Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell us about your snapper gear

Tell us about your snapper gear

Hi All

Over the past couple of years - I've got back into my offshore snapper fishing & am really enjoying it ….. no wonder it's probably Australia's most popular fish.
    What has interested me is just how broad the range of tackle used for snapper is ….. from rods , reels , line , leader , rigs etc

I even see it in my own gear & how it has progressed from when I fished for Snaps in the 1990's .

Anyhow - I thought this would make a good topic as everyone gets to share their favourite gear , what works for them ….. techniques etc

We can also include what people are using for the other reds up north

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Tell us about your snapper gear

My own snapper fishing is focused predominantly on shallow to medium depths - 5 - 50m with a general focus on 30-40m . Anchoring / spot locking rather than drifting …… I cant remember the last time I drifted for them.
    So it's look for fish (spotlock) & send down a cube of pilchards / slimies / bonito ……. a send down a lightly weighted bait down the cube trail.

I have to say that I love fishing a baitrunner in this situation ….. & I'll be damned if there is anything like seeing that baitrunner spinning before engaging that reel & hoping for a solid hookup . I've got a couple of outfits for this style 1) Heavy which is a Wilson Venom 15-40lb & Shimano Thunnus 6000 loaded with 30lb Daiwa J Braid …… typically I run 2m of 30lb FC leader. This has been my go to outfit
    My lighter outfit is a rod that I found gathering dust in a tackle store is a custom made Strudwick Sofbods 6-8kg blank but with a fairly long rear Hypalon grip …. The unique feature was the use of recoil guides ( so with this sensitivity it also makes for a nice placcy rod) - Matched to this is a 4000 Shimano Thunnus with 20lb Daiwa J Braid ….. Typically running 30lb FC leader

Rather than just a running ball sinker down to the hook - I've incorporated a small swivel & lumo bead ….. I then run a 50cm leader with a ball sinker down to the hook . lumo - swivel .jpgHook.jpg I find that this arrangement stops the line twist or fouling when using bigger strip baits - additionally if I use a double snelled hook set up & need to change sinker weights because of depth or current , I can simply cut the leader at the swivel - change the sinker & retie . It also allows me to have premade leader sizes & set ups ready to go …… say if mackerel turn up .
    Anyhow this seems to be working ok for me

So that's my floater snapper arrangement.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

T-curve 5-10, Sustain 5000, 30lb Fins, 30lb FC Rock, Dayoo (RIP) jig heads (Nearly all gone ), 7' Gulps

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    T-curve 5-10, Sustain 5000, 30lb Fins, 30lb FC Rock, Dayoo (RIP) jig heads (Nearly all gone ), 7' Gulps
    That's a good placcy set up - How deep do you fish ?

Yep on the FC Rock leader ….. That's my go to leader - really good abrasion resistance

Ta

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Tell us about your snapper gear

http://www.elkatfishing.com.au/produ...s-snapper-rig/
    These rigs are a go to for a lot of snapper fishos at the moment ,the sinkers on them give your Phillies a nose first attitude and look more natural when float lining . I use a 4500 and 8-10 egrell when offshore just in case something a bit bigger takes my bait . I have just bought a 3000 brazino and a medium wieght rod for everything else now . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    That's a good placcy set up - How deep do you fish ?

Yep on the FC Rock leader ….. That's my go to leader - really good abrasion resistance

Ta

Chris
    That's my heaviest SP set up...up to 80M.....love the old (Ian Miller) T-Curves, nearly have the full set 1-3, 2-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-24....just need the 24-37 now (Will never use it but I like to have full sets)

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    That's my heaviest SP set up...up to 80M.....love the old (Ian Miller) T-Curves, nearly have the full set 1-3, 2-5, 5-10, 10-15, 15-24....just need the 24-37 now (Will never use it but I like to have full sets)
    Yeh , Ive owned (still own) a couple of the lighter rods ……. They aren't as good today as they were when the first brandy coloured ones came out .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Does anyone think that snapper are leader shy ?

