking 40k for a couple of new motors! Needless to say I walked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Not that I'm a fan of the company in question (courtesy of a best mate's experience with their service department), but if they tried to do the repair by getting the old exhaust welded up to keep costs down, it would have probably been pretty difficult to get a satisfactory result. It will be interesting to see the cost of parts. The kit is cheap enough I guess in the US but they were also subject to a class action over there so the pricing may be in response. I wouldn't be buying any parts until the engine is stripped down as some have required a lot more than just a kit - basically making the engine a right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Good work Shakey!

The parts look like $US750 so could be $1200 here, plus labour if you are not confident to do it yourself or have mates that can help with this kind of job.

As others have said, some dealers just sell motors and do basic routine maintenance. Others, like Stones Cnr, do serious work on motors.

I guess it will come down to the costs of the kit here in Aus, the labour cost to do it, and balancing that against whether you think its worth investing that kind of money in a 16 year old motor.
    Yes it all comes down to the cost versus replacement. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Noel, I am pretty sure that I saw posts on THT that mentioned that Yamaha have a service/repair kit available for this repair?

At least dealers in the USA seem to have access to the repair kit eg SIM Yamaha?

Micky - I think it would be worth phoning a different Yamaha dealer - the better ones in SEQ would be Northside Marine or Stones Corner Marine. Ask them about the repair and ask about the Yamaha kit to do the job.
    Northside Marine will remove the gear box and inspect the extent of any corrosion. Its the extent of the corrosion that will determin the next step. I will keep you posted when i get the results. Thanks for the referal to NSM. Cheers Micky

Sent from my SM-G960F using Ausfish mobile app

Mate had the replacement done recently and cost about 4K parts and labor. Have to remove powerhead. Yamaha say the exhaust housing is a serviceable item with approx 700hr lifespan

Thanks Paul. Nice to jear from someone who has solved the problem. Who did the job for you?
    Cheers Micky
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul071978 View Post
    Mate had the replacement done recently and cost about 4K parts and labor. Have to remove powerhead. Yamaha say the exhaust housing is a serviceable item with approx 700hr lifespan
    Sent from my SM-G960F using Ausfish mobile app