Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surtees 650

Surtees 650

Hey guys was at Brissy boat show last week and had a look at the 650 game Fisher. Does anyone have any reports on it as it seemed pretty dam impressive as I currently have a 6m victory and am maybe looking at something with twin outboard for long hauls.
    Cheers

Re: Surtees 650

Swap out a victory for a Bakcrusher..?....Sounds like a step backwards to me ...

and apparently according to the website the boat, motor and trailer only weighs 1500kg....???..
    Surtees BMT.JPG

personally if I wanted a boat predominately for bluewater use and gamefishing it would be glass all the way..

Boatrower understandable that u want twins with a nick name like that haha i guess we have both been there before...

Not too sure about a step backwards, maybe a step sideways?

you dead right there gazza. Snapped the crankshaft in an engine once luckily was only 500mts from boat ramp.

Just doesnt seem to be many decent fiberglass boats in that size with twin outboards. Looked at the seafarer vagabond with twins but seemed too pricey and the quality has dropped off with seafarer now.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just out of curiosity..... what is your reasoning for twins? Maybe a small cat would be a compromise?

If you really are fixed on a new platey with twins, this noble copy could be an option....you can just specify how you want the transom built...and can get them with enclosed windscreen/cab if you like.....

6.5 LOA for under 30K ..then you just add trailer, motors and electrics..

twin Noble.jpg

Surtees make great boats, well designed with the fisherman front and centre. The 650 GF is a superb example IMO.

And with 10 year structural warranties (from a company that will likely still be around to honour it in the unlikely event that its needed.)

They will customise it to an extent to suit your requirements.

I have seen nothing but good reports from owners both here and in NZ.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Have you seen the Vag with brand new twins for $75 K ?

Actually $72,500 but add freight..

It will need the transducer moved to fit trim tabs that make a great boat even better. 9 by 9 Lencos worked a treat on mine.

... https://www.boattrader.com.au/boats-for-sale/seafarer-vagabond/ATFD3497077

What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Swap out a victory for a Bakcrusher..?....Sounds like a step backwards to me ...

and apparently according to the website the boat, motor and trailer only weighs 1500kg....???..
    Surtees BMT.JPG

personally if I wanted a boat predominately for bluewater use and gamefishing it would be glass all the way..
    Nothing wrong with a low towing weight. Out on the water you can use the locking ballast system and increase the hull weight significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    Nothing wrong with a low towing weight. Out on the water you can use the locking ballast system and increase the hull weight significantly.
    Do the maths mate....any other 6.5m custom plate boat with a cab will have a BMT dry weight of 2000kgs plus depending on alloy or steel trailer....mine is over 2100kgs (1290kg hull)...It cant have too much plate in it at 1500kg BMT (trailer 500kg, motor 250, Hull 750..??)….even a Yellowfin or Trident 6500 hardtop has a hull weight of 1060kg......You need to have some weight in a platey otherwise its just going to bang in the chop just like a pressed aluminium boat....

You can add 300kgs to the bare hull weight of the 650GF just by closing the ballast door.

And in my experience the addition of that weight right down in the keel makes a real difference.

As to how much alloy in it - you have no idea. This boat has 5mm bottom 4 mm sides and I have seen the underfloor structure and workmanship. First rate and backed by 10 year warranty.

How the hull performs is not just weight either for that matter. Hull design makes a huge difference.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Math does not come into it.
    The Surtees are a weapon and used in extreme and harsh conditions where they were designed to perform offshore N.Z.
    I've been fortunate enough to fish in Surtees both here and NZ and I can honestly say I did not experience the banging like a pressed aluminium hull.
    Whether that be there hull design, there ballust system, I cannot comment on that. But I would be more than happy to go in nasty stuff in a Surtees that any fibre glass hull would.

Col

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Do the maths mate....any other 6.5m custom plate boat with a cab will have a BMT dry weight of 2000kgs plus depending on alloy or steel trailer....mine is over 2100kgs (1290kg hull)...It cant have too much plate in it at 1500kg BMT (trailer 500kg, motor 250, Hull 750..??)….even a Yellowfin or Trident 6500 hardtop has a hull weight of 1060kg......You need to have some weight in a platey otherwise its just going to bang in the chop just like a pressed aluminium boat....
    I'm not sure why you want to bypass my point about the ballast locking system which negates your argument about the advantages of extra weight. So not giving anything away in on water performance and the towing perspective of a BMT of well under 2T - what's not to like?

PS: if you go over 2T you need power assisted brakes and a breakaway system which is an extra expense and maintenance hassle.

Yeah if I have to "lock" water inside a boat to make it sit and ride acceptably I'll give it a miss thanks....and if they want to make the boat too narrow that you cant even walk along the gunnel to get around a boat when a Spaniard starts circling then whats the point..

I just quite simply think Barcrusher and Surtees are overrated and for the money there are heaps of better options out there in terms of value for money..

I was in a BC 575 yesterday ..How about that fold down hardtop only fit for habitation by a very small family of hobbits....and apart from not having much fishing space, all I have to say is it looked well built and from what I can see the resale value is good, which makes it so much easier to get rid of when you realise you can do better...….

Look, I'm not trying to start a war here...but if you have that much money to spend on a new boat why wouldn't you go to one of a half dozen highly reputable custom builders who have fine credentials and have years of fantastic builds behind them and have a hand made boat built to you exact specifications ...I just don't get it...