Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New bag and size limits as of today

Re: New bag and size limits as of today

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Very strange I don't remember any increase in the Rec Coral trout bag limit it is obviously my mistake ....... I'll have to be mindful of this at the ballot box next time , let me see there was some extra bio mass and the government boffins decided my share(rec fishermen) was ........ that's right none, lets give it to the commercial sector to send overseas ,,,,, let see where do i put that X

It will work it self out the government can be assured of that. ( MC please do not take this personally but dead set of all the things to pick an increase in the commercial take of Coral Trout is the reference point you choose, so out of touch with rec fisherman it beggar's belief)

BigE
    The commercial quota and bag limits are not directly comparable as angling is open entry and the number of anglers in Nth Qld is going up. As well as there being no limit on the amount of trips you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Very strange I don't remember any increase in the Rec Coral trout bag limit it is obviously my mistake ....... I'll have to be mindful of this at the ballot box next time , let me see there was some extra bio mass and the government boffins decided my share(rec fishermen) was ........ that's right none, lets give it to the commercial sector to send overseas ,,,,, let see where do i put that X

It will work it self out the government can be assured of that. ( MC please do not take this personally but dead set of all the things to pick an increase in the commercial take of Coral Trout is the reference point you choose, so out of touch with rec fisherman it beggar's belief)

BigE
    The government boffins decided nothing BigE. The increase was due to decision rules that were part of the harvest strategy as discussed by the relevant working group, which includes recreational fishers.

Why would I take anything you say personally, BigE? You've been so supportive of us government scientists for such a long time.

This to and fro is the issue, we (rec fishers) will never trust "science" neither would we willingly give accurate details of our effort and catch numbers, in the main, we always want it our way, it's been that way forever and will never change, there is of course a handful that do their best to represent rec fishers, and give time to various committees and active groups, but these few are way outnumbered by a much more vocal majority who just refuse to accept that fish stocks are in trouble, and we have to accept harsh measures to save what's left, and put all the blame on the pro sector who are well organised with very accurate catch numbers. It's an emotive issue and there is no simple black and white answer, someone has to be hurt to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    The commercial quota and bag limits are not directly comparable as angling is open entry and the number of anglers in Nth Qld is going up. As well as there being no limit on the amount of trips you can do.
    But if the extrapolated numbers are good enough to reduce bag limits, shouldn't they be all that is required for an increase as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    But if the extrapolated numbers are good enough to reduce bag limits, shouldn't they be all that is required for an increase as well ?
    What bag limits are you talking about?

What bag limits are you talking about?
    Any if fisheries deems that the stocks can support additional take. Coral trout in this instance as was being discussed. If a number can be generated to tell us how many fish we are supposedly taking, surely the same system could be utilised to ascertain what additional bag limit could be taken by the number of people fishing without doing damage to stocks...………..or do the numbers only work one way? If you go by the argument you just raised, no recreational bag limit will ever be increased regardless of where stocks are at - short of something like bass which is a put and take fishery anyway.

Some (not many admittedly) species have had restrictions lifted, Southern Bluefin Tuna, is one, Blue Groper is another, but mostly size limits increase, bag limits decrease, and methods get more restricted. Bag limits are a very contentious issue, for the couple of times a year fisher, like the holiday rec angler, only being able to get a few (say) Snapper once a year doesn't make sense, when the mad keen guy, who might fish 4 or more days a week can catch the same number every day, how is that equal? but, it's the only way to reliably enforce limits, as I said before, there is no simple answer that will suit everyone (including the fish)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Campbell View Post
    The government boffins decided nothing BigE. The increase was due to decision rules that were part of the harvest strategy as discussed by the relevant working group, which includes recreational fishers.
    Rec fisherman decided to increase the commercial quota for Coral trout...?...yeah right..!..

I don't know how many of the boffins have been sitting on a reef system when a live trout boat sets up camp next to them and dispatch's all their little dories to smash every bommie in the general area...you might as well up anchor and go home...

With major new rec boating infrastructure and ramps going in around Cairns and Mission beach that had been planned for ages I just don't get it...

The effect of a robust rec fishing sector on the economy via spend from fisho's, reef charter and tourism has to be manyfold more than just relatively few jobs on the trout boats with all the fish heading offshore and any dead fish commanding $50 a kg or more and overpriced for local non fisho's...

