Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 256
  1. #16

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    What are the changes to crab pot tags?!
    Last name and address of the person using them


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #17

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I think you will need a good lawyer to win that one, boat limits and person limits are enforced, being on your own doesn't mean you can catch the boat limit, trying to twist words is what gets people into trouble.

    Im not twisting words that's what it says .no numbers mentioned its there wording I think they should be clearer in there definitions.

  3. #18

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    What is it we do or dont like regarding the new regs from our perspective ?. Would really like to hear.

  4. #19

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    The point of sustainability at which bag limits will increase, I have no problem with the boffins showing evidence that indicates that there is a need for the resource pressure to be reduced so that the stock is sustainable ,,,,,,But that would also mean that there would be a point at which the stock would be able to sustain an increase in resource utilisation ( an increase in bag limits ) without a balance in the equation then it is just a social engineering exercise to restrict the access to a resource of Joe Average and nothing whatsoever to do with protecting the resource.

    BigE


    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    What is it we do or dont like regarding the new regs from our perspective ?. Would really like to hear.

  5. #20

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    I think Australian freshwater bass have gone from 1 per person to 3.
    So yes they do change as numbers increase.
    It has been pretty good for a long time, look at prawn season, guys filling eskies day after day. Had to change.

  6. #21

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    What is it we do or dont like regarding the new regs from our perspective ?. Would really like to hear.
    From a personal perspective, the boat limit on snapper. With all the supposed doom and gloom they still make up the majority of the offshore catch in SEQ. Now effectively we are forced to make the decision between taking extra mates or a feed for the family when the majority of what gets thrown back will probably won't survive anyway. . I used to have a strict no upgrades policy on my boat. It's a practice I dislike but it will definitely get a rethink now.

  7. #22

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    What is it we do or dont like regarding the new regs from our perspective ?. Would really like to hear.
    Everyone from the fisheries scientists involved in the Biomas survey to the minister to be sacked immediately.

    "Minister Furner said introducing the changes now meant we would continue to have Queensland fish on the table, protect thousands of jobs in both the commercial and recreational sectors and protect our marine ecosystem and the Great Barrier Reef.
    ďThe Palaszczuk Government has comprehensively consulted over the past two years on these reforms,Ē Mr Furner said."

    What consultation? This is the first I am hearing about it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  8. #23

    New bag and size limits as of today

    It definitely hurts those lucky enough to have bigger boats that might like to travel further. Three or even more on board to make a trip more ďviableĒ becomes more difficult if your limited to not taking fish for each person on board. I can see what they are trying to stop, say 5 guys jammed in a tinny so they can take a bigger limit (when really only 2 can fish), but there are other instances where it is not fair to those that have larger boats. Example take 2 small boats with 2 guys in each, you can have 16 snapper, but take one big boat (where cost is exponential to size!) with all 4 blokes on board, and you are shut down at 8 fish which is your penalty for being able to fish 4 instead of only 2 on a larger single boat.

    Maybe the boat limit should have related to boat size - say every 2m of registered boat length allows 1 x of possession limit. So 4m+ boat up to 8, 6m+ boat up to 12. Or maybe half the registered number of passengers max for any boat sets the number.

    Small cabin boat registered for 4, gets 2x limit. Large cat registered for 8, gets 4 x limit. 6m mono registered for 6 gets 3x limit...

    That would at least make the circumstances have some logic. Boat limit, when boat size and circumstances varies greatly is a pretty blunt tool for control of quantity taken.





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #24
    Ausfish Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    The point of sustainability at which bag limits will increase, I have no problem with the boffins showing evidence that indicates that there is a need for the resource pressure to be reduced so that the stock is sustainable ,,,,,,But that would also mean that there would be a point at which the stock would be able to sustain an increase in resource utilisation ( an increase in bag limits ) without a balance in the equation then it is just a social engineering exercise to restrict the access to a resource of Joe Average and nothing whatsoever to do with protecting the resource.

    BigE
    What will happen is the commercial quota will increase, recreational limits will stay the same


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

  10. #25

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Everyone from the fisheries scientists involved in the Biomas survey to the minister to be sacked immediately.
    Jeez thatís a bit harsh.

  11. #26

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    After reading someones reply I'm thinking that there will be an Increase in charter applications for those who think they deserve more because there boat is bigger.

  12. #27

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    The boat limit is my beef.

    3 blokes fishing off the rocks, can keep 4 fish each.
    The same 3 blokes get in a boat, fish the same water, an only keep 8.
    Doesnt make sense.

    My particular situation, I live within a couple of street of 2 other mates. Each of us has a boat.
    When the stars align, we will all jump in one boat and head out. We just alternate boats.
    With this limit, we will now take 2 boats, and get a 4th bloke in as crew.

    Now potentially 4 extra fish will be taken, extra fuel used, ect, ect.

    Overall, wonít really effect me greatly, but certainly wonít reduce the amount of fish taken.

    Probably the opposite

    cheers
    rob

  13. #28

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Campbell View Post
    Jeez thatís a bit harsh.
    Please donít tell me you were one of the ones involved that decided that based on number of boats sold had a direct correlation to reduction in biomass this time?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  14. #29

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    From a personal perspective, the boat limit on snapper. With all the supposed doom and gloom they still make up the majority of the offshore catch in SEQ. Now effectively we are forced to make the decision between taking extra mates or a feed for the family when the majority of what gets thrown back will probably won't survive anyway. The science is full of holes and the whole thing smells of yet another deal for green preferences. I used to have a strict no upgrades policy on my boat. It's a practice I dislike but it will definitely get a rethink now.
    Iím in exactly the same boat as you now. What this says is that for the last 30 years fisheries has had absolutely no clue on what measures are needed to sustain fish stocks. Is this now the 4th or 5th turn at adding restrictions on Snapper?

    They didnít get it right all the other times, at what point do you just lose all confidence in these people to come up with a management plan that doesnít have a revolving door of doom and gloom predictions.

    We were told last time that the Snapper stocks were not at risk of collapse. We added a ridiculous measure-only on recreationals, and here we are a few years later and the stocks have become even worse?

    Im now firmly in the camp of people that believe fisheries scientists need to be constantly messing with the system and predicting doom to justify their existence on a tax payer funded gravy train.

    The whole department is a joke and any fisheries that board my boat from now on are going to get a gob full from the time they step on until the time they step off.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  15. #30

    Re: New bag and size limits as of today

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    After reading someones reply I'm thinking that there will be an Increase in charter applications for those who think they deserve more because there boat is bigger.
    Chris, If that someone you are referring is my comment, then you misinterpret the point completely.

    A larger boat is not about thinking you deserve more - it is simply expecting the same right to a limit PER PERSON as anyone else. The fact the 4 people are in the same tub, vs say 2 people in 2 smaller tubs really is irrelevant.
    Except the new regulation chooses to PENALISE the group of mates that are lucky enough to fish together in the same boat, purely becasue the boat is comfortable to fish more than 2.

    Please explain why you think that being able to put a group of people in 1 boat for a trip, vs that same group spread over 2 boats should change the amount of fish each person should be able to take???

    If fisheries really wanted further reductions, then just drop it to 3 per person limit, so ALL fishers feel the effect equally, whether in a 3.6m tinny or a 8m moored vessel. Much fairer than signalling out a select group of people for further reductions/disadvantages, inconsistent with the rest.

    Last time I looked it was not a crime to own a larger trailer boat. Plenty of Ausfishers have boats that comfortably fish more than 2 offshore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us