Thread: Green Indicator Clips on Marlin PFD

Green Indicator Clips on Marlin PFD

Doing my first annual service on my Marlin PDF and need to replace the indicator clip, unfortunately the BIG sellers of these vests in Adelaide do not stock the indicator clips, you can however buy 2 clips with a new gas bottle at around $29, I don't wish to buy another 4 gas bottles and clips prior to having the vest serviced or thrown out in 4 years time..

Whitworths on the other side of town sell various brands and hopefully the Watersnake Oval brand will fit at 1/2 the price of what seems the standard clip for the Marlin. So won't be using this vest for the next few fishing trips prior to a trip across town to confirm the exact clip required.

And as for buying 5 at a time am not sure that the plastic will go brittle in time.

https://www.hookedonline.com.au/5-pa...dicator~505662

Re: Green Indicator Clips on Marlin PFD

I checked my Marlin PFD's and it says to replace the Indicator Clip if missing or damaged, so unless you managed to lose it or break it, leave well enough alone.

Inspection Step 5 in the Yearly Check, says with the gas bottle removed pull the cord to check the firing mechanism, this is when the green clip was damaged, to me there is a 99.9% chance that the clip will be damaged when the cord is pulled if the indicator clip is in situ..

https://sailing-rmycph.org.au/phs-do...-self-insp.pdf

Are these the clips you are talking about

Image1609523100.699489.jpg

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

I think its the clip next to the square one on the top. Whitworths asked me to bring in the vest to ensure I get the correct one.

Am annoyed that Bxxx and Axxxx sell these vests on special ( with a sticker/label on them showing they are good for 5 years with annual testing) and they do not have the clips. ( at least in some outlets in Adelaide). Mate purchased another not needed Gas bottle and 2 clips.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInSA View Post
    Inspection Step 5 in the Yearly Check, says with the gas bottle removed pull the cord to check the firing mechanism, this is when the green clip was damaged, to me there is a 99.9% chance that the clip will be damaged when the cord is pulled if the indicator clip is in situ..

https://sailing-rmycph.org.au/phs-do...-self-insp.pdf
    I guess I should have read the previous pages, not just the last page. These are the first Marlins' I've had as previous inflatables I've owned (had to go as didn't meet the new standard, I did fired them ofg which was fun but also a little concerned at easily they were punctured) the clips survived. I guess I'd better get a supply of clips in now.