Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Probably not convenient, it's easier to just catch a few tonnes of Pilchards/Slimies/Yakkas than to mess around making food that would not lessen a link in the food chain, the dollar has always had the loudest voice, and let's be honest, if you had a nation queuing up to pay silly money for Abalone or Tuna (or anything else) why wouldn't you cater for them? what really hurts is we will readily accept their rubbish Catfish and toxic Prawns that Supermarkets pedal to the masses, while they dine on our prime quality exports.
    Sadly the average consumer do not know what Basa is or where & how along with Vannamei prawns are farmed …….. it just appears on the shelf as a cheap alternative to local seafood .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yep that's true, but, it doesn't change the fact that this shit can rubbish is in our shops, and "we" buy it, how hard would it be to simply say no, piss off (at a Government level) to this largely unregulated act of bringing crap to our shores, then put a huge tax on our exported seafood, making it even dearer for the offshore buyers, but, at least we get a bag of cash to the Aus coffers as well, I have not got a real issue with people making money, and if other nations are silly enough to pay top dollar for Abalone, then so be it, they are at best just OK to eat, but, feeding Tuna, that were not truly "farmed" to cater for a largely offshore market is another story again.

Yep that's true, but, it doesn't change the fact that this shit can rubbish is in our shops, and "we" buy it, how hard would it be to simply say no, piss off (at a Government level) to this largely unregulated act of bringing crap to our shores, then put a huge tax on our exported seafood, making it even dearer for the offshore buyers, but, at least we get a bag of cash to the Aus coffers as well, I have not got a real issue with people making money, and if other nations are silly enough to pay top dollar for Abalone, then so be it, they are at best just OK to eat, but, feeding Tuna, that were not truly "farmed" to cater for a largely offshore market is another story again.
    Couldn’t agree more ,stop imported seafood or tax it out of existence and have it so Australian customers get seafood that’s clean and unadulterated so if that happened the Aussie farmer of seafood would sell more and not have to ship it and keep the best for our consumers. Baby formula is a perfect example of Australian goods that people are willing to pay top dollar for without flinching .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yep, be there shortly with esky in hand!
    I'll have to get restocked.

The wind is getting up so fishing is off for today and I really don't feel like cementing and rendering so back to the comedy festival.

LP, don't forget about the imported sardines that were used to feed the penned tuna had introduced a virus that nearly wiped out the pillie industry.

Bluefin, that's the problem with a global economy, any govt that tries to reintroduce tariffs will find themselves in deep poo. I personally think they should be reintroduced as it has affected our entire economy. So many primary producers bulldozing their crops as they can't compete. I know of an orange farmer that did that.

I guess the problem of living in a country with such abundance is we (general population) just can't see the point of investing in aquaculture when our waters are 'teeming' with fish,we seem to have a mindset that says use what's there first then worry about it.
    We also have a mindset that has us comfortable with exporting harvested wild stock while importing farmed fish and crustaceans from countries with little or no biosecurity,
    I guess someone else will put in the hard yards with regards to aquaculture,and when we finally get the head of that golden goose we will pay dearly for the technology,if indeed it is for sale.

Some here might remember why I am so pissed off about imported rubbish, it's one of the few things that gets my temperature up to uncomfortable levels, it's time to put our foot down firmly on this practice before it's too late.

Totally agree Noelm
    However the problem is, our political masters( regardless of political persuasion) have not got the balls to introduce tariffs etc, for fear of upsetting our trading partners.
    Appologies for heading off topic.
    Shawn

Some here might remember why I am so pissed off about imported rubbish, it's one of the few things that gets my temperature up to uncomfortable levels, it's time to put our foot down firmly on this practice before it's too late.
    We import 70% of our seafood because we want sustainable fisheries. Ie if we supplied all our own then there would be more risk and less fish left for recreational fishermen.

What are you smoking Billfisher. Those that want to stop the Imports are suggesting that we export less and keep it for the local market.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

We probably do import 70% of our seafood, but, we export more than we bring in, and the issue for me, is the shit we bring in, not the quantity, or the country it comes from, it's just poor quality, almost unregulated trash, raised in festering ponds with no regard for the end user, us!

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    We import 70% of our seafood because we want sustainable fisheries. Ie if we supplied all our own then there would be more risk and less fish left for recreational fishermen.
    Pretty sure it’s because people don’t want to pay co-op prices for local caught so purchase imported crap from the supermarkets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    What are you smoking Billfisher. Those that want to stop there Imports are suggesting that we export less and keep it for the local market.
    That can't possibly work. What we export is high value but low in volume. And we import 70% of what we consume (by volume). So being self sufficient involves significantly more fishing pressure.

We probably do import 70% of our seafood, but, we export more than we bring in, and the issue for me, is the shit we bring in, not the quantity, or the country it comes from, it's just poor quality, almost unregulated trash, raised in festering ponds with no regard for the end user, us!
    No, the exports are small in volume but high in value. Plus not all the imports are poor quality, eg what we take from NZ.

I read somewhere that If it stays on the dock in NZ for 24hrs, it can be labelled 'product of NZ'.
    True or false re seafood? Particularly frozen stuff.

Cheers
    Gurn