Thread: Trailer Bearings

Trailer Bearings

Hi Guys and Girls,

i have a 2005 redco trailer with 13inch wheels i was wondering if it would take the standard holden bearings. if some one has an idea that would be awesome.

thanks,

Mav

Re: Trailer Bearings

Quote Originally Posted by maverik View Post
    Hi Guys and Girls,

i have a 2005 redco trailer with 13inch wheels i was wondering if it would take the standard holden bearings. if some one has an idea that would be awesome.

thanks,

Mav
    Need more info, what sort of axle is it, round or square and size as generally that will determine your bearings. If a dual axle then could be ford type but the diameter of the axle is needed.

Pull them out and take to a bearing shop. Easiest way of getting the right ones and good quality ones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Pull them out and take to a bearing shop. Easiest way of getting the right ones and good quality ones too.
    That works also, but take the whole hub in then you can identify wheel stud pattern as well which you will need if buying a hub or spare rim in the future.

there is holden and there is ht holden too........im guessing ht bearings on 13 inch is common

I had a bearing failure a few months back just outside port kembla i went to the local super cheap auto bought ford bearings had to take them back and get holden bearings

Best way as mentioned already take your old bearing in with u

If your old bearings are still ok its worth greasing them and double zip lock bagging the put a set a side up the front of the boat incase u ever need it

When i broke down it was afternoon i was just lucky to make it to super cheap auto donno what would have happen if they were closed

Make sure you get the good seals suitable for boat trailers if you source your bearings individually.

There is no way to know for sure until you pop the hub open and either read the numbers on the bearing or measure the axle journals and hub ID's.
    You can buy off the shelf any bearing type to fit any wheel stud pattern on any style of hub.
    Measuring the axle square or diameter does not in any way determine the bearings installed.
    Jack.

The trailer plate might have bearing details printed on it. My current trailer does, including bearing part numbers.

thanks guys you were very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I had a bearing failure a few months back just outside port kembla i went to the local super cheap auto bought ford bearings had to take them back and get holden bearings

Best way as mentioned already take your old bearing in with u

If your old bearings are still ok its worth greasing them and double zip lock bagging the put a set a side up the front of the boat incase u ever need it

When i broke down it was afternoon i was just lucky to make it to super cheap auto donno what would have happen if they were closed
    Something my mate has that I would like to do one day is have the spare mounted to a complete hub which is mounted via the end of an axle welded to a flat piece of steel then bolted to his winch post.If he gets a flat tyre couple of wheel nuts and he's going again,cook a bearing and he can remove the cap/nut on the post pull the whole lot off and slide it on and tension it and he's going in literally no time.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I do that myself, and have had to use it. Not for bearing failure, I pride myself on doing that properly, but I had alloy rims on that trailer at the time, and they were forever loosening off. The oxide buildup between the inside of the rim and the steel hub meant they were forever shuffling. I forgot to tighten them one night on a multi-day highway trip, and lost one 300 k into the next day. Thankfully, I felt something was wrong and was slowing when I lost it off the left and it went bush. So all the studs were sheared or just stuffed. Having a complete hub to change over beat having to bang new studs in beside the road middle of nowhere.
    You can buy this setup ready made from trailer manufacturers for not much, just be sure to get the stub and hub to match your wheels. 13''s mostly seem to be HT holden, 14's are largely Ford Slimline.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    There is no way to know for sure until you pop the hub open and either read the numbers on the bearing or measure the axle journals and hub ID's.
    You can buy off the shelf any bearing type to fit any wheel stud pattern on any style of hub.
    Measuring the axle square or diameter does not in any way determine the bearings installed.
    True, but often a good general indicator if one is not sure. Had an instance where another boats bearings completely failed i.e. nothing but a bit of old races welded onto the axle. I had several sets with me (run 2 different types of bearings on different trailers and too lazy to separate them out when on the road) and just looked at the axle and picked the right one. There are dodgy operators out there who fit anything and everything. I also carry a complete spare hub as sometimes cheaper to buy when there is a sale on than just bearings, might be cheap Chinese but on the road it will get you out of trouble, change bearings to good ones later.

Maverick, you can ring Mayfair and they will give you the details as they haven't changed their axles or rims sizes.

Just make sure to get good quality bearings Timken or Koyo are my preferred brands

Yeah u get what u pay for Japanese are very high quality in almost everything u buy, never really knew what all the fuss was about with Chinese steel untill i was machining some on the lathe the other week now i know its absolutely rubbish filled with impurities just really cheap and poor steel