Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying used yamaha F100 four stroke, need opinions

buying used yamaha F100 four stroke, need opinions

Hey guys, as the title suggests, I'm looking at a 5.5mtr ally boat with a 2009 Yamaha F100 on it. I would love any opinions from people who had/have this motor.
    the motor itself has approx 150 hrs on it, so pretty new as far as i'm concerned. one of the issues I've found going through the interweb is that dearlers aren't fantastic with backup service and yamaha don't help either.
    What i'm worried about is that I've read so much negative material that it's starting to put me off the boat, and i'm getting an unbalanced view.
    some of the negatives relate to the carbies and how the fuel delivery system needs to top notch so as to not deliver bad or tainted fuel. the Americans seem to advise to use fuel additives a lot (possibly due to inferior fuels?)
    Anyway would love to hear all opinions before i put my hard earned on the table.
    (on a side note, this is my first boat in 20 years, and I've just finished paying child support after 8 years and i can afford to take the kids fishing again)

Re: buying used yamaha F100 four stroke, need opinions

If it's a carby model, I personally would keep looking, a carby 4 stroke is OK, but nothing like an EFI model, regardless of hours, it's an 11 year old motor, not anywhere "near new" in my books.

so you're saying the EFI model is preferred noel?

pretty sure yours will be EFI
    early 2000's were carb, easy to tell if you have pictures

Quote Originally Posted by charlsie View Post
    so you're saying the EFI model is preferred noel?
    Yep, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by ericcs View Post
    pretty sure yours will be EFI
    early 2000's were carb, easy to tell if you have pictures
    Or a photo of the ID plate on the motor.

hey dignity, i wish i could operate the computer better so i could post pics, i'll do a bit more research. i do have the original sales docket and it says sales date 15/06/2009 model no.F100 DETL ,other than that i wont speculate what i think it is

I had an 06 F150 that was injected so I'm almost certain it will be efi. It's the lack of hours that may concern some, 15 hours a year on average. I sold the F150 not long after I bought the boat with 300 hours so it's average was 25 hours a year. As far as I know the buyer has had no trouble with it.

TMC

hey dignity, i wish i could operate the computer better so i could post pics, i'll do a bit more research. i do have the original sales docket and it says sales date 15/06/2009 model no.F100 DETL ,other than that i wont speculate what i think it is
    DETL means it is an EFI motor and is NMEA compatible

Low hours can be good or bad if the boat has been stored in a garage say built on to a house and it has sat for years i see no problem inside garages is usually dry air

If it sat out in the yard in all weather rain, hail, lots of winter fog etc ss atmosphere temps rise and drop the air around the outside of the engine would penetrate the engine up through the exhaust and rust cylinders, seize engines etc..

Than u have a engine stored at lets say regional/just out of the city vs sitting 250 meters from the sea on a front lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    DETL means it is an EFI motor and is NMEA compatible
    i googled NMEA and that opened up a pandoras box, at a guess, i take it that real time information is shared between devices connected. I'm going to have a look at the boat tomorrow and if the boat ticks all the boxes, I'll get a local boat mechanic to do a check on it.

Image1609270137.541048.jpg

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

so had the boat inspection done and the comp test come back and all cylinders are within 10 psi of each other so i threw my hard earned down and are now the happy owner of a stessco 540 amberjack

Congratulations on the new boat . Enjoy.

What a great way to start the new year....

make sure all your safety gear is in order and get amongst it...

enjoy..