Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Why are you throwing my own words back at me?

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Why are you throwing my own words back at me?
    Because your not actually making a coherent argument. You are dismissing anecdotal evidence whilst using it yourself, throwing up straw men and dismissing other opinions simply because you don't agree.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Because your not actually making a coherent argument. You are dismissing anecdotal evidence whilst using it yourself, throwing up straw men and dismissing other opinions simply because you don't agree.

Matt
    What anecdotal evidence on my part? Or so called strawman's for that matter? Please elaborate. I have in fact offered scientific references which you have chosen to ignore.

image.jpeg
    Last dot point. Would love to have seen the faces if fisheries said righto if that’s what you want let’s do it.

Scientific data....I'm in. This one's about trout. Green zones work.

Try the highlights

"Larval exchange among reefs demonstrates that established reserves form a highly connected network and contribute larvae for the replenishment of fished reefs at multiple spatial scales. Our findings highlight the potential for long‐distance dispersal in an important group of reef fishes, and provide further evidence that effectively protected reserves can yield recruitment and sustainability benefits for exploited fish populations."

And now the source.Large‐scale, multidirectional larval connectivity among coral reef fish populations in the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park

David H. Williamson
    Hugo B. Harrison
    Glenn R. Almany
    Michael L. Berumen
    Michael Bode
    Mary C. Bonin
    Severine Choukroun
    Peter J. Doherty
    Ashley J. Frisch
    Pablo Saenz‐Agudelo
    Geoffrey P. Jones

First published: 11 November 2016
    https://doi.org/10.1111/mec.13908
    Cited by: 25

Sorry, probably also should have added the journal.

"Molecular Ecology"

And a link to the paper itself.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/mec.13908

so what if some of them support green zones?
    Already answered in previous post.

Sucked in, gullible and uninformed.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Sorry, probably also should have added the journal.

"Molecular Ecology"

And a link to the paper itself.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/mec.13908
    Actually this doesn't prove 'green zones work'. For a start there is no evidence of a shortage of the fish larva on the GBR. For proof fish no's have actually been boosted due to spill over you have to look at catch data and this work hasn't been done. And in the 2012 Harrison paper it refers to discounts effects like displaced fishing pressure and site selection bias yet these are recognised as being present in the very areas studied in the scientific literature. Prof Colin Buxton took them to task on all of these points in the comments section. The authors seemed to back down from claims of a benefit to fisheries.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Already answered in previous post.

Sucked in, gullible and uninformed.
    Proving your signature right with every post.

Matt

Prof Colin Buxton took them to task on all of these points in the comments section. The authors seemed to back down from claims of a benefit to fisheries.
    Can you link me to those comments please?

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Can you link me to those comments please?
    The journal changed it's format and all the comments were lost. Fortunately I printed a copy.

He made similar observation here:

https://www.abc.net.au/science/artic...20/3719773.htm

'Long bow'

Fisheries ecologist Professor Colin Buxton of the University of Tasmania describes Leis' research as "very interesting"."It adds quite significantly to our understanding of how larvae are dispersed in the ocean," says Buxton.But, he says larval dispersal from marine parks does not necessarily benefit fisheries.He says there is no data showing there is a shortage of larval fish in the first place in Australia's fished areas, and no evidence showing marine parks give measurable improvement in yield."Governments tend to talk about a network of marine parks that will benefit everybody but it's a long bow to draw," says Buxton."There is very little science that actually quantifies that is an actual benefit."The whole question of whether [marine parks] will benefit fisheries is a highly contestable position and it's a position our governments take based on a very weak scientific argument."This paper is probably very valuable for understanding connectivity of marine protected areas from a biodiversity perspective, but less so for the whole argument of whether marine parks are a socially and economically effective fisheries management tool."

The only people who argue against marine parks are vested interest groups & those that don't want to lose their access to fishing grounds …. nothing more .

If you look deeply into the studies that have been done , there are very few globally that get the nod of approval …… on either side of the debate - there just hasn't been enough work done over a long enough period or over many different locations to say categorically that marine parks work or not …….. just bits and pieces .

The more you read the more you realise that this is the case .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey guys. Lets take a step back and apply the RISK ASSESSMENT MATRIX to this argument.

Assume the following scenario:

++ we assume: greenzones work and we do something about expanding them = more fish
    +- we assume: green zones work and we dont do something about expanding protecting them for argument sake lets remove them = less fish
    -+ we assume: green zones dont work and we do something about expanding them = same fish
    -- we assume: green zones dont work and we remove them = less fish

No take a look at your assumptions. I cant see any reason apart from personal gain not to expand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Strangely enough there is a couple of green zones near me that I dive now and then, and I can tell you there is a lot more quality fish in the green zone than well away from it, don't quite understand why, it's almost like the fish know it's safe, kind of like a bird in a cage, or dog in the back yard maybe? not trying to be a greenie or suggest anything like that, it's just an observation.
    Your are SPOT ON Noelm!!!!!

When you fish or dive the same area and see first hand the actual difference green zones make to the overall marine environment you quickly change your perspective. Some areas can take years and decades to recover. A lot of people don't realise the entire food chain needs to re establish before the species we fish for increase in viable numbers.
    A comment was posted regarding fishing inside green zones. Not an opinion that makes any sense to me.

I had friends who were professional fishos, the stories they used to tell on how it "used to be".
    One little quote.... and I am not paraphrasing. "the waves used to be black with mullet" that was regarding the beach south of the Local reef at Kingscliff, the pros used to net mullet there at certain times of the year.
    Enough said.
    Spot on Noelm, ur a champion.
    Cheers Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!