Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Surtees 650

Re: Surtees 650

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Glass and foam stringers ......are all there "cracked" to be, alot of skill required to make this technique work long term ..... certainly not the level of skill found in mass production.
    That's why Haines Signature only have a 5 year warranty on thermolight constructed boats compared to 10 years for wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtom View Post
    Hi All
    I have a Surtees 650 gamefisher and it is excellent for me.
    I too thought it would be lighter from the spec sheets. However mine comes in about 2080kg with 2/3 tank of fuel.
    It has a 24v minn Kota and 2 batteries for that unit, plus normal start and house battery. I think the minn Kota and batteries adds about 80-100kg. Have a 200 Yami 4 cylinder, and a few options. With full fuel, ice in eskies and gear it goes 2100-2200kg BMT. Trailer is electric over hydraulic redco I think about 600kg. So really it is the rig that's about 1500-1600kg. With twin oatboards it would weigh a bit more.

Rides beautifully, rarely bangs and when conditions are ordinary I can lock in ballast water to smooth ride out more.
    Not sure how it compares to other custom plate boats. I'm sure some are better and some worse but it suits me.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Ausfish mobile app
    Yes that makes more sense. They are bit lighter than some other plate boats of equivalent length - but not in the order of 500 plus kgs. The flooding keel is there more to compensate for the steep deadrise rather than lack of weight.

I too would'nt base it on weigh these days everything structual is built with computer programs they analise the structure for acceptible strength why would u over build something if its well and truely suitable for the job its designed for it would just be wasting money in a failing economy

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I too would'nt base it on weigh these days everything structual is built with computer programs they analise the structure for acceptible strength why would u over build something if its well and truely suitable for the job its designed for it would just be wasting money in a failing economy
    Oh Gaz...if only we lived in world full of naked virgins and unicorns...

Hi Disorderly
    Yes the 80lb minn Kota works excellent on the650. It is a 72" long shaft. The 60"shaft would be too short if some chop. It holds in windy conditions much better than I expected and batteries last very well. It has its plus and minuses. Adds weight but some up front which can be good. Have had a few issues with auto deploy but that seems sorted now. Makes holding a spot a breeze and easily move around to close areas. Also I drift sometimes and just turn it on when I go over some good ground to hold there a while and extend fishing time on that spot.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Different style of fishing in QLD Steve...you would lose heaps of fish without being able to get around the cab....

My new boat is a centre cab..it will make life a whole lot easier..no more climbing over the windscreen when the Spanish are doing their laps..I certainly wont miss that...

Ok fair enough
    Have only caught them when fishing for spottie mackerel up on the nsw north coast

Didn’t seem to be a issue out of the charter boats but then not a large exposure to them

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Oh Gaz...if only we lived in world full of naked virgins and unicorns...
    Having trouble with the Unicorn, the other is OK........

Do surtees measure same as barcrusher? If so, the 650 is really a 5.8m boat. As said, any 6m true plate boat would be 2t on the water. If you are going from a quality glass boat, go a quality custom plate like svensson, rip tide etc. I went from a signature to a svensson and no way I would go back.

Where does all the weight come from? info suggest my fibreglass 5.7m boat comes in at 850kg bare hull, engine 190kg, trailer 400kg thats only 1440kg, 500kg in fuel and fishing gear/esky? i really cant see that much being added

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Where does all the weight come from? info suggest my fibreglass 5.7m boat comes in at 850kg bare hull, engine 190kg, trailer 400kg thats only 1440kg, 500kg in fuel and fishing gear/esky? i really cant see that much being added
    I guess you have a point there Gazza most likely the next boat I am getting is 7.5 m overall counting the bow spirit 5 mm bottom and 4mm topsides and 250 hp max and it comes back in at 1060kg dry hull weight but it does have a 400 litre fuel tank and it does have the option of 325 mm side decks around the cabin should be able to take on a Spanish with that no doubt and not have to worry about a green one coming over the top though I have not had a problem yet landing them and baby blacks or who’s with my little bc it makes it more sport driving and landing pelagics solo it’s definitely fun bring on tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    I guess you have a point there Gazza most likely the next boat I am getting is 7.5 m overall counting the bow spirit 5 mm bottom and 4mm topsides and 250 hp max and it comes back in at 1060kg dry hull weight but it does have a 400 litre fuel tank and it does have the option of 325 mm side decks around the cabin should be able to take on a Spanish with that no doubt and not have to worry about a green one coming over the top though I have not had a problem yet landing them and baby blacks or who’s with my little bc it makes it more sport driving and landing pelagics solo it’s definitely fun bring on tomorrow

And yet my brother in law has just been through the process of upgrading his trailer for the same size cabin style custom alloy rig to 4 ton so he can legally tow it with fuel in the tank - with an alloy trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    And yet my brother in law has just been through the process of upgrading his trailer for the same size cabin style custom alloy rig to 4 ton so he can legally tow it with fuel in the tank - with an alloy trailer.
    You have to remember there is a big difference between weight of a boat on the water and a boat on a trailer because normally when you go to a 3 ton trailer you are pushing nearly another ton just for the trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    You have to remember there is a big difference between weight of a boat on the water and a boat on a trailer because normally when you go to a 3 ton trailer you are pushing nearly another ton just for the trailer

That still leaves 1.5 ton to account for fit out and engine,
    a single 250 Yamaha,
    assuming the alloy trailer does come in at a ton . I've deducted 500kg for fuel. Stuff adds up. My point was simply to indicate that boat size or construction alone, is really no indication of the final outcome of the weight of a BMT package. There are so many small extras and other variables that add up to a pretty substantial number that the ONLY way to know the outcome is to put a rig over a weighbridge unless you can get ironclad weights from the builder (good luck with that) or weigh every item that goes in. If indeed, your hull has a "bare" weight of 1060kg, it won't weigh anything like that once fitted out. It's hard enough to get a actual fitted weight of an outboard - usually they are stated as dry weights without props and the necessary rigging let alone the rest of the boat.