Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Poachers

It's nice to see the marine parks being patrolled but are the fines large enough to be a deterrent?

https://www.bnbfishing.com.au/great-...xKxN89HCdQZs28

Re: Poachers

Fines are pretty woeful imo but should be a 2 strikes and your licence is torn up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

One pro boat just had a trolling line out while crossing one of these Green Zones - and there are lot of cases like that which are fairly innocuous/ innicent mistakes. I'm not sure why some posters are baying for blood or being supportive of marine parks.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal View Post
    It's nice to see the marine parks being patrolled but are the fines large enough to be a deterrent?

https://www.bnbfishing.com.au/great-...xKxN89HCdQZs28
    I think confiscating the boat for 12 months, then paying $700+ fee to get it back.
    That might be a good deterrent, plus a heavy on the spot fine, after all, driving an unregistered vehicle and no licensed attracts similar consequences. Doesn't take long for word to get around.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    I think confiscating the boat for 12 months, then paying $700+ fee to get it back.
    That might be a good deterrent, plus a heavy on the spot fine, after all, driving an unregistered vehicle and no licensed attracts similar consequences. Doesn't take long for word to get around.

Roz
    Does it really matter if the fish were caught in a green zone, so long as they were obeying bag and size limits, closed seasons etc?

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Does it really matter if the fish were caught in a green zone, so long as they were obeying bag and size limits, closed seasons etc?
    Yes, yes it does
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Yes, yes it does
    Matt
    Do you know why? It's doubtful that marine parks do much when there is effective fisheries management in place.

What’s the point of marine park rules if they aren’t policed?

Do you know why? It's doughtful that marine parks do much when there is effective fisheries management in place.
    You talk about effective fisheries management …… but here is a case of ignoring "fisheries management" Marine parks being part of the management strategy.
    Unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of fishoes …. both pro & rec who flout the rules if not outright break them.

I'm quite happy that we do have marine parks because it is perhaps the only way we can effectively manage fisheries. …… sadly the fines don't go far enough.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You talk about effective fisheries management …… but here is a case of ignoring "fisheries management" Marine parks being part of the management strategy.
    Unfortunately there are a hell of a lot of fishoes …. both pro & rec who flout the rules if not outright break them.

I'm quite happy that we do have marine parks because it is perhaps the only way we can effectively manage fisheries. …… sadly the fines don't go far enough.

Chris
    What mean by fisheries management traditional fisheries management ie aside from marine parks. The latter can hardly be called part of the fisheries management strategy when they didn't come from any of our fisheries departments but were political initiatives. And I'll say it again - there is no evidence they do much when there is effective fisheries management in place. And they are costly too compared to just building on traditional methods:

https://theconversation.com/marine-p...ect-fish-66274

Do marine parks help fish and fishers?

Evidence of a benefit to fisheries from marine parks is scarce. However, there are some clear examples of fishing displacement that is so minor that there has been an overall increase in fish inside and outside the park. These examples show that marine parks can sometimes benefit fish stocks, the fishery and also the overall marine ecosystem. However, these examples come from situations where traditional fishery management has not been applied to prevent overfishing.This is consistent with modelling of marine parks that shows they only increase overall fish populations when there has been severe overfishing. This generally means that if there’s already effective traditional fisheries management, marine reserves cannot benefit fish stocks and fisheries, or restock fish outside the reserve (spillover) (see also here). In jurisdictions where fisheries management is lacking, any regulation, including through marine reserves, is better than nothing. But this isn’t the situation with Australia’s Commonwealth fisheries where harvest strategies are used and overfishing has been eliminated.

When green zones were introduced I remember a lot of people getting very annoyed. Everyone is entitled to their opinions...I respect that.
    My mind on green zones was made up after speaking to a fishing mate who is a Kiwi, he told me about a no fishing/green zone established (sorry I can't remember what Island) quite a few years ago, in fact well over a decade. It was located in an area where he did most of his fishing, which was beach & rock.
    He respected the restriction and simply fished near the edge of the zone.
    After a few years he noticed a massive increase in fish numbers close to the green zone.
    That completely changed his mind, it also changed my opinion, so I've become an advocate for green zones, it's a win win situation. If you could've heard his story you would understand.
    It's also happened down in my location, Coffs Harbour, there are no fish zones around the continental islands in this area, it takes a long time but local fish stocks have risen big time.

