Thread: Baitcast Reel Maint

Baitcast Reel Maint

G'day all , after some opinions on whats best with your Baitcast Reels after Fishing trips??..I always just hose down with fresh water and whenevr in the mood i pull apart and clean ,oil.
    Did so recently and one starting winding a tad slugish today whilst fishing so pulled apart when came home to find the bearing below the drag/winding mechanism seezed.
    Suppose shouldnt complain as first one to give me this type of grief . Not an expensive Reel so might be in the expected arena ??..
    Maybe should spray with some sort of lube spray also after hosedown ??..
    Anyhow visit to bearing supplies for simmillar bearing ..

Re: Baitcast Reel Maint

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    G'day all , after some opinions on whats best with your Baitcast Reels after Fishing trips??..I always just hose down with fresh water and whenevr in the mood i pull apart and clean ,oil.
    Did so recently and one starting winding a tad slugish today whilst fishing so pulled apart when came home to find the bearing below the drag/winding mechanism seezed.
    Suppose shouldnt complain as first one to give me this type of grief . Not an expensive Reel so might be in the expected arena ??..
    Maybe should spray with some sort of lube spray also after hosedown ??..
    Anyhow visit to bearing supplies for simmillar bearing ..
    You need to oil the bearings and level wind quite regulary otherwise casting performance will drop off. Be careful about 'hosing reels' as this will drive water and salt inside. A very gentle spray such as a spray bottle or under the shower at low pressure is safer.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    You need to oil the bearings and level wind quite regulary otherwise casting performance will drop off. Be careful about 'hosing reels' as this will drive water and salt inside. A very gentle spray such as a spray bottle or under the shower at low pressure is safer.
    Under the Shower !!?? , Missus might think ive lost it lol.. Yep know what you mean but have been hosing down my Rod n Reels after an outing for years get the salt spray off hte whole outfit and let stand for awhiler dry off , then every so often strip down reels clean , oil ,grease .
    Like i said will need to pay a visit to bearing supplies or order new bearing ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Under the Shower !!?? , Missus might think ive lost it lol.. Yep know what you mean but have been hosing down my Rod n Reels after an outing for years get the salt spray off hte whole outfit and let stand for awhiler dry off , then every so often strip down reels clean , oil ,grease .
    Like i said will need to pay a visit to bearing supplies or order new bearing ..
    Why not - that you are hosing is probably why you had a seized bearing. You can wash the rod and any attached lures at the same time in the shower and it's low pressure (if you have it turned down low). If you must hose use a trigger nozzle turned to mist.

Should never use a direct jet of water on the reels as it will force its way in. Sponge warm soapy water over the reel to get the salt off then sponge warm water then leave in the sun to dry then lightly spray Lenox (sheep wool grease)which does not affect your line and if u get it on your hands it has no effect on bait or lures a lanolin is a natural lubricant and is not petroleum based

Agree that you shouldn't hose down your reels - spray bottle & wipe down …… I then usually use a spray - CRC Tackle guard is what I've mainly used for the past 20 years ….. it's expensive but it does a great job & it definitely doesn't affect the line .
    I have also more recently used the Mako Oil lube spray …… it seems ok

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nip the drag up then under a gentle warm shower,once out,side plate off,spool out,let dry for up to twenty four hours then a single drop of red hot sauce oil on each exposed bearing (make sure you put it where it can get in) couple of drops on the Archimedes screw and a drop in each handle,then back together with the drag backed off.I never spray anything on the reel.

Lanotec is great - Lanolin is a grease from sheep's wool which lubricates fishing reels and prevents corrosion, good stuff everywhere on boats and tackle.

I never would hose a reel, just wipe it down with a rag and then a drop of oil on bail arm and roller bearing on spinning reel and a drop of oil on level wind on baitcaster..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I never would hose a reel, just wipe it down with a rag and then a drop of oil on bail arm and roller bearing on spinning reel and a drop of oil on level wind on baitcaster..
    With your spin reels it doesn't hurt to remove the spool,put the shaft to the top of it's travel,apply a few drops at the base of the shaft and then wind it a few times.After that ,if the reel has the main gear supported on bearings,remove the handle completely which will give you access to the bearing either side and providing there is no crud you can lube them as well.

Thanks for the replies fellas and good also for others , as previousely said , never had this problemo before and maybe just the cheaper reels available nowadays it happens to especially if one susses out where they are made ??..
    Anyhow have ordered another bearing for this reel as didnt feel like fitting a bush in its place .
    Will have to be more cautiouse how i was , and maintain in the future .
    Have bout a few more baitcaster reels that have been on good specials of late "Just Incase " lol .

Jesus you guys are fussy, taking stuff in the shower, spray bottles and stuff, lean them against something, or put in a rod holder and hose, job done, some of my reels are decades old and still operate as good as the day I got them.

Things to consider, when hosing,cold water will not get rid of all the salt it will simply push it around the reel and as said above it can force it into the reel.Rinsing with warm soapy water can get into the reel and break down the lube.Spraying with any of your penetrating type sprays will clean the lube right out of the reel,again as said above,spray on a rag and wipe down.

Forgot to mention,regardless of what you do the drag needs to be nipped up.