Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell us about your snapper gear

Re: Tell us about your snapper gear

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I think the S10 made for a pretty good snapper rod - I tried it for barra fishing & didn't really like it unless it was casting heavier swim baits ….. but I'm hearing you . The Branzino mates well with Egrell - I know someone that had the same set up .
    Do you know who made the blanks for Eric ?

Chris

CTS from NZ made Eric Grell rod blanks I think.

Quote Originally Posted by blairv70 View Post
    I fish a couple of different outfits depending if I am in the bay or offshore:

Bay Kit - Stardic Ci4 3000 with 16lb Braid and 20ln Leader on a Pfleuger Trion 2-4kg Rod (the rod bats trully above it's weight but is very supple). Normally a single hook 3/0 or 4/0 Octopus Circle or a Tru Turn 3/0 Double Gang if fishig full Pillies or Squid. Very Light sinker - normally 1-2 Split Shots if that. And I always have an unweight Pillie out the back on a 4500 bait runner with 20lb braid and 20lb leader.

Offshore - Float lining I use a bait runner 6500 with 30lb braid and 30lb leader. I usually have a snell rig on this 4/0 or 5/0 or a 4/0 set of gangs if I get snipped off. Normally I will turn the baitrunner on, loosen the baitrunner drag to as little as possible and use the current and sinker to drift the bait down. Sometimes I will freespool the first half and then engage the baitrunner. I use Klik sinkers alot as I can easily change sinker size to match the curretn/drift.

I also use a 5000 series reel with 30lb braid and 40 lb leader for all bottom fishing. The 500 reel is s Penn Slammer matched with a Pfleuger Trion 6-10kg rod (Best rod I have used I reckon). This can be used for bottom bashing or float lining but works well.
    Nice to hear another fan of the baitrunners
    The Pflueger's have always been good value for money - I have a President 6-10kg which is my knockabout / mates rod …… it's certainly the oldest rod I own that still gets used - must be close to 20 years old - The cork is starting to go but man it's a solid rod

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

8-10 kg livefibre with a 760l penn live liner rigged with 25lbs low stretch mono ( i like white or pink ) with 3 ganged 7766's in 4/0 and a pilly with a 4 or 6 ball on the hooks , if i'm really fussy i'll use a cast-net lead on the lead hook instead. pretty much the same rig for mackerel.

simple but deadly
    BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Live fibre 6-8kg and Shimano triton rods coupled with baitrunner reels for bait fishing. For plastics I have a venom x 15-40lb with a daiwa Catalina 4000 (which I actually think is too heavy) and a nitro viper with a Stradic 4000. I want to get a decent 3-6kg rod with a 3000 daiwa which I think would be perfect size for snapper plastics and soft vibes which I reckon are great for snaps.

Good thread, hopefully more people post.

Cheers

I don't fish deep for my snapper but I just use a 4to10 lb Graphite USA and Diawa 2500R hypercustom with 15lb powerpro and 20lb leader I only fish lures and soft plastics and it will catch any size snapper all day long.

Haven’t done it for a while but loved catching a good snapper using one of my Alvey reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Well I'm a sportsman and fish shallow
    NOT
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    NOT
    Great for those bucket mouths in deep water. I got rid of those clamps and replaced them with an Anderson plug, just wasn't happy having spark making equipment on board.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    I don't fish deep for my snapper but I just use a 4to10 lb Graphite USA and Diawa 2500R hypercustom with 15lb powerpro and 20lb leader I only fish lures and soft plastics and it will catch any size snapper all day long.
    Nice outfit ….. certainly love those Hyper Certates & should have bought one when I had the chance . I reckon they were the best of all the certates .
    Every now & then I drag out my light outfit which is a Samurai Reaction 6-12 & an ATC Valour SW5000 (same size as a 2500 Daiwa) loaded with 15lb powerpro ……… but I've been dusted a few times on good snapper - kings & cobes . So it generally only gets used if I want to have some fun or I've got the fish rising up a pillie trail .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Haven’t done it for a while but loved catching a good snapper using one of my Alvey reels.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The dog dish …..
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    NOT
    which nipple does the red clamp go on ???

BigE

Shallow fishing out to 120 feet will see only two on board.Once anchored a berley trail is established and a three in one snapper rack type rod holder is positioned either side of the bait board set flat.My side will see three baitrunners one spooled with twenty pound mono the other two with twenty five,rods are nothing special,Silstar powertips.All three rigs will have different sinkers sitting right on the hooks until I can get the line going down at the same angle as the berley trail,if I need bigger than a four ball I will start to play around with leads above the swivel (rolling black) as well as on top of the hooks (VMC 4/0 octopus in permasteel snelled ).If using pillies the head has to face away from the sinker,strip baits I try to keep uniform.Baitrunners are set so as the boat rises with the swell line is peeled off the spool,most times I will peel of a bit of line as well generally of the inside rod.The way I start the process will have the inside rod get close to the bottom first so in it comes the other two are jockeyed across one spot with the wound in rod going to the outside to start the process over again.If things are slow I will drop a snapper lead over the side as well with cut bait.If the young bloke is with me the same will be happening on the port side.
    From thirty two fathoms out it's a deck winch and drifting.Again I don't like more than two simply because it takes at least a pound and a half of lead to spin the winch,I only have two winches and unless you are using the same lead your not going to hit the bottom in the same spot/same time and a pound and a half is not nice to get up in time.Positioning the boat is everything,first drop I will mark anything and check out the length of the plot line from when I let go the lead till it hits the bottom,this is then how far I will travel past the school and drop.I do not drift more than thirty seconds and I never hit that show more than three or four times unless it's huge,you will scatter the fish if you do,so three or four drifts and find another show,same again until you have a few spots marked up then back to the first.At this point I will tell you.......If the person at the helm can't get the positioning of the boat correct shallow or deep the best fisherman in the world will not catch fish.