Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    We import 70% of our seafood because we want sustainable fisheries. Ie if we supplied all our own then there would be more risk and less fish left for recreational fishermen.
    We import to increase profits …… The supermarkets in particular have the choice of where they source their produce from - so what do you think they are going to do …. maximise their profits

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    We import to increase profits …… The supermarkets in particular have the choice of where they source their produce from - so what do you think they are going to do …. maximise their profits

Chris
    It's news to me that fishmongers have a problem selling fresh locally caught fish. And actually supermarkets do sell Australian caught fish. We have to import because the volume is not enough to meet demand.

The entire imported/local/product of seafood industry is a shit shower, I got involved in depth a few years ago, and it is a sham at best, red tape, finger pointing and just general bad practice is rife, the simple fact remains, the majority of consumers are probably either non fishers or casual fishers, so, while doing the groceries, it's so easy to just wander up to the counter and buy some radio active prawns or similar cheap products rather than pay a bit extra for some Aus fish (if you are lucky enough to find some) I buy a bit of stuff, Prawns (I like Crystal Bay or Mooloolaba if I can find them) I even buy farmed "hand painted" Salmon now and then, but, Lobsters, most fish and so on I catch myself.

I buy Crystal bay prawns Because I am of the belief they are Australian farm prawns.....Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    I buy Crystal bay prawns Because I am of the belief they are Australian farm prawns.....Am I correct?
    Correct and bloody good prawns at that.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    That can't possibly work. What we export is high value but low in volume. And we import 70% of what we consume (by volume). So being self sufficient involves significantly more fishing pressure.
    are you suggesting that if we stopped exporting seafood and kept everything we currently catch for the local markets that we would still have to Import seafood?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    are you suggesting that if we stopped exporting seafood and kept everything we currently catch for the local markets that we would still have to Import seafood?
    Of course - why would you think otherwise? Like I said the volume is small (exports) but the value is high. And we are talking about a different market ie we export premium tuna, rock lobster and abalone compared to imports of tinned tuna, frozen fillets. Ie they aren't direct substitutes.

This is an interesting read. As you can see there is a gap - all of our seafood production is less than our imports:

http://www.fao.org/in-action/globefi...alia-trade/en/

Australia fisheries statistics: production, consumption and trade

Australian seafood production stood at 246 100 tonnes in 2015. Total production has remained stable over the last decade with a notable increase of the contribution from aquaculture to compensate for decreased wild-capture fisheries. Indeed, the contribution from aquaculture grew from 16 percent in 2004 to 37 percent in 2015, with salmonid farming driving most of this increase. Interestingly, Australia has the world’s largest wild-caught abalone fishery. In 2014, Australia produced nearly 5 000 tonnes of abalone, which includes almost 900 tonnes from aquaculture. 2007 marked a shift in the Australian trade balance as the country became a net seafood importer, with the trade gap only widening since then. In 2016, Australia imported over 299 400 tonnes of seafood valued at USD 1.49 billion, a 50 percent increase in value compared with 2007. In contrast, exported volumes were down 76 percent during the same review period. The total value of exports slightly increased by 9 percent.

Here's another reference. It points out that demand is also rising faster than our production, so we are relying more and more on imports:

https://www.cannonlogistics.com.au/blog/how-big-is-australias-seafood-industry/

Domestic & importWhile we rely on exporting seafood to attribute to Australia’s economy, the truth is that domestic demands for seafood are increasing. Even though local seafood is relatively plentiful in Australia, it’s still not enough in regards to annual demands. To cope with this demand, Australia does import seafood.In 2012-2013, seafood imports from other countries accounted for approximately 66% of Australia’s total seafood consumption for that period.Since 2000, Australia’s average consumption of seafood has increased by 3% every year. Between 2000 and 2001, consumption sat at 248,515 tonnes. By 2012-2013, this consumption sat at 345,326 tonnes. Despite our increased appetite for seafood, local supplies simply can’t keep up.While our average consumption has been increasing by an average of 3% per year, domestic supply has only been able to increase by an average of 1% per year. This increasing gap between demand and supply is what’s led to an increased reliance on imported seafood.

Milo Minderbinder would be proud of our trading policies.

The Tipping Point always occurs when a cheaper alternative, becomes available, and it doesn't even need to have the same quality.

Exactly. No chance that Australia’s consumption of “seafood” increases that rapidly if cheap imports weren’t available. Australia could easily supply itself with enough sea food if imports/exports stopped.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Exactly. No chance that Australia’s consumption of “seafood” increases that rapidly if cheap imports weren’t available. Australia could easily supply itself with enough sea food if imports/exports stopped.
    Our population has been growing around 1.6 - 1.7% a year so that accounts for a large chunk of the 3% pa growth in seafood consumption. And even if demand stopped rising there is still a large shortfall between what we produce and what we consume. It would take a huge collapse in demand to make us self sufficient, which seems far fetched given that production has been stable at around 230,000 tonnes per year for 20 years while in 2012/13 consumption was 345,000 tonnes.

More and more VEGANS are being produced... so our seafood demand has dropped. Long live the Lentil

Kudos to kale !!

I must be a VEGAN as I will only eat cows that eat grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I must be a VEGAN as I will only eat cows that eat grass.

And another thing, do you know how many acres of land are being cleared to make way for Vegan food ? So many native animals, insects, birds and more are being killed or left homeless, because some lattee' sippin, brainwashed, leftie lounge lizard thinks they are doing the planet a favour by not eating meats.... sustainable meats at that. Don't get me started !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ><>