I don't get how they work out their number for quota anyway...for most of us its not so much the total number but more so the numbers on a particular set of reefs or the fishing pressure in your local area.

For example, after camping a couple to several times a years In Missionary bay for years now..we dont even bother taking crab traps any more...and we talk to many other guys down there, some who plan ahead and come from interstate to fish that magnificent area for up to a week at a time and very few can actually catch a legal crab..and all just because of a local pro crabber or 2 who just dont smash the area on a daily basis but also go zipping up every single little creek in the area every single day buzzing any basking croc into the water and upsetting quiet lure casters who are trying to sneak around with their trolling motor...

I know the boffins dont take into account these sort of external factors that are not wholly based on fish science/numbers but are crucial to the livelihoods of many businesses in many small towns along the GBR coastline...

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Any if fisheries deems that the stocks can support additional take. Coral trout in this instance as was being discussed. If a number can be generated to tell us how many fish we are supposedly taking, surely the same system could be utilised to ascertain what additional bag limit could be taken by the number of people fishing without doing damage to stocks...………..or do the numbers only work one way? If you go by the argument you just raised, no recreational bag limit will ever be increased regardless of where stocks are at - short of something like bass which is a put and take fishery anyway.
    You have bypassed my point that bag limits for amateurs are not comparable to quotas for commercial fishermen, given that angling is open entry and there are no trip limits. Especially when the number of anglers is rising.

Without fail - every time the subject comes up about limiting recreational catch rates , closures , slot limits , marine reserves etc - there will always be fishoes that cry "foul" . they will cite "the science" or lack of - how it will destroy the boating & tackle industry / the cost of running my big boat etc ……. this thread is yet another example.

Just maybe - these changes imposed are in fact nothing more than a method of social engineering ….. a way of getting it out of our mind that fishing isn't a free for all way of harvesting protein. Because as night follows day many will ask themselves Is there a cost benefit or not........ I'm talking about the kill it & fillet it brigade - you know the type , those that carry the biggest ice box they can carry or go away with a freezer in tow.
    I'll keep saying it - fishoes can be greedy buggers & if they can fill that esky …. they will & if regulations are put in place - many will flout them or try to find a way around them - talk of upgrades , or what other target species can we bag out on …… it's common to hear this.

There is an attitude that - there isn't a problem ….. because look at what I'm catching - except for the fact that they have probably towed their boat 100s of Kms from home & driven their boat 70 nm to some remote reef to make sure they get those fish.

I'm sorry if some of you feel offended by what I've written …… but from what I've seen , heard & experienced through my time on the water - I can totally understand how we have arrived at this point.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

I don't know how many of the boffins have been sitting on a reef system when a live trout boat sets up camp next to them and dispatch's all their little dories to smash every bommie in the general area...you might as well up anchor and go home...

With major new rec boating infrastructure and ramps going in around Cairns and Mission beach that had been planned for ages I just don't get it...

The effect of a robust rec fishing sector on the economy via spend from fisho's, reef charter and tourism has to be manyfold more than just relatively few jobs on the trout boats with all the fish heading offshore and any dead fish commanding $50 a kg or more and overpriced for local non fisho's...

There is no evidence that coral trout no's are anything but robust on the GBR. Also the spending you describe is consumer discretionary If it wasn't spent on fishing then why wouldn't it be spent on some other recreation?

Feel for the honest bloke that's trying to get something to local market.
    Best thing I reckon is sandcrab bag. Crap when ya hear people taking 50 plus sandies

There is no evidence that coral trout no's are anything but robust on the GBR. Also the spending you describe is consumer discretionary If it wasn't spent on fishing then why wouldn't it be spent on some other recreation?
    Yup that's science for you ...broad strokes, generalisations and assuming that data for one area will be representative for all........

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yup that's science for you ...broad strokes, generalisations and assuming that data for one area will be representative for all........
    So why do you think your anecdotes are any better? Also the second point is economics, not science.

I don't have an iron in this fire,but if I did I would want to know the credentials of those representing me at these harvest strategy meetings.......I would want more than 'the population is growing so the bag limit is growing even though it stays the same'..... before I forewent any claim on 'excess' stocks.