Thread: Fishing 1770 (Seventeen Seventy)

Thumbs up Fishing 1770 (Seventeen Seventy)

G'day All

This is my first post, so go easy! LOL

Anyway, I'm planning on heading to 1770 in February next year (2020) for two weeks with my family.
    I have a Brooker 410 with 30hp (Two Stroke) tiller steer. Basically, I'm after some information from anyone that has been there and fished in a smaller boat and whether there are any reefs or wrecks close enough for us to head to. I'm a very careful angler so will obviously pick my weather conditions suitable enough.
    If you have been up there and fished inshore what species did you catch? I want to troll lures up and down near the heads too and see what comes up also but any help would be appreciated.
    I have the Navionics app on my phone already, but haven't used it yet so hoping this will help.

Thanks again
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Fishing 1770 (Seventeen Seventy)

Hey mate, that time of year can be tricky in a small boat to fish to far out with the northerly’s and storm season

Can be done but like you said pick your days. Drop in and see Tony and his son at the Agnes tackle shop and have a yack to him. He helped me out years ago with his wide knowledge of the area and if you buy something he’ll no doubt give you some GPS marks for your type of boat.

Another option for your style of boat is Baffle creek which is a short drive out of town. Plenty of Barra, Jacks and muddies. Just watch the rock bars and again seek local knowledge.

Good luck it’s a magic place.

Yep, what Ducks said. Also, you can get amongst jack, black bream and plenty else in round hill creek. Tiller steer 4.2 would be a little hairy for me. Although me and Manboobs went 70k's off Fraser in a 4.6 side console. Never again. But yeah, you can go to baffle or you'll find some good jack and fingeries around that part of the world. We popped up to Eurimbula too once and it was interesting. You have to head north for a few k's and skirt the beach, then head over a little bar to get in there. It's a crab sanctuary as well I believe.

PM me for further details.

We fish 1770 quite a lot, but usually NOT in the summer months.... April to November usually.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Yep, what Ducks said. Also, you can get amongst jack, black bream and plenty else in round hill creek. Tiller steer 4.2 would be a little hairy for me. Although me and Manboobs went 70k's off Fraser in a 4.6 side console. Never again. But yeah, you can go to baffle or you'll find some good jack and fingeries around that part of the world. We popped up to Eurimbula too once and it was interesting. You have to head north for a few k's and skirt the beach, then head over a little bar to get in there. It's a crab sanctuary as well I believe.
    Yep... Eurimbula is only a Mud Crab sanctuary... still put the pots in for sandies
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Right, nice one Phillthy.

My first two trips to 1770 in a 4.5 metre both resulted in a week of fishing for whiting in the creek. Make sure you take the yabby pump, the light gear and some crab pots as a "plan B". It can be a windy p#@*k of a place.

Thanks for the advice, mate. I might even call Tony at the store and see what he has to say.
    If there is rubbish weather, It'll be a good idea, as you say and head to the creek. Cheer!
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    My first two trips to 1770 in a 4.5 metre both resulted in a week of fishing for whiting in the creek. Make sure you take the yabby pump, the light gear and some crab pots as a "plan B". It can be a windy p#@*k of a place.
    Thanks mate, I will take my pump just in case.
    Regards
    The Complete Angler
    Fish Responsibly

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another style of fishing if you’re pretty agile and have the legs is land based fishing at a place nicknamed “The catwalk” off the 1770 headland. Again Tony or one of the locals will point you in the right direction

Some pretty good YouTube footage of Spaniards, GT’s etc caught off the the rocks. One of my favourite places to fish is “Wreck rock” in the Deep water national park. Plenty of rocky reef and a easy 4wd which sometimes you find you have the whole beach to yourself and if you have kids, great little rock pools for them to snorkel and swim whilst you fish.

My favourite part of the world and if the misses didn’t get diagnosed with breast cancer we would of hung onto our shack up there.
    One day we’ll retire there.

Bustard Head to the north would not be out of the question in favourable conditions.Simply look for the two outside protruding rock formations and find a spot on the ledge that in your case (coming from the south) will jump up as you arrive.Fuel is your friend up there always take extra.

Quote Originally Posted by The Complete Angler View Post
    G'day All

This is my first post, so go easy! LOL

Anyway, I'm planning on heading to 1770 in February next year (2020) for two weeks with my family.
    I have a Brooker 410 with 30hp (Two Stroke) tiller steer. Basically, I'm after some information from anyone that has been there and fished in a smaller boat and whether there are any reefs or wrecks close enough for us to head to. I'm a very careful angler so will obviously pick my weather conditions suitable enough.
    If you have been up there and fished inshore what species did you catch? I want to troll lures up and down near the heads too and see what comes up also but any help would be appreciated.
    I have the Navionics app on my phone already, but haven't used it yet so hoping this will help.

Thanks again
    I've been fishing up there for decades!!!! used to take two hours to travel the last 60km as it was rough dirt road, it's changed & grown so much.
    I've caught plenty of nice macks right out the front of 1770, towing rigged pike, slimy mack, chopper tailor...ran out of bait one day and rigged up a whiting...it worked!!! Just keep an eye out for bird activity. My favourite spot was up at Bustard Head, towing around outer rock, it might be a tad too far for you...your call on that. Anyway, late in the afternoon for pelagics, also caught a BIG GT just out the front as well, got an Australian line class record for that, thought I had a shark on. Baffle is good for jacks. Muddies everywhere, I prefer mack tuna frames for bait, use the fillets (with skin on) for bottom fishing... waste nothing.
    Cobia city is found at Cetacia, an old wreck, sorry if I've spelled that incorrectly, don't have the marks with me ATM, but not hard to find, it's also trevally central.
    I've not long ago sold my holiday house up there miss it, but way too much work cleaning and gardening when I would rather be fishing.
    Happy fishing.
    cheers Roz.

Forgot to add, you have Awonga dam for the barra.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!