Thread: Motor lube ( grease)

Motor lube ( grease)

Hey all

What grease is everyone using to lube their motor - I need to buy a small grease gun & what to find out what grease is best. .

Or do people just use the grease that they use for their wheel bearings etc

appreciate your advice

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Motor lube ( grease)

I use the BRP stuff. Seems alright. Certainly sticky.

hi scottar
    i asked a ob mechanic on the coast he told me any of the blue greases are ok
    snap

For steering and so on, OMC triple guard is the stuff to use, I have a grease gun with it, and one with standard bearing grease, don't use normal grease on moving parts of your motor, I'm sure other brands have their own, but the OMC stuff is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    For steering and so on, OMC triple guard is the stuff to use, I have a grease gun with it, and one with standard bearing grease, don't use normal grease on moving parts of your motor, I'm sure other brands have their own, but the OMC stuff is great.
    as noel recommends!

i use penrite high temp grease. seems it doesnt dry out to much like some other grease ive used before.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i use penrite high temp grease. seems it doesnt dry out to much like some other grease ive used before.
    Give it a while, it will turn to hard crap.

Noel do u think the high temp grease goes hard because of the hot and cold cycling it endures in wheel hubs? May dry it out or something

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

No, in salt water it just turns to solid crap, especially in the steering rod/tube and the swivel bracket.

i bought some grease branded as "marine grease" but i dont know whether it was the best or just toothpaste, sure did look like colgate.

Hence why I asked the question - alarm bells were ringing

I've seen boats that have been lubed with what appears to normal bearing grease - blue / green ...... through to the tan coloured & white stuff .

I could imagine that there is no point on a high temp grease like the red marine stuff I use for my trailer bearings - but it clearly needs to be water proof ........ so isn't all grease water proof ?

What is this tan grease that you find on Yamahas ? ..... & seems to be the only grease used by Yammi service centres ( I've used 3 )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Most manufacturers have their own brand of marine grease, don't confuse water proof with true marine grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Most manufacturers have their own brand of marine grease, don't confuse water proof with true marine grease.
    No I get that Noel - It's why I'm interested in hearing opinions before I go and by a new grease gun for the boat & choose a grease .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have two, one with bearing grease for the trailer, and one with triple guard grease for the motor steering and other moving bits and pieces, and I never (yet) mix them up, I have repaired at least a dozen swivel brackets (by dismantling) that had hardened grease and countless steering cables (only one on my own boat)