Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Check out 3min 30 sec roughly, looks like some nice pressure waves.


  2. #2
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Haulover Inlet, and others in Florida can have nasty pressure waves on outgoing tides. But with no swell. But still not as bad as East Coast Australia bars, where you have outgoing tide and incoming swell.

  3. #3

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Not a lot of difference to a good a run out tide at the southern end of the pumice stone passage with wind against tide. Or for that matter the northern bay at times. Had some narly times crossing the northern bay when conditions arenít favourable.

  4. #4

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    So much for coming in on the back of a wave


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

  5. #5
    Ausfish Gold Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kalbarri, WA

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Yeah, it can be a bit hard when the distance between the waves is shorter than the length of your boat.

  6. #6

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    I'd imagine the bigger american boats are due to there poor economy a 32 footer centre console reconditioned is 100k here u would be lucky to buy a Bar Crusher for that with a few extra's and only 18 20ft

  7. #7

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    they are cheaper for many reasons
    $14 per hour labour
    no shipping on the outboards, import taxes gst added here
    just a bigger market overall

  8. #8

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Here's a question from a bar novice. Do pressure waves actually move? We had to turn around (carefully) trying to get out past the cape one morning due to dangerous conditions. (I will never trust my son to check weather conditions again. He took me out).
    Sat on the back of a big wave and hardly made any headway. Shat myself for a long time in the dark and haven't been back since. Lol

  9. #9

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    The Brisbane river mouth can be all that and more with a NE against tide.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

  10. #10

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    Here's a question from a bar novice. Do pressure waves actually move? We had to turn around (carefully) trying to get out past the cape one morning due to dangerous conditions. (I will never trust my son to check weather conditions again. He took me out).
    Sat on the back of a big wave and hardly made any headway. Shat myself for a long time in the dark and haven't been back since. Lol
    You crossed a bar at night? you have bals of steel, I donno if thats a thing to do but if u cannot see the waves how on earth do u predict your run?

  11. #11

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    Here's a question from a bar novice. Do pressure waves actually move? We had to turn around (carefully) trying to get out past the cape one morning due to dangerous conditions. (I will never trust my son to check weather conditions again. He took me out).
    Sat on the back of a big wave and hardly made any headway. Shat myself for a long time in the dark and haven't been back since. Lol
    It depends on how fast the tide is running. Yes, they can be stationary, meaning if you want to go home you have to punch over every one of them - carefully.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

  12. #12

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    A bit more cautious now. From memory it was a moonlit easter king tide...run out. Saw the breakers which the kid tried to convince me was the reef. I knew we weren't that far and then they were all across the horizon and behind us. Convinced him I wanted to live and turned around and sat on the back of one big mother and seemingly went nowhere for a long time. Had to move across it to get off it into somewhat smaller waves which we could drive over. Balls disappeared from fear of broaching and haven't seen them since.
    Would have loved to have been in a big yankee boat.

  13. #13

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    A bit more cautious now. From memory it was a moonlit easter king tide...run out. Saw the breakers which the kid tried to convince me was the reef. I knew we weren't that far and then they were all across the horizon and behind us. Convinced him I wanted to live and turned around and sat on the back of one big mother and seemingly went nowhere for a long time. Had to move across it to get off it into somewhat smaller waves which we could drive over. Balls disappeared from fear of broaching and haven't seen them since.
    Would have loved to have been in a big yankee boat.
    I don't live near a bar but i gotta say that's the first i've heard of someone crossing a bar at night, it would have been hell scary!! can imagine if it went pear shaped the amount of resources that would have been deployed to find you guys, crazy

  14. #14

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    even that 32 ft was getting pushed around, cant imagine that it be that light weight, some serious volumn of water in that bar rushing out,

  15. #15
    Ausfish Silver Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sunshine Coast

    Re: Now I understand why the Yanks have bigger boats..

    Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I don't live near a bar but i gotta say that's the first i've heard of someone crossing a bar at night, it would have been hell scary!! can imagine if it went pear shaped the amount of resources that would have been deployed to find you guys, crazy
    Noosa bar and wide bay bar get crossed over quite regularly at night up this way just need to pick your days!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevlacat 6.2m
    115 v4 evinrudes (going strong)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us