Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New bag and size limits as of today

Re: New bag and size limits as of today

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    So at least you have stopped calling it a 'quota' but it's not really a 'limit' either. You don't seem to realise that it's not all about you. The impact is collective and the partication in recreational fishing is going up. As to the weather - we have always had bad weather on occassions - but boats are bigger and better now and with better comunications. Also it not really a case of 'getting it wrong' they are just monitoring the state of the fishery and responding.

PS: Why do you need 3 or 4 mates to go fishing? 1 is ideal on my boat.
    Think it might be different up here in QLD mate.... We have a bag limit which specifically means" in possession" . We cannot do a reef trip- do daily trips hit bag limits each day and head back in and stock fish in the fridge/freeer. Take coral trout for example you can only have 7 per person at any point in time. You cannot have a freezer in excess of your bag limit...

Facts- might pay to check them...

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Here is the lack of "open mind" at work, we are arguing whether it's a quota or a limit, or if it's either, arguing about fish stock data, arguing about how that data is collected, or if it's accurate, how the data is used, and still most wouldnt give info to authorised data collectors, we want our "take" regardless of scientific estimates of the available stocks. I don't profess to know the answer, I am not even sure there is a real answer, but, it's in our hands if we allow it to be.

Where did you get that idea, ie 'still most wouldnt give info to authorised data collectors'. Surely the response rate would be noted and a low one would be a trigger point for further action to ensure the integrety of the survey? The NSW survey I read noted the reponse rates were very high (over 90%).

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Think it might be different up here in QLD mate.... We have a bag limit which specifically means" in possession" . We cannot do a reef trip- do daily trips hit bag limits each day and head back in and stock fish in the fridge/freeer. Take coral trout for example you can only have 7 per person at any point in time. You cannot have a freezer in excess of your bag limit...

Well might be or is there a possession limit? And suerly the possession limit would be higher than the bag limit? Also it's hard to enforce. Ie how likely is it for your house to be raided in order to check how many fish you have in the freezer. Whats to stop you giving them away to freinds and relatives?

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post

According to this there is a possession limit for snapper of 20 - which is well above the bag limit

Correction, there is no possession limit for snapper - it's tailor which has one of 20::

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/ac...-tidal#snapper

According to this there is a possession limit for snapper of 20 - which is well above the bag limit:

The possession limit for Snapper in QLD is 4 fish only.
    I don't know where you get that bag limit of 20 from.

Is there a daily bag limit in QLD as well as a possession limit?When holidaying in QLD I've always adhered to an in possession limit regardless of how many days I fish.

@Billfisher
    Out of interest........ Which state do you reside in?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    The possession limit for Snapper in QLD is 4 fish only.
    I don't know where you get that bag limit of 20 from.
    That's a bag limit (4 per day). Actually there is no possession limit. It looks like I read the one below snapper, ie tailor which has a possession limit of 20:

Snapper

Species Size and possession limits
    All 35cm min
    4 per person with no more than 1 over 70cm / 8 per boat with no more than 2 over 70cm (with 2 or more people on board)

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Is there a daily bag limit in QLD as well as a possession limit?When holidaying in QLD I've always adhered to an in possession limit regardless of how many days I fish.

@Billfisher
    Out of interest........ Which state do you reside in?
    NSW.

PS: I have corrected that - there is no possession limit for snapper according to the Qld government website.

According to this there is a possession limit for snapper of 20 - which is well above the bag limit:

Probably time for you to bow out chief.....This says to me you don't have a f@!#$%g clue.

Probably time for you to bow out chief.....This says to me you don't have a f@!#$%g clue.
    All it says is that I read the line below (as I explained). Why the need to be obnoxious?

Another way to look at it is the bag limit in qld IS the 'in possession' limit.
    Not a daily limit. If you live alone you can't have more than the bag limit on any day in your fridge.
    If you live with a partner (who might not even fish) you can double it (after you get the first bag limit of fish home). If you give it all away or eat some of it, only then can you catch more... but only to make up the bag limit.

I read some southern visitors at hervey bay got done over with excess whiting after an inspection of their fridge a little while ago. Probably got reported rather than random inspection tho.

Cheers.

That's a bag limit (4 per day). Actually there is no possession limit. It looks like I read the one below snapper, ie tailor which has a possession limit of 20:

Snapper

Species Size and possession limits
    All 35cm min
    4 per person with no more than 1 over 70cm / 8 per boat with no more than 2 over 70cm (with 2 or more people on board)
    You are so wrong again.
    There is a possession limit of 4 Snapper per person in QLD with the newly added boat possession limit of 8 Snapper.
    There is no such thing as a daily bag limit for Snapper, daily bag limits went out years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    You are so wrong again.
    There is a possession limit of 4 Snapper per person in QLD with the newly added boat possession limit of 8 Snapper.
    There is no such thing as a daily bag limit for Snapper, daily bag limits went out years ago.
    Correct, but that's only clear from the preamble:

"Possession limits are in place to conserve heavily sought after species, species that are easily captured, share more catch, reduce illegal fish marketing and promote responsible fishing. Possession limits do not apply on a per day basis. Any fish you have caught previously and may be keeping at home in your freezer, for example, are included in your possession limit for a fish species".

Correct, but tjhat's onlt clear from the preamble:

"Possession limits are in place to conserve heavily sought after species, species that are easily captured, share more catch, reduce illegal fish marketing and promote responsible fishing. Possession limits do not apply on a per day basis. Any fish you have caught previously and may be keeping at home in your freezer, for example, are included in your possession limit for a fish species".
    You don't fish much do you.......

You don't fish much do you.......
    Why would you think that? Quite a lot actually, just not often in Qld, mainly in NSW. I even have 2 boats.