I've fished down to 16lb FC when fishing placcies - but gee I dont have a lot of confidence even on a average size fish. I saw my mate recently fish 12lb braid & 10 lb leader - He got smoked a few times , he couldn't control one fish which ended up cutting my leader when we had a double on (good fish too) . dunno about going ultra light

I use 30lb mainly but can vary the short bite leader from 20lb / 30 / 40 up to 50lb in an area that have kings , cobes & macks active .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

My bait fishing Snapper gear is the same as I have used for decades, a 7' rod, a semi decent reel and 15-20lb mono, the only difference is I fish lures as well as bait, usually some kind of heavy plastic or small metal lure, one in the rod holder, and one actively "fished" the system works for me.

Noel

as we know - plenty of old school methods work in fishing and in most cases we probably over think things . A simple hand line can catch plenty of snapper.

I do like using lighter gear - braid etc ...... I find the fishing aspect more enjoyable and especially the fight through a sensitive rod Even in the last couple of decades going from an ugly stick to the likes of the Venom is leaps & bounds ..... and just adds to the whole fishing experience .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey Nagg, for me it is my trusty 7’ Eric Grell rod and Daiwa Branzino 3000. Usually float line as light as possible. Also use this outfit for plastics as well. I wish Eric was still making rods.

Many and varied from 50lb outfits in both overhead and spin for bottom bashing right down to a PE1.5 Gomoku overhead sporting a Calcutta 400 with a power handle as well as a few outfits in between. Currently a big fan of running a jig - Oktas usually with a stinger sporting a half pilly off the back end. Got well and truly molested last trip using a Chasebait smash squid rigged in a similar fashion. Very one sided and somewhat brief encounter

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Hey Nagg, for me it is my trusty 7’ Eric Grell rod and Daiwa Branzino 3000. Usually float line as light as possible. Also use this outfit for plastics as well. I wish Eric was still making rods.
    I think the S10 made for a pretty good snapper rod - I tried it for barra fishing & didn't really like it unless it was casting heavier swim baits ….. but I'm hearing you . The Branzino mates well with Egrell - I know someone that had the same set up .
    Do you know who made the blanks for Eric ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I fish a couple of different outfits depending if I am in the bay or offshore:

Bay Kit - Stardic Ci4 3000 with 16lb Braid and 20ln Leader on a Pfleuger Trion 2-4kg Rod (the rod bats trully above it's weight but is very supple). Normally a single hook 3/0 or 4/0 Octopus Circle or a Tru Turn 3/0 Double Gang if fishig full Pillies or Squid. Very Light sinker - normally 1-2 Split Shots if that. And I always have an unweight Pillie out the back on a 4500 bait runner with 20lb braid and 20lb leader.

Offshore - Float lining I use a bait runner 6500 with 30lb braid and 30lb leader. I usually have a snell rig on this 4/0 or 5/0 or a 4/0 set of gangs if I get snipped off. Normally I will turn the baitrunner on, loosen the baitrunner drag to as little as possible and use the current and sinker to drift the bait down. Sometimes I will freespool the first half and then engage the baitrunner. I use Klik sinkers alot as I can easily change sinker size to match the curretn/drift.

I also use a 5000 series reel with 30lb braid and 40 lb leader for all bottom fishing. The 500 reel is s Penn Slammer matched with a Pfleuger Trion 6-10kg rod (Best rod I have used I reckon). This can be used for bottom bashing or float lining but works well.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Many and varied from 50lb outfits in both overhead and spin for bottom bashing right down to a PE1.5 Gomoku overhead sporting a Calcutta 400 with a power handle as well as a few outfits in between. Currently a big fan of running a jig - Oktas usually with a stinger sporting a half pilly off the back end. Got well and truly molested last trip using a Chasebait smash squid rigged in a similar fashion. Very one sided and somewhat brief encounter
    Yes - I've got a couple of oddity style outfits for snaps ….. including a Gomoku overhead Pe 1-3 matched with a Saltiga 15H - Then a MetalWitch Spin Pe 1.5 matched to Daiwa Certate 3500 …… both are nice outfits but in all honesty I hardly fish them because I enjoy float lining so much . Maybe with my week away at South West Rocks in the next couple of weeks I'll give them a good run.

Last Christmas - I lost my 3 Octas along with every chase bait I had at a particular location on the NE corner of Hayman Island ….. 30 & 50lb braid & I never landed a fish . Anyhow I'm restocked with smash squids for SWR & plan to use them around fish rock & green Island …… I certainly do like using them.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO