Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: New bag and size limits as of today

Re: New bag and size limits as of today

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    There's been a lot of criticism of Scientists here.

In another life, I worked for environmental scientists. Effect on the Great Barrier Reef, of all things.

How does a scientist get funding?

If they say everything is 'hunky-dory' , then why provide you with funding and equipment? So the best thing to do is to fudge the figures, run a scare campaign, blame a group (fishers in this case) for the poor sustainability, at very best ' let me check and see if this is the cause', etc.

"But I can't do this without funding"

I don't blame for minute for this approach, it's a political game, but I wonder if politicians listen to the ones that benefit them the most electorally eg Pandering to the Greens.
    What's your point? We are relying on Fisheries Scientists here. They don't have any vested interest that I can see in calling for more restrictions, and bear in mind they are on salaries and don't rely on grants. And all the Greens are interested in is more marine parks.

You:
    Quote Originally Posted by efc View Post
    Why isn’t this forum a suitable place for discussion?
    Me:
    Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    There's been a lot of criticism of Scientists here. In another life, I worked for environmental scientists. Effect on the Great Barrier Reef, of all things. How does a scientist get funding? If they say everything is 'hunky-dory' , then why provide you with funding and equipment? So the best thing to do is to fudge the figures, run a scare campaign, blame a group (fishers in this case) for the poor sustainability, at very best ' let me check and see if this is the cause', etc. "But I can't do this without funding" I don't blame for minute for this approach, it's a political game, but I wonder if politicians listen to the ones that benefit them the most electorally eg Pandering to the Greens.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Campbell View Post
    Chris, with respect, I dispute many things you’ve said in this thread, especially this “fact”.
    Your model increases the theoretical take from the rec sector based on the growth of boat/trailer registrations does it not?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Your model increases the theoretical take from the rec sector based on the growth of boat/trailer registrations does it not?
    And the assumption that everyone 'bags out' every time?

Respectfully, BigE, the level of spawning biomass required before any sort of catch limits would be relaxed would be set as part of the harvest strategy process. As an example, the coral trout quota was increased for the 2018/19 season (https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/v...p/sl-2018-0037) by 200 tonnes. In that instance catch rates had increased to a point where an increase in quota was appropriate. Setting this level is not part of the stock assessment process but uses consultation with stakeholders through the harvest strategy.
    What body represents rec fishers at harvest strategy meetings?.......The example confuses the shit out of me (not hard).......If every time there appears to be a little meat left on the bone why throw it out to the dogs instead of putting it back in the fridge,surely the 200t of trout would have served the reef better left in place?Further to this,how much of this particular 200t went overseas to make a handful richer and how much stayed here to benefit us?

Is there another way?

Along with the statewide surveys, diarists and boat ramp surveys. Did you read the stock assessment document? There’s a link to it below.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    And the assumption that everyone 'bags out' every time?
    That is not assumed in the stock assessment. If you’re interested in the methods used they can be found in this document:

http://era.daf.qld.gov.au/id/eprint/...ment2018V3.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    What body represents rec fishers at harvest strategy meetings?.......The example confuses the shit out of me (not hard).......If every time there appears to be a little meat left on the bone why throw it out to the dogs instead of putting it back in the fridge,surely the 200t of trout would have served the reef better left in place?Further to this,how much of this particular 200t went overseas to make a handful richer and how much stayed here to benefit us?
    Coral trout no's are very robust on the GBR. Ie even with the small increase in the quota the fishing pressure is very light.

If you’re gunna shitcan the methods used in the stock assessment, at least read the stock assessment document first. Don’t rely on others’ interpretation of the methods and parrot their criticism because they may be mistaken in their understanding of stock assessment science.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I posted this once before, but it's kind of relevant, a couple of years ago, there was a heap of volunteers at just about every ramp within miles of me, they were there every weekend over quite a long period, they simply asked how many fishing on the boat, how many of selected species were caught (Snapper, Flathead and a few others, then a mixed category) most fishos told them to p1ss off, but some just gave them the details, how this was used, or how it was intended to be used, I don't know, but, it's probably the only semi reliable data available, whether something like this has been used and some simple formula was added to determine stocks is anyone's guess.
    A few years back I saw NSW fisheries doing ramp surveys on the Hawkesbury River ……. You couldn't exactly tell them piss off .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

These people were just volunteers, they had an identification certificate to say they were representing some department, but there was no real legal obligation to tell them anything, I was questioned two weekends in a row, and gave them correct info.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    These people were just volunteers, they had an identification certificate to say they were representing some department, but there was no real legal obligation to tell them anything, I was questioned two weekends in a row, and gave them correct info.
    The response rate would be recorded and a low response rate would trigger some adjustments and be mentioned in the report. The 2013/14 report said it was high across all methods:

"A Wash-up/Attitudinal Survey was conducted as the final contact with diarists to collect boat ownership details and examine fishers’ opinions and attitudes to various fishing-related matters. Also, a sample of households from the original Screening Survey that reported no intention to fish was re-contacted at the end of the diary period to identify and account for any unexpected fishing (the Non-intending Fisher Follow-up Survey). Response rates across all survey components were exceptionally high (often in excess of 90%) – confirming both the high levels of interest and co-operation by recreational fishers and the performance standards of the survey instrument. By calibrating against ABS population benchmarks (as at June 2013) and applying non-response adjustments, all survey results (including participation, effort, catch and boat ownership) have been expanded to represent the resident population of NSW and the ACT, aged five years and older"

Respectfully, BigE, the level of spawning biomass required before any sort of catch limits would be relaxed would be set as part of the harvest strategy process. As an example, the coral trout quota was increased for the 2018/19 season (https://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/v...p/sl-2018-0037) by 200 tonnes. In that instance catch rates had increased to a point where an increase in quota was appropriate. Setting this level is not part of the stock assessment process but uses consultation with stakeholders through the harvest strategy.

Very strange I don't remember any increase in the Rec Coral trout bag limit it is obviously my mistake ....... I'll have to be mindful of this at the ballot box next time , let me see there was some extra bio mass and the government boffins decided my share(rec fishermen) was ........ that's right none, lets give it to the commercial sector to send overseas ,,,,, let see where do i put that X

It will work it self out the government can be assured of that. ( MC please do not take this personally but dead set of all the things to pick an increase in the commercial take of Coral Trout is the reference point you choose, so out of touch with rec fisherman it beggar's belief)

BigE

i hear ya Duckie the world has gone mad.

BigE