Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: How big is too much to handle?

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    Cheers all.

Is there a valet service at boat ramps ? I'd like the valet to park and retrieve the car ...

:-)

There is 'boat latch' (https://boatlatch.com/) and 'boat catch' (https://boatcatch.com/) which one is better / works ? Are they the same thing essentially ?

Rgds,
    I looked at boat catch after a client showed me their one ……. it's a bit of kit & expensive - spring loaded for catching & pull a chord for release ( it can hold bloody big boats) but you'll be putting your hand deep into the pockets at around $800. A downside is that you have very little margin for error when driving the boat onto the trailer ( a couple inches either way off centre & you wont be in the slot)
    A latch like Bar catch is very simple - near to 1/3rd of the cost but just as effective without the need to pull a rope & then tidy that rope up once launched

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    For everyone that doesn't have a built-In boat catcher like Chris's Barcrusher, what does everyone else use for a catch/latch.....?
    Personally I winch on. Even when single handed. My local has a pontoon and my trailer is set up with a gangway. I can easily step from one to the other. This may get more complicated of course as the body gets older but it means a lot less trailer maintenance. As Fed mentioned, the old school version of the boat catch/latch is as simple as a good solid rope with an eye spliced in both ends. Usually it's set at a length that allows the boat to slide a few inches back when the winch is undone (once you are over water). To let go, simply apply enough power to come forward and create slack so the rope can be lifted off the cleat and placed on a convenient hanger attached to the trailer. Then power down and assuming your rollers do as their name suggests, you launch. Retrieving is basically the reverse procedure with a few inches of winch work and fitting the safety chain before driving up the ramp.

As we are now at the confessing stage I too winch my Vagabond on to the Tinka trailer with a power winch 912.
    I lower the boat into the water using a climbing * to slow the boat as it rolls off the trailer while it pulls the powerwinch cable out so its ready to attach on retrieve.

The rear rollers on the trailer get submerged and the boat bow gets pulled up to them with the painter or paynter and the line is run through a hook under the winch on the winch post and keptt tight while I wallk to the bow and attach the winch cable. I keep the boat against the trailer while I walk back to the Power winch 912 and then use it to haul the boat up.

This is done solo and has been my method of choice for many years. Trailer maintenance as mentioned by Scottar is negligable.

It takes longer that some other methods but I don't care, I have time as I am well and truly retired and I rarely use a ramp at weekends if at all.

Cheers
    Chimo

PS I also winch my new 1988 Cavalier onto its trailer with a hand winch before it comes up the ramp.
    What could go wrong.......................

I'm a wincher.
    To launch unhook & it rolls off with a rope attached to pull it to the sand or pontoon.
    Retrieve by pulling the bow over to the trailer, hook it to the winch cable & pull the remote string on the powerwinch.
    I retrieve with the rear roller just out of the water so it's less than a foot deep at the back of the trailer.

As far as size goes it makes no difference you still have to go through the same steps and it's not as if you need to be strong or athletic to do it.

Ditto to that , wincher also with remote . Winch it off n on only 4.9 mtr mind you but will do same when step up to 5.5mtr . So handy with a remote winch as walk in off the trailer ,tie off , park car and hopp on boat n away i go , soooo easy..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    For everyone that doesn't have a built-In boat catcher like Chris's Barcrusher, what does everyone else use for a catch/latch.....?
    L&R boat latch , best money i've spent.

BigE

nice and easy
    Attached Images Attached Images

It looks to me the L&R boat latch bolts on to the pre-existing tow point of the hull whereas the BoatCatch needs holes drilled through the hull. This is a significant difference between the two IMHO.

I have a 6m walk around platey that I fish regularly by myself. I have a drive on custom trailer and catcher that works well but quality of ramp with little side current makes it easy. Just takes a little while to work out a routine that works for you. Age isn’t the barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Got a Katchya boat latch similar to to L&R but a bit more beefed up bow eye. works good.

@Patfink - do they have a website? I can't see any results on my search ...

Interesting to hear that blokes winch solo .....

I'm yet to see anyone on their own do this well when conditions deteriorate , wind / tide - both . I know I've had to help several boaties over the years who were in all sorts of mess .
    Just seeing someone trying to manoeuvre a tonne or two of boat in a cross wind looked pretty difficult & stressful.

don't worry - there have been challenging times driving a boat onto a trailer over the years too

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Smakka2301 View Post
    @Patfink - do they have a website? I can't see any results on my search ...
    They did have one, can't find now though, they were up Hervey bay somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Interesting to hear that blokes winch solo .....

Chris
    Guide posts on trailer help a lot if winching solo

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    As we are now at the confessing stage I too winch my Vagabond on to the Tinka trailer with a power winch 912.

Cheers
    Chimo
    Haha ..you guys sound like its a guilty pleasure using an electric winch..

I reckon whatever works easiest for you and causes the least disruption to others at the ramp...

There is nothing worse than getting my boat lined up and starting to hand winch it on and then have some guy that's out of practise with driving on, turn the water into a muddy washing machine ,driving back and forwards and wash my boat off the rollers.....One guy even ran into my boat one day he was so useless at driving on...He said he hadn't done it for 12 months and I suggested that peak time on the weekend at the ramp with another 10 boats waiting for him wasn't the best time to practise..

Sometimes I wonder if their isn't a direct correlation between having a small brain but owning a large and expensive boat...