Another interesting situation.
    My first hand experience on what prawn trawlers take off the ocean floor would blow you away, they call it "by catch" I went out on a trawler a couple of times out through Southport and it seemed for every prawn caught a great stack of marine life was killed and turfed back, those critters are basically the bottom of the food chain. I've never bought trawler caught prawns since, I am hoping that farmed prawns will become the norm, I'm not completely sure but I've heard that prawn farms are creating pollution??? Hoping as time progresses science will come to the rescue.
    I will get off my soap box now LOL. Interesting topic you've brought up

Hope you can see me point of view.

Kind regards Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    When green zones were introduced I remember a lot of people getting very annoyed. Everyone is entitled to their opinions...I respect that.
    My mind on green zones was made up after speaking to a fishing mate who is a Kiwi, he told me about a no fishing/green zone established (sorry I can't remember what Island) quite a few years ago, in fact well over a decade. It was located in an area where he did most of his fishing, which was beach & rock.
    He respected the restriction and simply fished near the edge of the zone.
    After a few years he noticed a massive increase in fish numbers close to the green zone.
    That completely changed his mind, it also changed my opinion, so I've become an advocate for green zones, it's a win win situation. If you could've heard his story you would understand.
    It's also happened down in my location, Coffs Harbour, there are no fish zones around the continental islands in this area, it takes a long time but local fish stocks have risen big time.

Another interesting situation.
    My first hand experience on what prawn trawlers take off the ocean floor would blow you away, they call it "by catch" I went out on a trawler a couple of times out through Southport and it seemed for every prawn caught a great stack of marine life was killed and turfed back, those critters are basically the bottom of the food chain. I've never bought trawler caught prawns since, I am hoping that farmed prawns will become the norm, I'm not completely sure but I've heard that prawn farms are creating pollution??? Hoping as time progresses science will come to the rescue.
    I will get off my soap box now LOL. Interesting topic you've brought up

Hope you can see me point of view.

Kind regards Roz
    That's highly anecdotal eg quoting one guy from NZ, and I am not sure why you would think it would negate the empirical evidence I put up.

What mean by fisheries management traditional fisheries management ie aside from marine parks. The latter can hardly be called part of the fisheries management strategy when they didn't come from any of our fisheries departments but were political initiatives. And I'll say it again - there is no evidence they do much when there is effective fisheries management in place. And they are costly too compared to just building on traditional methods:

And I'll say it again - there is no evidence they do much when there is effective fisheries management in place. And they are costly too compared to just building on traditional methods:

No evidence or little evidence ……. how many studies have been done ? Are their studies that show a decline ?

Not disturbing the habitat or taking the fish in an area which normally would receive fishing pressure would without a doubt benefit a fishery with demersal species …….. I've spoken a divers that dive a few marine reserves in NSW - The biodiversity & fish qty is apparently outstanding . Having done some snorkelling earlier in the year up the Whitsundays - I can categorically say that the abundance of fish was 10 fold in the green zones .
    I'd love to see the "empirical " evidence to show that Green zones are not working

Oh & btw citing studies commissioned by the seafood industry would hardly go down as "independent research"

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

And I'll say it again - there is no evidence they do much when there is effective fisheries management in place. And they are costly too compared to just building on traditional methods:

No evidence or little evidence ……. how many studies have been done ? Are their studies that show a decline ?

Not disturbing the habitat or taking the fish in an area which normally would receive fishing pressure would without a doubt benefit a fishery with demersal species …….. I've spoken a divers that dive a few marine reserves in NSW - The biodiversity & fish qty is apparently outstanding . Having done some snorkelling earlier in the year up the Whitsundays - I can categorically say that the abundance of fish was 10 fold in the green zones .
    I'd love to see the "empirical " evidence to show that Green zones are not working

Oh & btw citing studies commissioned by the seafood industry would hardly go down as "independent research"

Chris
    I did put up evidence. You are not making much sense. First you ignore it then say it was sponsored by the seafood industry!

PS: No one says that there won't be some increase in fish no's inside a green zone. But most of the ocean is still open to fishing and there is still demand for fish. There is the problem of fishing pressure being displaced to the fished areas. There is scant evidence that they of an overall benefit to fisheries. Also remember traditional methods can be adjusted at very little cost. This article suggests that this would work better on the GBR along with smaller marine parks:

https://theconversation.com/how-ecos...them-too-29977

- The biodiversity & fish qty is apparently outstanding . Having done some snorkelling earlier in the year up the Whitsundays - I can categorically say that the abundance of fish was 10 fold in the green zones .

Chris
    10 fold is just a number you have plucked out of the air. Green zones have been extensively studied on the GBR and nothing like that has been found. They show less than double (green zones verses fished zones) and that's at best (some don't show any increase). You comments seem to reflect your faith in a cause rather than any knowledge of the subject.