Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunded fuel tank

Bunded fuel tank

Hi all,

I recently went to an Aussie manufacturer of more quirky / unusual / special designs and he had a fuel tank sitting in another tank essentially. If there was a leak in the fuel tank proper it would only get into the next tank which was vented / drained to the transom. The idea is to not allow fuel to leak into the hull.

Is this over the top ? It might be a requirement on survey vessels or passenger vessels ??

Wouldn't it be pretty safe to perhaps reinforce and pad the fuel tank to prevent any wearing or rubbing etc.? How often are there below-deck fuel tank issues anyway?

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Cheers!

Re: Bunded fuel tank

I do that with my fuel bladder...but not seen for a fixed tank

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I do that with my fuel bladder...but not seen for a fixed tank
    Hi Crunchy

I'm looking into fuel bladders now for long range trips - Are you happy with it ?

What size & where from

I've worked out that I can fit a couple of 65 lt (theoretical ) bladders under the transom which would be ideal for what I have planned next year.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quirky huh..?..He must not have much faith in his welders....

Depends on the size of boat ???......Sounds a bit overkill to me....when we replaced the old underfloor fuel tank ..the boatbuilder wrapped the new ally tank in fibreglass and included mounting points so the tank was firmly held with good ventilation all round the tank,he said it was to survey standard..It replaced an old Haines set up where the tank was surrounded by foam......no ventilation at all,and in my view damn dangerous as there was pit corrosion on the wall of the tank as a result.

Vented/drained to the transom would put the bottom of the tank well & truly above the waterline could you have misunderstood him, is he a bit of a joker?
    Seems a bit odd but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Crunchy

I'm looking into fuel bladders now for long range trips - Are you happy with it ?

What size & where from

I've worked out that I can fit a couple of 65 lt (theoretical ) bladders under the transom which would be ideal for what I have planned next year.

Chris
    Holds ~200L and works a treat....gives me a minimum range of 500Km combined with the 210L main tank..... will drop you a PM re the manufacturer I recommend

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Holds ~200L and works a treat....gives me a minimum range of 500Km combined with the 210L main tank..... will drop you a PM re the manufacturer I recommend
    Appreciate that ….. ta

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

@Disorderly ... yor bein' rood ... :-)

The boat is a little over the top in a lot of respects ...

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Can you PM the details too?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    @Disorderly ... yor bein' rood ... :-)

The boat is a little over the top in a lot of respects ...
    Wasnt trying to be rude mate ....cynical yes..but I also may have misunderstood..

I thought you were talking about an main underfloor tank like the process I'm going through ATM.......and yeah with boatbuilders nothing would really surprise me anymore..

The only real problem that I could see with a tank leaking could be faulty welding which should be picked up before installation with a pressure test or some dodgy plumbing on the main fuel line or breather hose or seals …..

A fuel bladder or plastic tank ...well that's another thing entirely..

cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Wasnt trying to be rude mate ....cynical yes..but I also may have misunderstood..

I thought you were talking about an main underfloor tank like the process I'm going through ATM.......and yeah with boatbuilders nothing would really surprise me anymore..

The only real problem that I could see with a tank leaking could be faulty welding which should be picked up before installation with a pressure test or some dodgy plumbing on the main fuel line or breather hose or seals …..

A fuel bladder or plastic tank ...well that's another thing entirely..

cheers Scott
    Well they can develop leaks after years of use through corrosion and all the stress from the pounding boats take.

I seem to think I have heard about fuel tanks needing to be bunded for some particular aspect of survey???

just seems to be in the back of my mind, no idea where I have heard it from though..

could be way off.

Rob

Could be to prevent the fuel turning the underfloor buoyancy foam to mush in the event of a leak ????