Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Campbell View Post

Is this accurate?

A number of fish species become female after reaching a particular weight or perhaps age. Can't be more specific but Barra may fit that category... again I'm not %100 sure. Australian Bass... another shot in the dark.
    cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

THE BURLY TRAIL IS STILL WORKING!!!!!!! but not on me..
    Hey Phillip about time I fished on Rebait again. My avatar pic just reminded me LOL.
    anyway, I'm in the middle of doing a rod repair for a mate down here, however the old saying about putting a cherry on a t*** applies, the rod fits the description of the latter... all the rebinding & repairs in the world ain't gunna change that.

cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Too often when I hear these numbers bandied around people assume that we are talking about fresh fish ……. why do import so much kind of thing ?. It's not that there isn't local supply of fresh fish ….. it's because a lot of what we consume is pre prepared / processed stuff - We don't have canneries any more or packaging operations …… & that's because in reality Australia is not that great a commercial fishery (believe it or not) - in general what we produce is higher end quality seafood that commands big dollars as an export.
    Yes demand is here ….. but not in the form & price point that Australians like & as such is brought in filling a big proportion of our seafood imports.

Chris
    Canned/ processed seafood is about half the imports by value - so even without them there is a large shortfall. If we had more canneries of our own then we would have to fish our stocks harder - but why would you wish for that? Eg the closure of the cannery in Eden did wonders for salmon stocks in NSW.

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    THE BURLY TRAIL IS STILL WORKING!!!!!!! but not on me..
    Hey Phillip about time I fished on Rebait again. My avatar pic just reminded me LOL.
    anyway, I'm in the middle of doing a rod repair for a mate down here, however the old saying about putting a cherry on a t*** applies, the rod fits the description of the latter... all the rebinding & repairs in the world ain't gunna change that.

cheers r.
    Well what I remember in our last little exchange was that I made some good points and all I got from you was a wall of silence - until this.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Canned/ processed seafood is about half the imports by value - so even without them there is a large shortfall. If we had more canneries of our own then we would have to fish our stocks harder - but why would you wish for that? Eg the closure of the cannery in Eden did wonders for salmon stocks in NSW.
    Not many Aus Salmon got canned, mostly Tuna, including Stripies which were taken by the thousands of tonnes.

Well roz, things haven't changed here in the last 12 pages, although I did run out of popcorn, ( twice ) Noel ran out of beer and I made beer squirt out of thegurn's nose... post number 158 on page 11.

Yes, ReBait doesn't see the water as much as it should. The weather looks good this weekend, but a family function on Sunday has put a stop to any " long adventure ". Maybe I'll head to the sunny coast for some Grassie Sweetlip and Snaps.... yes that old " vermin " . .Pagrus auratus or Knobbies, Snapper..... what ever we call 'em up here.

My rod building skills are still hanging in, put a new tip on an Ugly Stick the other day...

What was the topic again ? oh that 's right... poachers. ><> ><>

On that note I see a Qld trawler operator has been pinged $10,000 for fishing in a green zone........... pretty poor effort on the legal system, when this guy can put over that in an esky in one night !, So how many nights has he been doing this ? Fisheries are using Radars, Drones, Infrared plane mounted cameras and more to catch the " poachers " on our productive waters.

If you see anyone doing the wrong thing, including trolling AF please report it to the relevant authorities.

Hope VC3 is still going strong... although I reckon a new 4 stroke would help ... ><> ><> ><>

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Well roz, things haven't changed here in the last 12 pages, although I did run out of popcorn, ( twice ) Noel ran out of beer and I made beer squirt out of thegurn's nose... post number 158 on page 11.

Yes, ReBait doesn't see the water as much as it should. The weather looks good this weekend, but a family function on Sunday has put a stop to any " long adventure ". Maybe I'll head to the sunny coast for some Grassie Sweetlip and Snaps.... yes that old " vermin " . .Pagrus auratus or Knobbies, Snapper..... what ever we call 'em up here.

My rod building skills are still hanging in, put a new tip on an Ugly Stick the other day...

What was the topic again ? oh that 's right... poachers. ><> ><>

On that note I see a Qld trawler operator has been pinged $10,000 for fishing in a green zone........... pretty poor effort on the legal system, when this guy can put over that in an esky in one night !, So how many nights has he been doing this ? Fisheries are using Radars, Drones, Infrared plane mounted cameras and more to catch the " poachers " on our productive waters.

If you see anyone doing the wrong thing, including trolling AF please report it to the relevant authorities.

Hope VC3 is still going strong... although I reckon a new 4 stroke would help ... ><> ><> ><>

cheers LP
    VC3 is gathering dust in the garage ATM....Yep a 4 stroke is on my XMAS prezzie list to myself. Might change the name to HER BOAT.... Not short of deckie wannabes but much prefer to head out to sea by myself...
    You still haven't sold that jetski!!! how long now??

Got the first coat of finish of that dumb ars** rod earlier, only going to do two coats. Best thing about that rod is the old world butt section, timber lathe turned, it's an old fiberglass rod, missing about a meter from the base section, location of the feral is a dead give away.
    Trawlers .... been on one & seen the damage, I find it sad that they call it "harvesting" .... well, harvesting generally means you put something in to get something out. Can't post my full opinion, it would be moderated BIG TIME!!!

cheers r
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    VC3 i

Trawlers .... been on one & seen the damage, I find it sad that they call it "harvesting" .... well, harvesting generally means you put something in to get something out. Can't post my full opinion, it would be moderated BIG TIME!!!

cheers r
    Several States have area bans on trawling under fisheries management that are bigger than any of the marine parks they host.

I think the days of lots of trawlers are numbered, most have been bought out, and technology has improved making nets less destructive and limiting by catch considerably, I know here in Wollongong only a few years ago there was a fleet of big bottom trawlers, not there is 2 or 3 doesn't make it all OK, but, at least things have improved somewhat, they cant trawl anywhere near the rec Flathead grounds now.

You’d have to think the Trawler operator didn’t know or didn’t check diligently enough to know he was in a green zone at the time. All the QLD trawlers have GPS tracking systems on them that will tell Fisheries they are in a green zone within a few minutes. Hard to believe anyone would be that dumb.

I heard Fisheries wanted to install cameras on the back decks of the boats also. All paid for by the operators. I think that’s a step too far.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.