Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Is it just time to call someone a " nasty person "

edited by LP............ .

Pps bagged out yesterday

Matt
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-10-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Not too sure where that is coming from, but even with spaces it might get you a warning.

It's early and I'm in a good mood, so edited only.... above post. LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 01-10-2019 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Here's another reference. It points out that demand is also rising faster than our production, so we are relying more and more on imports:

https://www.cannonlogistics.com.au/blog/how-big-is-australias-seafood-industry/

Domestic & importWhile we rely on exporting seafood to attribute to Australia’s economy, the truth is that domestic demands for seafood are increasing. Even though local seafood is relatively plentiful in Australia, it’s still not enough in regards to annual demands. To cope with this demand, Australia does import seafood.In 2012-2013, seafood imports from other countries accounted for approximately 66% of Australia’s total seafood consumption for that period.Since 2000, Australia’s average consumption of seafood has increased by 3% every year. Between 2000 and 2001, consumption sat at 248,515 tonnes. By 2012-2013, this consumption sat at 345,326 tonnes. Despite our increased appetite for seafood, local supplies simply can’t keep up.While our average consumption has been increasing by an average of 3% per year, domestic supply has only been able to increase by an average of 1% per year. This increasing gap between demand and supply is what’s led to an increased reliance on imported seafood.
    But you need to remember - this includes canned & frozen seafood ……. so your tin of sardines , tuna , salmon etc through to your frozen box of I & J hoki , birds eye fish fingers …… etc . These make up the majority of the imports .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

It's pretty hard to argue we do import lots of seafood, but, as mentioned, a lot is what is kind of preprepared, canned, frozen and cooked, ready to microwave, on the other side, lots of what we export is high value, simply because it's not viable for us to export "cheap" processed goods, especially with our high quality/health standards, products like Abalone are an example, high value, farmed and wild harvested, but not commonly consumed here, what I get cheesed off about is quality "common" fish sent overseas and rubbish imported, that makes little sense, except to the big exporter who makes money from our high quality produce, yet we get fed slops! Coral Trout, Lobsters and premium quality Prawns, right down to large Garfish are practically unobtainable to us, unless you can catch your own, except for Crystal Bay Prawns, (which are farmed) I cant remember seeing fresh (not frozen) quality Australian, wild caught King Prawns for sale for ages and ages!

We import 70% of our seafood because we want sustainable fisheries. Ie if we supplied all our own then there would be more risk and less fish left for recreational fishermen.
    Yep I agree...and if so many consumers are happy to dine on sh!t-eating vietenmese catfish then let them...

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    But you need to remember - this includes canned & frozen seafood ……. so your tin of sardines , tuna , salmon etc through to your frozen box of I & J hoki , birds eye fish fingers …… etc . These make up the majority of the imports .

Chris
    Why the distinction? It's still seafood and we still have a large shortfall between what we produce and what we consume.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Pretty sure it’s because people don’t want to pay co-op prices for local caught so purchase imported crap from the supermarkets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep..thats what it all comes down to in the end....Just simple economics...who could expect that fisherman should accept lower prices to keep their product in Australia when O/S markets are willing to pay a premium for our top quality product...its just the same as any business..you will sell to the highest bidder...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yep..thats what it all comes down to in the end....Just simple economics...who could expect that fisherman should accept lower prices to keep their product in Australia when O/S markets are willing to pay a premium for our top quality product...its just the same as any business..you will sell to the highest bidder...
    But is it such a bad thing? The money comes into Australia and helps the economy and the trade baance.

I remember a short clip that showed a basa processing plant. Might have been Min Kong Delta. (spelling?). It was reportedly world class and looked very clean and modern.
    Unfortunately(?), the clip also showed where the fish come from, including the pond workers toilet, which was a short wooden jetty over the river with a hole in it to do your business. Right beside the water pump intake for the ponds that held the fish.
    Yeeew!!!

I've also heard (don't know if it's true or false) that old expired antibiotics are used to try and keep the fish healthy.

Mmmm. Yummy.
    Enjoy !!

Why the distinction? It's still seafood and we still have a large shortfall between what we produce and what we consume.
    Too often when I hear these numbers bandied around people assume that we are talking about fresh fish ……. why do import so much kind of thing ?. It's not that there isn't local supply of fresh fish ….. it's because a lot of what we consume is pre prepared / processed stuff - We don't have canneries any more or packaging operations …… & that's because in reality Australia is not that great a commercial fishery (believe it or not) - in general what we produce is higher end quality seafood that commands big dollars as an export.
    Yes demand is here ….. but not in the form & price point that Australians like & as such is brought in filling a big proportion of our seafood imports.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    I remember a short clip that showed a basa processing plant. Might have been Min Kong Delta. (spelling?). It was reportedly world class and looked very clean and modern.
    Unfortunately(?), the clip also showed where the fish come from, including the pond workers toilet, which was a short wooden jetty over the river with a hole in it to do your business. Right beside the water pump intake for the ponds that held the fish.
    Yeeew!!!

I've also heard (don't know if it's true or false) that old expired antibiotics are used to try and keep the fish healthy.

Mmmm. Yummy.
    Enjoy !!
    Ahhh reminds me of the days when I used to fish the outlet at Blue fish point (Manly)……. you could literally catch 100s of bream , blackfish & trevally in a session - I remember nearly throwing up when I landed a big bream that was stuffed to the gills with corn …… yummo
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Too often when I hear these numbers bandied around people assume that we are talking about fresh fish ……. why do import so much kind of thing ?. It's not that there isn't local supply of fresh fish ….. it's because a lot of what we consume is pre prepared / processed stuff - We don't have canneries any more or packaging operations …… & that's because in reality Australia is not that great a commercial fishery (believe it or not) - in general what we produce is higher end quality seafood that commands big dollars as an export.
    Yes demand is here ….. but not in the form & price point that Australians like & as such is brought in filling a big proportion of our seafood imports.

Chris
    Well we have had a few until fairly recently and there is a new one opening up in WA;

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...salmon/9648348

Ahhh reminds me of the days when I used to fish the outlet at Blue fish point (Manly)……. you could literally catch 100s of bream , blackfish & trevally in a session - I remember nearly throwing up when I landed a big bream that was stuffed to the gills with corn …… yummo
    And the days out from the mouth of Brisbane river when I was a kid with the old man. Luggage point was more of a pipe than a treatment facility.
    The things that would wrap around your line aren't happy memories. Surprised we survived. Tho I did miss a lot of school. Winter whiting sure are easier to swallow these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurn View Post
    And the days out from the mouth of Brisbane river when I was a kid with the old man. Luggage point was more of a pipe than a treatment facility.
    The things that would wrap around your line aren't happy memories. Surprised we survived. Tho I did miss a lot of school. Winter whiting sure are easier to swallow these days.
    We used to call them Churchill Bream.

Chris
    Fun fact - not all imports are "technically" imports either. It is so much cheaper to process in China that the cost of airfreight in both directions can be built into the product without issue. In this case it was gulf prawns being processed into prawn cutlets. Price point is most definitely a big factor for Aussie seafood sales. If you look at the price of a kilo of prawns now and compare it what they cost in "yesterday's" dollars, they have gotten cheaper - as a direct result of wholesale companies using import prices to set their buy rates if you talk to the fisherman. It's no wonder they turn to the export markets if they can because their running costs certainly haven't stayed static in the last 20 years.