Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat configuration - centre console, cuddy, runabout

Re: Boat configuration - centre console, cuddy, runabout

I've always had a good poop deck on my boats ..... with grab rails

I did try to work out how I could manouvre the tell tail to act as a bidet ……. warm water ….. noice

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Centre consoles are often purchased because of fishing room, but in a strange kind of way, they have little room for fishing, mainly because the console is towards the stern, then a seat, and all the fishing room at the back is gone, the space in front of the console rarely gets used, so, depending on what sort of climate you fish in, some sort of weather protection is good, especially as soon as family is mentioned, then there's the question, do you need bunks? what suits one person is not what someone else needs. Probably best to make a list of what you need, then what you want and take it from there.
    I agree ….. A CC is best fished with only 2 fisheos …… but it's still 360 deg access which is unparalleled for running fish .
    Even in a big CC - you can still get into a creek and cast lures - something you cant effectively do in any cabin type boat .

Here is another benefit if you have a leccy - spotlock …… cast forward of the boat with placcies . You can position the boat behind where you want to fish & have your placcies freefall perfectly on those fish . Pretty difficult to do with a cabin boat.

finally - f you really need to - you can get pretty good clears that will turn a CC ( with a T top) into a reasonably dry boat.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i come from mostly runabouts, C/Cs and open tinnies, all good in their own way , never had a cabin boat in all my life until now, and i tell you what its the best allrounder and wonder why i never owned them years earlier, combination of shelter, wind protection, sleeping, crapping, coffee breaks, protection from green ones , seriously when family are involved in boating , you need a boat that offers shade and wind protection. the rest is all in a days lager.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    i come from mostly runabouts, C/Cs and open tinnies, all good in their own way , never had a cabin boat in all my life until now, and i tell you what its the best allrounder and wonder why i never owned them years earlier, combination of shelter, wind protection, sleeping, crapping, coffee breaks, protection from green ones , seriously when family are involved in boating , you need a boat that offers shade and wind protection. the rest is all in a days lager.
    Familia's add a whole other dimension to boating ……… best of luck with it

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Standing at the back of my boat having a pee in Botany Bay

I looked up as a virgin flight is landing and managed a wave to the pilot at the same time

I do note the Western Australian runabouts and other cabin boats have really tall (and perhaps ... ugly) windscreens.

I know why.

The Sou'Wester is ferocious and you'd be getting a serious mouthful at every wave.

My thought is that I should cater to the family need of privacy more than spray or wind. To that end, perhaps a new style of 'centre cabin' with a semi-enclosed cabin (windows on three sides) but then get the local canvas guys to build a large permanent canvas extension to the roof with side walls that can be unzipped ... or just forget the canvas. I'm thinking a centre cabin that basically holds only a potty of some description ahead of the dash.

Smakka i had owned a few boats mostly half cabins and open tinnies early on than my cousin bought a 4.3m Quintrex centre console (the one i owned a couple of years ago) we took it out around 2007 and i immediatly fell in love with the whole standing up and driving at midship it was only a little tinny but it felt so comfortable i loved the whle wind in your face feeling and just generally nice feel to the whole centre console ever since i wanted to buy that boat than in 2017 2018 it came up for swaps so i swapped my cousin but i think the boat was cursed it never got on the water and i ended up selling it to a mate it now sits in his carport too lol

anyhow that is where the whole idea for a big centre console came from and where i wanted my current project to head to i got a little side tracked into building it into a Bar Crusher look a like but i am back on course its going to be a big offshore centre console, me and my mates will take a brutal beating from the weather be it turning into a lobster or hailing down on us but the amount of room to cast and walk around and just generally take more people out fishing each trip far exceeds any other configuration

Gazza,

I'm pretty certain that a centre console is a single purpose configuration that excludes females. The purpose also excludes doodling around in the waterways of the Gold Coast for example (ie. doing some sightseeing and picnicking out of the sun ...) I do hear you on the fishing. Better still would be to turn a 7.0m Yellowfin centre console into a bass boat that had a flat deck about a metre from the water from bow to stern and had a completely fly-by-wire bridge that could be commanded from your phone. That way, the captain is just one of the standabouts on deck and there would be nothing between you and the fish. An inboard would complete the picture.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with Gazza, regarding centre console’s. After all the cabin style boats I’ve owned, the feeling of being “open” to the elements of wind and spray I find exhilarating. Even now my wife and 21 year old son are photography enthusiasts and love to capture whales, dolphins turtles etc. which a centre console gives great 360 degrees access. It also gives me an advantage of casting lures on approaching a school of Pelagics with ease as I hardly fish baits anymore.

I would still agree with a cuddy cabin for little ones or a wife who is a little nervous in open waters.
    All in my humble opinion.

Ducks,

My wife feels unstable on her feet in the house (let alone a boat) and has a total of zero hours in small boats I think ... But because my daughter is such a sensory person she'll participate to an extent. It is up to the kids to get her involved. It is in my interest to make the thing somewhat less confronting.

Maybe I should get those pedestal seat bases installed up front of a centre cabin ... then the wind will be in the hair !!

Rgds,

Just get one of these

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    Ducks,

My wife feels unstable on her feet in the house (let alone a boat) and has a total of zero hours in small boats I think ... But because my daughter is such a sensory person she'll participate to an extent. It is up to the kids to get her involved. It is in my interest to make the thing somewhat less confronting.

Maybe I should get those pedestal seat bases installed up front of a centre cabin ... then the wind will be in the hair !!

Rgds,
    ha,ha! The biggest problem with the female loved one I’ve found is they generally want to help pick the boat, but in the end the interest wanes rather quickly. Again in my humble opinion. Been married 27 years now and although choices along the way involved the wife, it still came down to who would be using the boat more. As I previously said, the kids when younger were priority, now Fishing 90% solo the centre console is the choice of tub for me. I really hope and look forward to your choice as it’s a great topic.

What about the full bunk walk aroundAttachment 120041Attachment 120042Attachment 120043thats why I brought this son can fish out the back.
    daughter can sit up the front with the wind in her hair and the wife will that you for the bunks when she is sea sick
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Totally depends what type of fishing you do and where you fish?

Do you love lure fishing?
    Do you plan on any over nighters?
    Do you plan on fishing for a solid week straight on holidays?
    Where you mostly fish? And how many people are in your boat most trips?

I owned a 7m CC boat , government should employ me for drought breaking services. Rained every time I tried over nighters in it.

Spending a solid week or more say off qld coast(Airlie) is more harsh in a CC. Wind and sun is more tiring.
    Cc is amazing to fish from with electric, specially casting lures around reefs/islands.
    Cabin is significantly more comfortable as a cruising boat.

I now own a walkaround boat. Best of everything. Sleep on bed aswell as walkaround the bow to fish.
    In 6.5-6m range consider centre cab maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Final fitout 1.jpgiFinish.jpgAfter years of being on boats of all configurations ..this was my choice for a new boat..the versatility of a centre cab cant be beaten I reckon..not those dopey Formosa or Yellowfin style screw on large centre console/cabins but a full sized footprint cabin with a electric toilet between bunks for the missus and seating up front of cab for the younger generation and clears for those nasty windy days but can be removed to enjoy the wind in the face on the good days...

I aim to put a full length and width canopy on the back deck but can still cast lures from up the front and the missus wants me to build and extended seat box that contains a fridge with a stove on top...and of course solar panels on the hardtop roof..

and still just 6.5m LOA so I should be able to handle her by myself when I need to...I think she can be a hardcore fishing machine but also family friendly for a night or 2 out on the water..