Thread: Just another snapper report

Just another snapper report

Gday guys, just a brief report. We left the powerboat club boat ramp at 0600 in a mates Yamaha 232 boat. It was his time offshore and his first boat.
    The bar was dead flat as was the trip to the beacons to jig bait. With plenty of yakkas onboard we headed to the 12 mile for nil. We headed to wide Caloundra for nil, we then went to the 100m line and caught all of our fish. We ended up with 9 snapper, 3 Moses and a couple of pearlies.
    We can back to camp on the 12 mile at about 8.00pm and caught nil again. Up at 5.30am to a bit of a westerly and the skipper getting a bit uncomfortable so we pulled the pin.
    All up it was a great trip with a good feed of fish, great weather and the Yamaha boat performed well.
    The boat was bought to be a general purpose family boat with a spot of fishing here and there. It definitely was not designed to be a fishing boat🤭 but it is just right for the owner.

Cheers
    LeeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0468.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	120007Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0465.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	120008

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Just another snapper report

Good report Lee, would probably have popped out in mine but had tradies coming for a quote and couldn't change the date as this one is hard to get hold of.

I'm always worried about bow riders crossing a bar, do you keep the doorway open in case you take on some water so it flows through.

Hi Sam, yeh we did have the door open but it would be ugly if you did take a wave as it is a self draining deck with only a 1 inch pipe that drains. It is really only a good weather boat to have offshore but the owner would only ever be out in perfect weather anyway🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

My brother bought a bow rider but it isn't self draining, he had thoughts of crossing the bar on a good day but he hasn't gathered up the courage yet.

Sounds like he gave it a good maiden voyage and covered a bit of ground.
    It would have been cosy with three of you out there overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Finicky, yeh did some miles alright. Was pretty cosy, only 2 people fishing at a time. Sleeping was ok, 1 up in the bow, and 1 down each side. It is couches all around with only a little open area in the middle. No fishing inside the boat, we were out on the swim platform bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Hi Finicky, yeh did some miles alright. Was pretty cosy, only 2 people fishing at a time. Sleeping was ok, 1 up in the bow, and 1 down each side. It is couches all around with only a little open area in the middle. No fishing inside the boat, we were out on the swim platform bit.

Haha.
    It would have been a change for you compared to being out in your rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member OcciferNick's Avatar

Another nice haul of fish, awesome.

What rig rig were you using for your live baits in 100m mate? I’ve fish for kings in 80m where we just hooked the livey through the nose with a circle hook and where the swivel joined the main line to the 2-3m leader we tied on a snapper lead. Curious what your rigs for snapper are in this depth.
    “Filthy Oar”
    Stessl 5.3m centre console
    90hp Suzuki

Finicky, yeh it was a bit different, tough getting cold in the early morning and then getting bullets in the face on the way home from a light shower. I think I am getting a bit soft as I get older.
    Occifer, I just use a snooded pair of 6/0’s with a soft glow bead then a 6 ball on top of the nose hook. Smaller ball or larger ball depending on current