Thread: Sick Turtle in the Bay

Sick Turtle in the Bay

Hi All

Fished late morning Monday around Peel.

Spotted a young turtle floating and struggling to swim.It was flapping on it's side and was very distressed. Wasn't sure what to do.

No obvious sign of entanglement or obstruction.

Was going to get it into the boat but then what? Was going to attach a buoy to it but thought it'd be worse.

It was being dragged out with the tide. Very sad sight and felt a bit helpless.

Is there a procedure or contact for these sort of animal mishaps?

Cheers

Re: Sick Turtle in the Bay

Yer ring fisheries or national park I think there will be a number to select to report it, its sad when you see a turtle hit by a prop, still ring thought they might have some one out and about to look out for it.

let nature run its course, its heartbreaking yes but all animals perish one way or another, best to leave it to the clean up crew. shark patrol.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    let nature run its course, its heartbreaking yes but all animals perish one way or another, best to leave it to the clean up crew. shark patrol.
    Unfortunately, in a lot of cases with turtles it really isn't nature. It's pretty common for them to ingest plastic which then can cause them to get what is known as floater syndrome. There is a contact number in the link. On a personal level, I saw this in Gladstone while at work. We brought the animal onboard and called authorities who took delivery via a crew change vessel.
    http://www.environment.gov.au/marine...urtle-hospital

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Unfortunately, in a lot of cases with turtles it really isn't nature. It's pretty common for them to ingest plastic which then can cause them to get what is known as floater syndrome. There is a contact number in the link. On a personal level, I saw this in Gladstone while at work. We brought the animal onboard and called authorities who took delivery via a crew change vessel.
    http://www.environment.gov.au/marine...urtle-hospital
    Spot on scottar!!!

Most of the time the turtle has ingested plastic, they eat jelly fish and mistake one for the other...so I'm led to believe.

I've seen it, so very sad. The fist thing I was told is radio the situation into your local VMR or whoever you logged on with, provide location details as accurately as you can. I was also told if possible lift the creature onboard, keeping it cool and wet.
    There is a Turtle rescue organization you can also call from your mobile.. look it up and add it to your phone, I made a donation to them when they were fund raising up at 1770/Agnes Water.
    GLAD YOU HAVE A HEART AND CARE
    r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!