Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat accident deaths

Re: Boat accident deaths

Yeah they said the engines were still running when the boat was found so know doubt the electronics would still have been on, would be good if the family knows what exactly happen

I dont think a couple rookies would own a boat like that

Does anyone on here know the area where they were found and that days/nights current charts?

Being a cabin boat could carbon monoxide play a part in the final minutes?

Police ha e said in report no suspicious circumstances so they would have seen the injuries associated with the accident to cause death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

i reckon a container was involved, unexpected collision in calm seas would have seen the men in a relaxed stance, and then hard hit into the dash area, i mean you could expect a man to be knocked out cold, but to have two men lights out for ever, its shocking sad and unfortunate and with a few deaths at sea recently it wise to think that boating can or should be considered a high risk recreation pastime. sad.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i reckon a container was involved, unexpected collision in calm seas would have seen the men in a relaxed stance, and then hard hit into the dash area, i mean you could expect a man to be knocked out cold, but to have two men lights out for ever, its shocking sad and unfortunate and with a few deaths at sea recently it wise to think that boating can or should be considered a high risk recreation pastime. sad.
    a fortnight ago i went out fishing and had a good day on the calamari. On the way home, we stopped at the car wash to clean the boat. I fell out of the boat and badly bruised my ribs. I was standing 1.5ft off the ground. Now some quick calculations and thats a 10km/hr contact. Imagine on a good day, they would have been going 60-70km/hr when they hit an object. At those speeds, your reaction time is pretty close to non. Your injuries would be massive.
    So is it a case of bad luck? Are we as boaties too confident?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well, if you have ever done first aid, you know that simply "knocked out cold" can mean dead in a short time. It can be as simple as having your head in the wrong position and an obstructed airway.I knew a bloke that died like that--when he was found, sometime after car had left the road, he was relatively uninjured, but head was down and airway obstructed. Coming to a dead stop from 30 knots could kill you anyway --no seat belts or airbags in a boat. A 7 metre cat hit a whale over here earlier in the year, doing 20 knots IIRC, severe facial injuries to one of the occupants. "severe facial injuries" doesn't mean a split lip and black eye
    Speculation is pointless, of course. Leave that to the Coroner, we'll know in 12 months time.

man it churns my guts thinking about how unfortunate these things can happen.. that vessel was a big unit, like a tank you would feel so safe in a rig like this, but looks like speed could have been a factor in this awful accident.

So sad for their families, one guy leaves behind three young kids.

Boat must have come to a very abrupt stop to cause fatal injuries. Rare for everyone on board to have fatal injuries.

One would think if it’s a shipping container then the boat damage would have been more mid ship, front of sponson generally rides high in the air at speed.

Taking something away, it makes you evaluate how you operate your own boat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Has anyone had a hard look at the damage I went to the link and enlarged the pic and the front edge on the hull has folded over flat but there's not much paint missing like you would expect if the boat struck rocks or a bombie at low tide, and island head creek is the eastern side of Shoalwater bay just north of pearl bay and looks to be a well known anchorage for yachties, the gps hopefully will help explain things better, it would be a relief for the family to no what they hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    So sad for their families, one guy leaves behind three young kids.

Boat must have come to a very abrupt stop to cause fatal injuries. Rare for everyone on board to have fatal injuries.

One would think if it’s a shipping container then the boat damage would have been more mid ship, front of sponson generally rides high in the air at speed.

Taking something away, it makes you evaluate how you operate your own boat at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Yes get up a hour or two earlier
    It’s a bit like last year first old mate hit a whale at home when I was at work and spent a few hours in the water and then when we were heading to the gutters a week later the other fella hit wolf rock since that mayday call we heard that morning I have never been in a rush it was a good reality check that one you don’t know what is out there

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Yes get up a hour or two earlier
    It’s a bit like last year first old mate hit a whale at home when I was at work and spent a few hours in the water and then when we were heading to the gutters a week later the other fella hit wolf rock since that mayday call we heard that morning I have never been in a rush it was a good reality check that one you don’t know what is out there

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Absolutely. All of us who have operated planing boats at planing speeds at night have taken risks that could have cost our lives. RIP to those two men - I'll never throw stones in that glass house.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

The boat looks to have a very vertical stem, could have caused it to come to a sudden stop rather than ride over anything it hit.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    Absolutely. All of us who have operated planing boats at planing speeds at night have taken risks that could have cost our lives. RIP to those two men - I'll never throw stones in that glass house.
    Well said.

Don't Sailfish cats have a bulbous wave piercing bow? My bet is that they struck a whale out wide whilst coming in. The bows would dig in, rather than ride over. As the crew succumbed to their injuries, the vessel continued at speed until it ran aground with the motors still running.
    Very, very sad and a reminder that what we do is bloody dangerous. I have recently reassessed my night time travelling habits.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Cats don't seem to ride bow high like mono hulls--the narrow entry and lack of buoyancy mean they generally run pretty level on smooth water from what I've seen. And, as someone else pointed out, their stem is pretty vertical. Looking at the damage, it appears more crumple than torn and gouged, as it would be from hitting a reef?? Anyway, pointless speculation, they hit something going fast, we all go fast, keep a good lookout at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    Don't Sailfish cats have a bulbous wave piercing bow? My bet is that they struck a whale out wide whilst coming in. The bows would dig in, rather than ride over. As the crew succumbed to their injuries, the vessel continued at speed until it ran aground with the motors still running.Very, very sad and a reminder that what we do is bloody dangerous. I have recently reassessed my night time travelling habits.
    I think you might be confused with Marlin Broadbill Aluminium cats, they have (some models) the funny looking bow, can't remember any Sailfish cats like that, but I could be wrong, a cat would be no different to a mono when it comes to "riding" up over something.