Thread: BAIT

BAIT

Who uses bait any more and does any one have any luck on bait. I generally use bait but all my mates rave about plastics and to be honest i don't catch any thing spectacular on bait so i was just wondering whats peoples opinions on this

Re: BAIT

I rarely use bait anymore but I mainly target flathead. I seem to do better than the bait guys fishing around me. I've caught enough bycatch on the softies to keep me satisfied as well. Not too many fish in estuaries that you can't catch on them. Plus it's much more interesting and educational when you actively hunt for your fish instead of hoping one swims past your bait (if you just soak them like most bait fishos I know)

I do use live baits (pike, herring etc) occasionally when chasing something bigger just to mix it up.

Surf fishing is mostly bait for me.

Cheers
    Gurn

yeah i only use softies on flat head and drift and cast seems to work but i cant for the life of me ever catch anything else on them hence the bait fishing. These days though it is a struggle even to get enough yabbies to fish with there is so much pressure on our waterways.

They will come if you persist. My list so far of bycatch is: cod, stargazers, whiting, bream, grunter, tailor, trevally, snapper, giant herring, mullet (yes... more than once hooked in mouth), and too many bloody pike.

I'm sure I've probably missed some, but these have all come from the pine river on one style, colour and size of softie and jighead while chasing flatties.

I can't complain.

Cheers

Yep Bait 90% of the time for me / Fish gets the better of me at least ive fed it ..

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I rarely use bait anymore but I mainly target flathead. I seem to do better than the bait guys fishing around me. I've caught enough bycatch on the softies to keep me satisfied as well. Not too many fish in estuaries that you can't catch on them. Plus it's much more interesting and educational when you actively hunt for your fish instead of hoping one swims past your bait (if you just soak them like most bait fishos I know)

I do use live baits (pike, herring etc) occasionally when chasing something bigger just to mix it up.

Surf fishing is mostly bait for me.

Cheers
    Gurn
    I tow baits for spanish macks.

Medium to fast action lures for lizzards and Bass, must add I put all my bass back.

Anchor up and float out some pillies for snaps, secret spot number 782.!!!

Catch a mack tuna and use the fillets for bottom fishing. Works for me.

But I always keep an open mind.

Cheers Roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Bait for jacks. Hand full of poddies , 6 pack , kick back and wait for the explosion

All depends on where I am and what I am doing. Sometimes even run a combination of both.