Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Poachers

Re: Poachers

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yep, be there shortly with esky in hand!
    This wasn't very funny the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    This wasn't very funny the first time around.
    Yeah it was...no one is throwing sh1t at you, it's just simply this topic is unwinnable (is that a word?) all parties have differing views, neither is fully wrong or right, and no one is going to bend, so, popcorn it is, this might take over from the 4 stroke V 2 stroke as the most divided question. I said way back, it's all a very emotive issue, data is sketchy at best, but there's nothing else better.

Maybe it's time for commercial fishers to purchase their stock, pen,feed and treat them before selling them on.Would solve a lot of problems and it's something every other primary producer has to do.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Maybe it's time for commercial fishers to purchase their stock, pen,feed and treat them before selling them on.Would solve a lot of problems and it's something every other primary producer has to do.
    Doesn't exactly work out like that, it takes a lot of (say) Pilchards to feed "farmed" Tuna, way more in weight than the Tuna is when sold, but, it's only Pilchards, so who cares? Hang on, am I getting dragged in?

Yep tacking ------> Aquaculture. I have seen first hand what " some " aquaculture industries do to " natural habitat and fisheries ".

I like the idea , but it is not absolute or without problems, such as you mentioned... the amount of feed required. The Tasmanian Salmon farming ( not all I will add ) has produced 2 problems.

1... the poo has killed the Mussel farm that was there first ( in this particular area ), this was after the state gave approval to expand Salmon operations.

2.. certain dyes ( read.... bad ass chemicals ) are incorporated into the feed of these particular Salmon to produce a pink flesh similar to wild caught stocks.

If all we are going to is add chemicals to our farm fish, pillage wild stocks for feed and who knows what else, then I am out.

Now that science is frothing with technologies that allows mirco examination of fish, right down to molecules, then if the Genome from wild stock and farmed stock can be matched 100%, then I'll reconsider.

This examination does NOT take place in countries that have trade agreements with Australia, in particular those that export their " raw and cooked prawns ". This is despite Bio-Security Australia assuring Aussies these products are safe, just like they told us the raw prawns are safe, " pre-white spot ". Work with me here.....

Country of Origin supplies certification of their product for Bio-Security Australia........... seriously ??????????

Does anyone remember the time when Pillies were cheaper than chips ? That was until some ferret decided they could be " promoted " as people food, ( Italy has been doing this since Thor played fullback for the Asgard under 9's ) and WA co-ops started packaging them into cans for human consumption labeled Sardines and bazinger... pillie prices for bait increased 10 fold. insert " not happy jan face ".

I digress, popcorn supplies running low, time to hit up Aldi for bulk deal...
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Maybe they should pass a law that only Carp can be used as fish farm food? catch the pesky Carp, shred them into paste then make food pellets out of them, feeding Aquaculture farms is another issue altogether, and in a way, similar to what is going on here, different parties divided by greed and convenience, farmed fish sounds fabulous, and placates the greens to some extent, but in reality, most are just replacing one food chain species for a food species, and unless that farmed species a big dollar species, it's just not worth the effort.

OH, and don't get me started on imported shit, that will make me spill both popcorn and beer!

"since Thor played fullback for the Asgard under 9's"

Beer just shot out my nose !! Eyes watering and still choking ! Spat all over my phone. Damn near ruined it.
    Luv it
    Finally after 11 pages... something that I can appreciate.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Doesn't exactly work out like that, it takes a lot of (say) Pilchards to feed "farmed" Tuna, way more in weight than the Tuna is when sold, but, it's only Pilchards, so who cares? Hang on, am I getting dragged in?
    Then be a pilchard farmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Yeah, you could try that, unfortunately the returns would be so low you wouldn't last, even if you did spend the money to find out how to breed, house, feed, harvest and everything else that goes with it. Most things are not viable to farm, just thinking for a bit, probably the few things that are successful would be Oysters, Mussels, Abalone, perhaps Yabbies/Marron and Mudcrabs and Prawns seem to be all doing OK, even though it's been said some Prawn farms do add a bit of "colour" to the stock like the Salmon farmers, most of those things do not need substantial wild food.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    I don't call personal insults 'content'. Especially given that the only thing I have done is to post something you disagree with.

What passes for moderation on this site?
    You remind me of someone of fishnet when it existed , get a sense of humour mate . It’s not life and death . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Holy hell batman ..... this thread is still going

Did I miss anything ?

I did manage my best snapper in many a year while I was away Happy .jpg

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    You remind me of someone of fishnet when it existed , get a sense of humour mate . It’s not life and death . Matt
    Fishnet, they were the days, got pretty serious before it folded up.

I remember reading a while back that they had found a way to grow protein based fish food from a algae or similar which was supposed to change the whole dynamic on fish farming. Essentially it was supposed to largely replace the wild caught proteins that fish were fed resulting in a net positive protein gain.

Not it sure where that went.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Probably not convenient, it's easier to just catch a few tonnes of Pilchards/Slimies/Yakkas than to mess around making food that would not lessen a link in the food chain, the dollar has always had the loudest voice, and let's be honest, if you had a nation queuing up to pay silly money for Abalone or Tuna (or anything else) why wouldn't you cater for them? what really hurts is we will readily accept their rubbish Catfish and toxic Prawns that Supermarkets pedal to the masses, while they dine on our prime quality exports.