Thread: Motorguide cut-off switch installation..

Motorguide cut-off switch installation..

Hi guys I am just wiring up my boat and am on the trolling motor at the moment...

I am putting in a low voltage cut off switch to protect the lithiums …

I m installing it in the positive line from the Battery to the motor but am wondering whether to put it before of after the 50 amp circuit breaker also in that line...or doesn't it matter if its before or after..?

TIA Scott

Re: Motorguide cut-off switch installation..

Put before the breaker, there is no circuit protection for it shoud it fail and create a short circuit (probably very unlikely) unless it has it's own suitably sized fuse - sized to suit the capacity of the negative wire for the cut out. It will also be drawing current continuously.

Put after the breaker, it could potentially cut out a bit early if there is any voltage drop across the breaker and associated connections when the motor is drawing heavy current then reconnect once the current stops and the voltage comes up again. Might be problematic for the units electronics.

Provided the breaker and other connections are all good, after the breaker poses the least hassle.

Thanks Scott so i did put the cut off switch after the breaker....

Thought i had it all worked out...but when I switched the breaker on ..a big fat nada...

What the hell have I done wrong...?...

Battery to breaker..breaker to cut off...cut off to motor....

other side, negative battery to shunt...shunt to motor....(also Phone type cable from shunt to Victron battery monitor as well as a couple of sensors from shunt to positive battery)

..IMG_0509.jpg

The low voltage cut out must have a negative conection to it somewhere to sense the voltage.

How did you get on Disorderly?

All sorted Scott...now I just have to learn to set up and use the battery monitor..
    Attached Images Attached Images