Fish identification

Hi does anyone know what fish this is
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fish identification

Stargazer?

Haha yep that's it nasty fish so I read

Not nasty at all, like an obese flathead, tasty as.

Bet you wondered how you got 'snagged' in the sand.I've only caught one up at 1770,I let it rest for a split second at my feet in about six inches of water....bloody thing nearly made it to China.I cut mine off after some pics so can't comment on eating qualities but supposed to be same as flathead.

I've caught more than a few good sized ones around the traps over the years and eaten them all, including one big mother that I had to wade out in the surf and dig up by hand. But honestly, even tho the fillets are nice and white, I've found the texture isn't all that good (very fine flakes) and they're fairly tasteless. The last one i caught was just a couple months ago. Good for someone who doesn't like a fish flavoured fillet, like my wife.
    I've decided to not keep them anymore. Personally, I think flathead are much better.

Cheers

yeah i have a rule if i dont know what it is i dont touch it haha seemed to work in my favour...and yes it did seem like a had a snag it wasnt much fun and put up no fight just a dead weight

Good book reference for fish identification is Grant's Fishes of Australia.
    I have two, money well spent.

Highly recommend it!!!
    Cheers R.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Bet you wondered how you got 'snagged' in the sand.I've only caught one up at 1770,I let it rest for a split second at my feet in about six inches of water....bloody thing nearly made it to China.I cut mine off after some pics so can't comment on eating qualities but supposed to be same as flathead.
    Same here. If I don't recognize the species, I do my best to release it without too much injury to the fish.
    Caught so many lizards AKA flathead up in the 1770 inlet, low tide & fish the gutters... actually caught a Jack doing that once, out in the middle... not a snag insight!! At the time I thought I had hooked up onto a massive record breaking lizard.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

you eat this, man this thing is like a toad , looks like fugu fish ..any japanese chefs around

Quote Originally Posted by maverik View Post
    Hi does anyone know what fish this is
    Almost certain it's Juvenile Northern Stargazer. Found in Queensland & N.S.W.
    Good to eat, but should be filleted.

The Southern Stargazer should not be handled...pectoral fins are poisonous.

cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!